BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #67
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu View Post
Yeah, I never want to hear you bitch about how much your BMWs cost up there again. We get cheap goods, but pay for it in the long run in other ways.

Unfortunately, untill our dollar hit the stratosphere about 4 years ago on the strengh of oil and gas and other natural resources that seem to be popular around the world, our car prices were LOWER than in the US (how quickly we forget) and there was even a grey market for cars bought here new and re-sold in the US, untilmanufacturers started to make noise about not honoring warranties in the US for new cars from Canada sold there.

Not to worry, our exchange rate will adjust, after all our prices did not ago up here, they are just higher when compared to the US prices bcs of the appreciation of our dollar.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #68
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I don't know how long Quebec can hold on to some of it's traditions and hope to remain competitive (I'm a Quebec ex-pat BTW). It wold kill me to pay Quebec taxes. In Alberta, on the other hand, I think the pendulum has swung too far to the right when it comes to energy deregulation. When it comes to utilities there really is no such thing as a truly competitive market. Is the competitor going to run parrell gas lines or hydro lines? The provincial gov't has opened up "competition" in these industries, but it has just served too boost my energy bills. I don't give a shit from whom I buy my energy. One electron is the same as the next.

It kills me when some Americans (or Ontarians for that matter ) start a sentence with "In Canada..." like we are a homogeneous entity.
It's called personal income f&8*%6 taxes Our corporate tax rates are actually lower than most US States (certainly the Eastern seaboard). OUr personal Provincial rates are comparatively high, and the cost of full time employees for a company is a little higher(the payments and contributions made by a company to the government) (though not as much higher as one would think at first glance).

Of course we do not believe in competition so our electricity and natural gas are provided by government monopolies and despite recent fee increases we pay amongst the lowest electricity rates in North America .................................................. .(now I am a die-hard capitalist; there is something wrong with that statement, I wonder why the higher Alberta competition results in higher prices for them, not lower )
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #69
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu View Post
For maternity, I think we get 6wks ... unpaid. Paternity is nothing, except there are some vague provisions under the Family Medical Leave Act. But again, it's unpaid.

Because my son was born premature, my wife took 9wks, again unpaid. And her boss was all over her pressuring her to come back to work or be fired. Which isn't legal, but the burden would be on her to get a lawyer and go after him. He was a dick though, so the minute we didn't need her healthcare to cover the medical expenses of my son, she quit.
I have always found that, with some exceptions in certain States, US employment law is pretty harsh from the perspective of the employee.

Note though that here, as in the US, maternity/paternity issues are local (Provincial). Right now Quebec has the most generous system-which has resulted in a mini baby boom. Now if we can keep up the baby boom thing, maybe we have an answer as to who will keep the system going for the next generation.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #70
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

I hear you obLu!

I lived on a Green card for 8 years in the US, loved it, but I found that some aspects (like as you describe) make it pretty hard to be middle class. Somehow our social net helps people live normal lives a bit better.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #71
Viral
Major
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Back on topic:

OP, you should look into importing your car from the US. My brother has done it 3 times and my cousin twice........they saved at LEAST 5 grand each time.

We're looking into an S550 for my Dad this spring......should save about 20 grand after all is said and done.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #72
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

On a 3 series the price differencial after duty etc. doesn't really make it worth it. On higher end cars it can work well.
Appreciate 0