BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #23
imstimpy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstimpy View Post
You hit the nail on the head. No Check Engine light any longer. Regardless of the readiness states, a car cannot pass emissions if the Check Engine light does not illuminate upon startup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDPS
Check 1 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) or Service Engine Soon Light, Check Engine Light, Check Engine Symbol check
This is considered the bulb check portion of the test. The light must come on when the ignition is turned to the ON position and the light must go OFF when the engine is started. The inspector answers these two bulb check questions as either a PASS or FAIL. If the light is not working, the vehicle will FAIL the test, because the purpose of the light is to alert the driver of the vehicle that there is a problem with the OBDII system (exceeding emissions) and the vehicle needs to be diagnosed and repaired.
My mistake. The big yellow engine picture does not illuminate. However, the small SERVICE ENGINE SOON light does illuminate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
In Texas, you're allow to have 1 of the 3 sensors show as "Not ready" and still pass. I've done it the past 2 years as I was battling some Procede issues that repeatedly triggered the "Increased Emissions!" warning. I reset the OBDII readiness (disconnected the battery for a bit) completed the drive cycle up to the point where the 02 sensors were shown as "Not ready", took the car in, and passed. I can scan a copy of the pass cert. if you'd like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDPS
In order to get the monitors set back to Ready, the vehicle must be driven through a drive cycle, which is a combination of city/highway driving for a set period of time. This drive cycle relearns the OBDII system and rechecks all of the emissions component's individual systems. As each system completes its own self test, the monitor will set back to Ready.
Effective October 15, 2008:

For vehicles year model 2001 and newer, we allow one (1) non-continuous monitor to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but two (2) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.
For the BMW N54/N55, tuners disable the rear O2 sensor to prevent the cat inefficiency code. That might be the same for the S65 but I'm less familiar with those. So long as all other systems are functioning, you could pass emissions with the single Catalyst monitor as NOT READY. My car is showing two, I'm assuming one readiness check for the front O2 sensor and one readiness check for the rear O2 sensor.

Quote:
Is there any reason outside of principle that you can't remove the tune, go through the drive cycle and pass, and then re-install the tune?
A factory tune is not going to run a vehicle with larger injectors. One could disconnect the supercharger belt, swap injectors, and restore the factory calibration once per year but my God that is a lot of work.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #24
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
In Texas, you're allow to have 1 of the 3 sensors show as "Not ready" and still pass. I've done it the past 2 years as I was battling some Procede issues that repeatedly triggered the "Increased Emissions!" warning. I reset the OBDII readiness (disconnected the battery for a bit) completed the drive cycle up to the point where the 02 sensors were shown as "Not ready", took the car in, and passed. I can scan a copy of the pass cert. if you'd like.

Is there any reason outside of principle that you can't remove the tune, go through the drive cycle and pass, and then re-install the tune?
What tool did you use to test whether or not the O2 sensors were ready? I'm just driving the car around for 100 or so miles and taking it in in hopes everything is ready.
      02-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #25
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
What tool did you use to test whether or not the O2 sensors were ready?
I bought this one and it works great. I did find that with my OBDII splitter that allows me to keep the P3 gauge connected all of the time (the $18 eBay one) I need to have the car off but the ignition on to get the reading. Before I had the splitter I could have the car on or off.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #26
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
What tool did you use to test whether or not the O2 sensors were ready? I'm just driving the car around for 100 or so miles and taking it in in hopes everything is ready.
I followed the readiness procedure *except* for what was required to bring the 02 sensors into a state of readiness.

I use the Android App "Torque" along w/a OBDII bluetooth connector I mentioned in my Android my OBDII splitter DIY thread.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908501

$25ish or so for the app and the OBDII connector.

Quote:
A factory tune is not going to run a vehicle with larger injectors. One could disconnect the supercharger belt, swap injectors, and restore the factory calibration once per year but my God that is a lot of work.
My bad, I wasn't aware you were supercharged. You mentioned being "in a similar boat", and I assumed you just had a tune. Apologies.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 02-26-2015 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #27
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5, C63 AMG Black Series

Quote:
Just use a generic OBD scanner. They sell plenty of them on eBay and online. The one I have is this one. There is a section on the home menu on the tool that says "state inspection" and click that and it tells you what systems are ready or not.

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9575-.../dp/B003IOKPLO

There are cheaper ones out there that get the job done also.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #28
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
They should be able to do the same thing ESS does. Make sure you follow the drive cycle a couple times and have the stock xpipe back on the car.
I thought the evolve tune makes the cat and 02 monitor ready without cats?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #29
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
I thought the evolve tune makes the cat and 02 monitor ready without cats?
I can assure you that it does not - I tried everything. I had to install my cats to pass inspection with the Evolve supercharger.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #30
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
I can assure you that it does not - I tried everything. I had to install my cats to pass inspection with the Evolve supercharger.
With the supercharger, perhaps, but I thought their N/A tunes, forced the cat monitor to show readiness? Someone help me out with this one.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #31
bluecusion
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: X5M competition

I have passed emissions with Evolve tune without supercharger
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #32
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

If you guys need the O2s to show readiness, you can inquire about the S65 / E90 M3 DPFIX made by burger tuning. Basically O2 sims that get plugged into the ecu. This is how I got my N54 to show readiness with a cobb stage 2 flash, on all monitors.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #33
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecusion View Post
Well thats encouraging... how recent was your tune?

