BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-27-2022, 09:35 AM   #23
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by its55 View Post
Does anyone here use Starlink internet service? Wondering how it works for you.
I don't have Starlink, but I've been watching the missile launches that put the satellites into orbit.

When this baby hits 88 MPH, you're gonna see some serious shit!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614808.50
      02-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #24
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Do you think that they have a second path? In these parts back in the day, Time Warner's backbone would swamp their alternate paths when their primary path had issues.

Mediacom's corporate HQ is located a few towns away from me, despite not having a single franchise agreement anywhere in the region. I see them advertising for network engineering jobs locally on occasion, and strangely I do not know anyone who works for them.....
That's why it would be nice to see their routing topology. If they don't have a secondary path, then that's another fail for an ISP this large. Your point is valid about having traffic being overwhelmed when all traffic is routed to the alternate path. But again, that would have triggered performance alerts at their NOC which would not require 3 days to figure out. In actuality, there is no real primary and secondary path at this level. It's all based on routing/performance metrics being shared by BGP peering with other member routers. What may be the preferred path one day may not be the next day depending on what is happening on that circuit.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614808.50
      02-28-2022, 07:28 PM   #25
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Update on Elon Musk's promise to send transmitters to Ukraine.

Less than 48 hours after Musk announced SpaceX would send them, sure enough, they arrived on Monday. Dude comes through again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
vreihen1614808.50
BMWGUYinCO4044.50
      02-28-2022, 08:32 PM   #26
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

We have Viasat at the lake. I am so ready for something better and hopefully cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 10:27 PM   #27
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
In a surprising change of plans, we no longer have fiber at our new construction out in the woods like we thought. While they did in fact run the fiber along with the underground electric, I found out that it is not connected to the fiber infrastructure. It is ran from the beginning of my lot and probably a half a mile in… but not actually connected to anything. They say it may be another couple years before they have that in place. Nice that it is future proofed, but not exactly what I was expecting when they told me they ran fiber

Reviving the thread almost two years later - anyone running it care to give feedback? 5G is a no go and other options are less than desirable. I like the idea of Starlink, but I’m not impressed with the vague descriptions and tiered offerings that seemingly are only in place to mitigate their lack of commitment to deliverables (Priority). Would love to hear from some actual users.

I’m home-based with Microsoft Teams calls/video/screen sharing a constant. A couple TVs will be streaming something throughout the day with wife/kids. No time for games, so I really don’t think that level of speed/latency is a driver. Just looking for consistent and no surprise bandwidth throttling. Relatively rural.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 11:57 PM   #28
Donut Lord
Do Donuts
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by its55 View Post
Does anyone here use Starlink internet service? Wondering how it works for you.
I don't personally, but I was part of an off road trip in the mountains of Georgia. One of our off road guides at the end of our night when setting up the tents went out in the middle of a river on a rock to set up a Starlink WiFi device so we could have WiFi.

The rock in the river was the only non-tree covered spot he could get signal and it worked.
      12-16-2023, 02:33 PM   #29
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
In a surprising change of plans, we no longer have fiber at our new construction out in the woods like we thought. While they did in fact run the fiber along with the underground electric, I found out that it is not connected to the fiber infrastructure. It is ran from the beginning of my lot and probably a half a mile in… but not actually connected to anything. They say it may be another couple years before they have that in place. Nice that it is future proofed, but not exactly what I was expecting when they told me they ran fiber

Reviving the thread almost two years later - anyone running it care to give feedback? 5G is a no go and other options are less than desirable. I like the idea of Starlink, but I’m not impressed with the vague descriptions and tiered offerings that seemingly are only in place to mitigate their lack of commitment to deliverables (Priority). Would love to hear from some actual users.

I’m home-based with Microsoft Teams calls/video/screen sharing a constant. A couple TVs will be streaming something throughout the day with wife/kids. No time for games, so I really don’t think that level of speed/latency is a driver. Just looking for consistent and no surprise bandwidth throttling. Relatively rural.
I mean if you don't have cable or something and can't use 5G I'm not sure you have much of a choice.

