BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

08-07-2020, 04:17 PM   #45
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyferg7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post
I think the E9X is in an interesting spot.

The appreciating E46 M3 only further puts the spotlight on well maintained E9X M3.

Who buys a 30k E46 with 100K when that type of money gets you a clean E92 M3?

As a caveat, the E9X market still needs to go through its 3rd "cheap as hell - run it into the ground" type of owner that will take cars off the market, forever. This will continue in the next few years.

Usually those tend to be lesser desirable cars anyways (08s and all the wrong options). This is happening now as you can find some beat up examples in the teens.

I think as we move along in time, the mileage aspect of these cars will become less relevant and proper body & mechanical maintenance will be key. This seems to be happening in the E34/39/46 world.

The G80 buyers will be F80 guys for the most part. F80s prices will absolutely get crushed over the next few years.

It will have some effect on the E90 market as they will be cross shopped, but IMHO it will lead to further appreciation of the E90 generation.

The G80 comes rolling in during the greatest economic crash of a hundred years. The lease rates and discounts will be insane and further drive F80 prices down the gutter.

I ultimately think well maintained, LCI and ZCP E92s will forever stay above 30K, no matter the mileage.

Haha untill gas cars are no longer allowed
That won't happen if your lifetime.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #46
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Potentially looking at this one due to color and spec with manual. Is it worth the high price?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #47
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Potentially looking at this one due to color and spec with manual. Is it worth the high price?

$47k for 38k mile IB 6MT? If it's worth it to you. Seems insanely high!
      08-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #48
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Agreed.

I'd let my car go (including all the goodies I've put on) for roughly that, and I'm only at 24k miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 12:07 AM   #49
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lol u might as well get a faster f80 for 38 that's ridiculous nothing against the e92 m3 but it is 2 gen old at this point and even though manual is a rare spec I wouldn't pay almost 40 grand for one
Who buys an E92 for speed?
What are you doing here?

Your post makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:29 AM   #50
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Lol u might as well get a faster f80 for 38 that’s ridiculous nothing against the e92 m3 but it is 2 gen old at this point and even though manual is a rare spec I wouldn’t pay almost 40 grand for one
i think this guy's lost

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:04 AM   #51
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
Quote:
Lol u might as well get a faster f80 for 38 that's ridiculous nothing against the e92 m3 but it is 2 gen old at this point and even though manual is a rare spec I wouldn't pay almost 40 grand for one
i think this guy's lost
A quick look at his post history will tell you a lot about the guy.

19 y/o and waiting on tax returns to shop an M3 - he's exactly the type of buyer I described that will drive poorly option'ed cars into the ground.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #52
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post
Quote:
Quote:
i think this guy's lost
A quick look at his post history will tell you a lot about the guy.

19 y/o and waiting on tax returns to shop an M3 - he's exactly the type of buyer I described that will drive poorly option'ed cars into the ground.
Come on guys, let's not get too high and mighty. The kid has a point. Paying $47k for a E9x is a lot for what you're buying in 2020. That's all.

Regardless of spec, it's a car meant to be driven. These aren't Ferrari's and can generally be had for $25-$35k which plenty of folks can pay cash for.

I'm 35, have put > 20k miles in my two years of ownership at just over 40k miles. I love every second driving and I have absolutely every intention to drive this car into the ground both on the track and street. These are dumb "investments".
      08-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #53
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Come on guys, let's not get too high and mighty. The kid has a point. Paying $47k for a E9x is a lot for what you're buying in 2020. That's all.

Regardless of spec, it's a car meant to be driven. These aren't Ferrari's and can generally be had for $25-$35k which plenty of folks can pay cash for.

I'm 35, have put > 20k miles in my two years of ownership at just over 40k miles. I love every second driving and I have absolutely every intention to drive this car into the ground both on the track and street. These are dumb "investments".
Sure, objectively the F80 is faster, has nicer tech, and is surprisingly reliable. Subjectively there are elements of the E series cars in general (E46/E39/E9x) that if you're willing to get nit picky, people are willing to still pay for.