My car is at ACM now and i'm going to try and pass, i'm pretty confident there won't be a issue.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #34
BobS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If you guys need the O2s to show readiness, you can inquire about the S65 / E90 M3 DPFIX made by burger tuning. Basically O2 sims that get plugged into the ecu. This is how I got my N54 to show readiness with a cobb stage 2 flash, on all monitors.
Burger stopped selling it.... I passed my 335 with catless dp's also using BMS's dp fix.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #35
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep

My M5 has an Evolve tune with headers (no cats) and the only thing that is not ready is secondary O2 monitoring (to prevent check engine light). If everything is applied correctly on the tune from them then the problem must be the drive cycle not being performed correctly. I pass state inspection with no problems.

Basic rules for drive cycle no heavy throttle input, keep rpms below 3k, and avoid speeds that will exceed the 3k rpm limit, usually 60mph or so depending on the gearing. There is an official document from BMW that is given to techs to preform drive cycles, but I had it down to a science each time I was required to get a car ready for state so I don't have it with me. It would take me about 30 miles or so to get all systems ready, although some cars would be on the opposite sides of the spectrum.

Just wanted to pass this along to say it is possible to pass with an Evolve tune (no Alpha N). A supercharger with tune that is a different story..

A local buddy of mine has an E60 M5 with ESS VT2 and he has not been able to pass state inspection despite numerous tunes from ESS. A majority of his emission monitors are never ready even with stock section 1-2.

Last edited by SuckaGDog; 02-26-2015 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #36
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog View Post
There is an official document from BMW that is given to techs to preform drive cycles, but I had it down to a science each time I was required to get a car ready for state so I don't have it with me.
It was posted earlier in this thread

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=10

Quote:

Once your calibration has all systems enabled, you also need to fit your driving into a couple drive cycles:
http://www.europeantransmissions.com...0Procedure.pdf
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #37
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecusion View Post
Did you have any monitors not ready?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #38
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog View Post
A local buddy of mine has an E60 M5 with ESS VT2 and he has not been able to pass state inspection despite numerous tunes from ESS. A majority of his emission monitors are never ready even with stock section 1-2.
That's so odd. What's so different about a supercharged setup?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:59 PM   #39
BobS
Colonel
Rep

Well I know 2 people with a supercharged Evolve m3 that have passed... so i'm confident I will pass.

From what i've researched, you need to have the stock Xpipe/cats in place and run a tune that allows all O2 sensors to go ready. Many of the common tunes, have the front o2 sensors turned off and that will never pass inspection.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #40
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It was posted earlier in this thread

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=10
Yes sir thats it lol.

Quote:
That's so odd. What's so different about a supercharged setup?
Pretty sure it's due to the fact that ESS converts from MAF based to Alpha N with the s/c setup for the S85 motor.

Alpha N even on stock S85 motor will not pass inspection.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #41
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Burger stopped selling it.... I passed my 335 with catless dp's also using BMS's dp fix.
Still, I think it would be a good idea for you to talk to burger tuning. Who knows, they may bring the product back. Or at the very least, terry could have one or two lying around in his office that you can buy from him.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #42
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Still, I think it would be a good idea for you to talk to burger tuning. Who knows, they may bring the product back. Or at the very least, terry could have one or two lying around in his office that you can buy from him.
I found a used BMS downpipe fix for the S65 and I have it installed in the car now. I had tried it before and it didn't do anything but when I removed it I realized that I had one of the pins installed one slot off in the wiring harness. Eventually I put it back in and without my special tune loaded the sensors still don't go ready. I am going on vacation for a week but I will try the special tune that allowed the sensors to go ready while the device is installed when I return.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #43
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
I found a used BMS downpipe fix for the S65 and I have it installed in the car now. I had tried it before and it didn't do anything but when I removed it I realized that I had one of the pins installed one slot off in the wiring harness. Eventually I put it back in and without my special tune loaded the sensors still don't go ready. I am going on vacation for a week but I will try the special tune that allowed the sensors to go ready while the device is installed when I return.
Aren't you Evolve sc'ed? Have you been able to pass inspection?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #44
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I was contributing to this thread initially to provide the drive cycle details, which I've been going through multiple times per calibration. But since you asked, I'll tell you that I'm also dealing with this because the two calibrators at Evolve I've dealt with so far are complete imbeciles.
It's like damn near impossible to get a hold of Evolve.
Appreciate 0