I have not personally used it, but it's very popular among RVers and I follow a few of them. Seems to be hit or miss mostly based on location. One thing to consider that I've heard a few people mention is that it apparently needs quite a lot of open sky to work properly. So if you have a lot of trees that may be an issue. It will probably get better as they keep adding more satellites but that's what I hear for now.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2023, 05:12 PM   #30
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I mean if you don't have cable or something and can't use 5G I'm not sure you have much of a choice.

I have not personally used it, but it's very popular among RVers and I follow a few of them. Seems to be hit or miss mostly based on location. One thing to consider that I've heard a few people mention is that it apparently needs quite a lot of open sky to work properly. So if you have a lot of trees that may be an issue. It will probably get better as they keep adding more satellites but that's what I hear for now.
The only thing I’m seeing in the area is Windstream. If you’re from the south, everyone knows they’re garbage. The entirety of a nearby town sued them not too long ago actually.

I’m worried about the trees. I’d guess I’ve cleared probably 120x150 or in that neighborhood. Rest is mature hardwoods with no visibility to the horizon aside from broken views looking through the trees in winter. Plenty of open sky above, though.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614808.50
      12-16-2023, 05:32 PM   #31
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
The only thing I’m seeing in the area is Windstream. If you’re from the south, everyone knows they’re garbage. The entirety of a nearby town sued them not too long ago actually.

I’m worried about the trees. I’d guess I’ve cleared probably 120x150 or in that neighborhood. Rest is mature hardwoods with no visibility to the horizon aside from broken views looking through the trees in winter. Plenty of open sky above, though.
Not sure then. I would look into how much clear sky it needs as that's the main complaint I've heard. They probably have an app or something to figure it out but I think it's significantly more than like satellite TV and such.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 05:02 PM   #32
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Finally got Starlink at the lake. Even with 93% obstruction it is 10x faster and more stable than viasat. Good stuff.
Appreciate 2
      12-21-2023, 05:56 PM   #33
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut Lord View Post
I don't personally, but I was part of an off road trip in the mountains of Georgia. One of our off road guides at the end of our night when setting up the tents went out in the middle of a river on a rock to set up a Starlink WiFi device so we could have WiFi.

The rock in the river was the only non-tree covered spot he could get signal and it worked.
Did you sacrifice anything to elon musk after?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 09:29 PM   #34
Donut Lord
Do Donuts
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Did you sacrifice anything to elon musk after?
Just my soul
      12-22-2023, 11:52 AM   #35
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:

i switched from verizon 5g to starlink for my jobsite and its been great so far for us. good speed, enough for ~10 guys to all be on a computer uploading and downloading stuff to our server plus 30 or so guys on their phones on the wifi during breaks, no issue with video calls or anything like that. No downtime for the last 7 months. Install was super easy. Just mounted the dish to a wood stand we made and started the app and it runs you through everything.

if you cant get a fiber connection, its a pretty solid option. i believe you are able to use their app/website to make sure it will work in your location.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2023, 12:06 PM   #36
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I have it and if you don't have any traditional option, I think it's the best you can get when you compare against other satellite providers. I have had it a year now using the roam package. Although it's $150 a month, I only pay when I turn it on. I have had a few regular ISP outages this year, somewhat uncharacteristic, and used StarLink so I could keep working at home vs returning to the office in those situations. It has been great for home and work use and has only gotten better over time with latency dropping from 40ms to more like 20ms along with about 250mbps download and 30mbps upload IIRC.

I am considering switching to the new dish when it's offered because I am a nerd and asked if they have any trade in/up programs but they don't. So I'll probably try to sell it after I get the new kit.

I forgot to mention that I also wired everything so that I can do failover going forward, I just don't keep the dish outside all the time. You could also do dual ISP if your router supports it and doesn't provide you with a big enough pipe.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2023, 12:11 PM   #37
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I forgot to mention that one of the nice upgrades is that you no longer have to use their router and can bypass it if you want. The provided router works well but if you have a separate mesh setup, it alleviates any range concerns.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614808.50