A $40k F80 will continue to drop to a point, then years from now when people get sick of the G buck tooth cars and so many of the F80's become affordable enough to be destroyed, I'm sure some people will start to want those cars as well.

The E46 and E39 market confirms what you can probably expect for a well maintained E9X in the future. It'll be a few more years before you see super high mileage E9X 100k+ cars readily available for high school kids to start buying up en masse.

Assuming one car has a better or worse depreciation curve then another isn't saying it's a bad investment, but its a good way to plan for total cost of ownership over a longer period of time.
      08-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #54
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Quote:

Sure, objectively the F80 is faster, has nicer tech, and is surprisingly reliable. Subjectively there are elements of the E series cars in general (E46/E39/E9x) that if you're willing to get nit picky, people are willing to still pay for.

A $40k F80 will continue to drop to a point, then years from now when people get sick of the G buck tooth cars and so many of the F80's become affordable enough to be destroyed, I'm sure some people will start to want those cars as well.

The E46 and E39 market confirms what you can probably expect for a well maintained E9X in the future. It'll be a few more years before you see super high mileage E9X 100k+ cars readily available for high school kids to start buying up en masse.

Assuming one car has a better or worse depreciation curve then another isn't saying it's a bad investment, but its a good way to plan for total cost of ownership over a longer period of time.
All good points but not exactly a reply to my post. I never said anything about f80s being better than e9x. Just that $47k is a lot for that e9x in 2020.

Further, because I wasn't clear, I don't get the point of belittling a 19 yr old for a relevant and valid point.

I find speculating on the future value of a mass produced car hilarious. Insurance, gas, maintenance, depreciation and for those that financed the car interest will exceed any monetary appreciation gained over the next 10 years except for the .05% EAG class cars.

The e9x M3 is an awesome and mostly very affordable entry into performance cars. Just enjoy it.
      08-20-2020, 06:44 AM   #55
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
All good points but not exactly a reply to my post. I never said anything about f80s being better than e9x. Just that $47k is a lot for that e9x in 2020.

Further, because I wasn't clear, I don't get the point of belittling a 19 yr old for a relevant and valid point.

I find speculating on the future value of a mass produced car hilarious. Insurance, gas, maintenance, depreciation and for those that financed the car interest will exceed any monetary appreciation gained over the next 10 years except for the .05% EAG class cars.

The e9x M3 is an awesome and mostly very affordable entry into performance cars. Just enjoy it.
Yeah I dunno.. I have owned 4 E9x M3 and the depreciation hasn't really been there if you want to use it as a weekend car which many do. Thats one of the draws. They cost more now than they did 2 years ago when I purchased my last one.

Also not sure where you get your car loans but I can borrow money for way less than I make in the market.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #56
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:

Yeah I dunno.. I have owned 4 E9x M3 and the depreciation hasn't really been there if you want to use it as a weekend car which many do. Thats one of the draws. They cost more now than they did 2 years ago when I purchased my last one.

Also not sure where you get your car loans but I can borrow money for way less than I make in the market.
Maybe e90s cost more, but most e92s sold on here are lower today than 2 years ago. That's especially the point with this $47k example. Nothing suggests it's worth that.

Yes, the ole "I borrow money because I can generate a market based return in excess of my interest". I'd rather invest in addition to owning my cars outright. That's the beauty of not dropping $100k...

My point is less than 1% of owners will ever break even let alone make a single dollar in excess of what they've spent.

It's a mass produced car. Enjoy it however makes you most happy.
      08-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #57
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe e90s cost more, but most e92s sold on here are lower today than 2 years ago. That's especially the point with this $47k example. Nothing suggests it's worth that.

Yes, the ole "I borrow money because I can generate a market based return in excess of my interest". I'd rather invest in addition to owning my cars outright. That's the beauty of not dropping $100k...

My point is less than 1% of owners will ever break even let alone make a single dollar in excess of what they've spent.

They were e92s. I agree enjoy them however makes you happy. But if you want to keep them, rarely drive them, and act more like its a collectors car it will hold value. That was my point.

Its not hard to generate 10% in the market. Any decent Vanguard Index fund.
Appreciate 1
DRLane3968.00
      08-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #58
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:

They were e92s. I agree enjoy them however makes you happy. But if you want to keep them, rarely drive them, and act more like its a collectors car it will hold value. That was my point.
Fair, I agree with that!
      08-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #59
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Low mile E90 and E92's will always command a premium, especially as the years go by. These cars were universally revered when new and the styling has stood the test of time. Supply and demand always dictates price. Although these cars were mass produced they will continue to have a declining supply and the demand will always be high.

Just my opinion
      08-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #60
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Low mile E90 and E92's will always command a premium, especially as the years go by. These cars were universally revered when new and the styling has stood the test of time. Supply and demand always dictates price. Although these cars were mass produced they will continue to have a declining supply and the demand will always be high.

Just my opinion
If someone drops an e90 manual with decently low miles on the forums right now itll sell sight unseen in a few hours. At least 10 posts looking for one including me.
Appreciate 1
M3R12145.50
      08-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #61
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

One has to be naive to think that a 4L manual V8 M car will not hold its value in this day and age of electric cars and small displacement turbocharged engines. F8X or the upcoming M3 will literally have zero effect on E9X resale, unless BMW goes back to the drawing board and stops producing garbage, which is what they have been doing since 2013. F8X cars are not true M cars and will never hold their value (except certain uber rare models like the CS or heritage edition). Otherwise they'll get hit like a brand new S class AMG and depreciate down to nothing.

Low Mileage lime rock in DCT/6MT, 6spd ZCP E90s and '13 E92 ZCP with 6spd and CF roof in any color with sub 50k miles and sound history are virtually fail proof investments, especially if you can snag one in MR/IB/LMB or an individual color. right now and probably for another 1-2 years is the best time to pick one up... there are still enough good examples out there to keep prices reasonable but in a couple years they will start to shoot up as they age.

I've followed the 46M market for close to 10 years now and owned one for 7 years. I've seen the trend first hand and the E9X will follow the same path. My 46 has raised 10k in value since I bought it.
Appreciate 1
UPSROD941.00
      08-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #62
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyferg7
Lol u might as well get a faster f80 for 38 that’s ridiculous nothing against the e92 m3 but it is 2 gen old at this point and even though manual is a rare spec I wouldn’t pay almost 40 grand for one
You have los angeles written all over you. You would fit right in with a lot of the wannabes there who are suckers for a brand new BMW.

Take a THREE generation old bone stock mint late model phoenix yellow or laguna seca blue E46M 6MT coupe to any dealership in the country and just park it in the visitors lot. The amount of attention those cars will get from staff and techs will give you a whole new perspective.
Appreciate 3
chocstraw495.50
UPSROD941.00
      08-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #63
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
You have los angeles written all over you. You would fit right in with a lot of the wannabes there who are suckers for a brand new BMW.

Take a THREE generation old bone stock mint late model phoenix yellow or laguna seca blue E46M 6MT coupe to any dealership in the country and just park it in the visitors lot. The amount of attention those cars will get from staff and techs will give you a whole new perspective.
PYE46M3 ... phoenix yellow e46 M3
maybe biased just a bit? lol

post some photos

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 08:09 PM   #64
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
PYE46M3 ... phoenix yellow e46 M3
maybe biased just a bit? lol

post some photos
lol im not gonna get into another Phoenix yellow argument. like it or not its an E46 icon.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=51
Appreciate 2
      08-21-2020, 11:29 PM   #65
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol im not gonna get into another Phoenix yellow argument. like it or not its an E46 icon.

that's a beauty
your car is super clean

Appreciate 1
PYE46M3852.00
      08-23-2020, 09:08 PM   #66
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Silver with Grey is the most iconic.
Appreciate 0