BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

02-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
rg1220
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

First HPDE

Hey everyone! In October I got a 2011 e92 M3! I'm planning on going to my first ever track day (HPDE) with BMW CCA National Chapter on May 1st and 2nd. I'm working on a list of everything I need or need to do for the track day. I've been doing a lot of research on what I need but figured you guys would know some specifics related to the e92 M3.

Here's my list of things to bring:
1. Helmet
2. Gloves (my hands sweat a lot so these are necessary)
3. Cooler with Food/Water/Snacks
4. Extra Oil
5. Jack Stands
6. Jack
7. Tools
8. Zip ties
9. Tire Gauge

I've heard people are usually willing to let you borrow things if you don't have them.

In addition to that list, what fluids/maintenance should I do before and after the track day? I don't have much history on this car but I know the front rotors and pads have 3k miles on them (though I don't know what brand of pads they are). Oil is at 3k and will likely be changed in the next month or two (before the HPDE).

So just a couple questions related to maintenance:
1. Brake fluid flush before track day? What about after the track day?
2. Need to worry about transmission fluid or diff fluid being changed?
3. I was going to sign up for the 2 days. Should I get an extra set of brake pads? Should I get track pads and swap them at the track? Thoughts?
4. My summer tires have decent tread left on them. Obviously depends on how much tread is actually left on them, but in general would "new" tires easily last a few track days? Keeping in mind I'm a complete novice so I can't imagine I'll be destroying the tires?
5. Plan on changing oil after the track days regardless of miles?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 04:13 PM   #2
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

I'm also about to do my first HPDE in my M3 this month, so following your thread for any tips that may come up.

But here is some input, keep in mind that I really have no experience and this is based on research and asking more experienced drivers (anyone feel free to correct me if I say anything that's wrong):

I would flush fluid before the track day and use something that withstands a higher temperature range. Castrol SRF is popular because it can tolerate high temps and also last a long time. It is expensive though. There are cheaper racing brake fluids that will work just as well but will need to be changed more often. Good summary of fluid options are here: https://thebuildjournal.com/tech-gui...view-analysis/

I think you should swap to track pads. The tricky part is not all pads play nice with each other on the same rotors. You'll have to do some research on that aspect. I personally went with Carbotech 1521 pads on the street so I can swap to Carbotech XP10 on the track and know that the pad compounds are compatible with each other on the same rotor.

What tires are you running?

I don't think you need to change the oil after one novice track day but that's just me.
Appreciate 1
rg122077.00
      02-05-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Welcome to the best sport on Earth

People are definitely willing to let you borrow things

If your oil has 3k on them you can use it without worrying about anything. No need to change after either. The car doesn't even flinch when you start tracking it

In general, as it's your first time the car will be fine as is.

Brake fluid, this should always be fresh. Just use OEM fluid, it works fine. No need to change after the track day
Tranny/diff fluid are most likely fine. If the car is new to you, you will want to replace this stuff one day
For your first time, if your OEM pads are newish you should be fine. Having another set of OEM pads is a good idea whenever you want to track with them.
I like using track pads even at the beginning, but it's a lot of work and cost to replace and realistically you will be fine. OEM pads don't just fall off a cliff if you're beating them up, it's a gradual loss
Stock tires are also perfectly fine and will last quite a while. There is zero need to go to 'track wheels' or 'track tires' at the beginning.

Feel free to ask any questions you still have
Appreciate 4
rg122077.00
DrFerry6728.50
911r891.00
      02-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #4
Chris_PDX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, NA Miata

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Do a brake flush before your track days. Better piece of mind, especially if you have stock brakes. An extra set of pads likely wouldn't be needed, assuming you are in the novice groups with a coach. You shouldn't be pushing hard enough to go through a set of pads in a single day. Other than that:

1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! If you aren't peeing once an hour you aren't drinking enough. Brain fog can set in quickly driving on track, especially if you are taking instruction.

2. Check your wheel lug torque in the morning when it's cold. Never re-torque when your wheels are hot.

3. Never set your e-brake/parking brake after your sessions

4. I do oil changes every 4-5 days. As a novice you'll be fine for a while as you won't be pushing that hard, most likely.

5. Tranny/Diff is fine. You shouldn't need to change them outside of normal long-term maintenance cycles unless you're doing a bazillion HPDE days a year.

Lastly, have fun!
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11479.50
rg122077.00
redpriest2147.00
slcook541863.00
      02-05-2021, 09:22 PM   #5
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

You seem good for driver prep. People will help with something you forgot. The Summit Point store at the track is usually open.

Have brake fluid (OE is fine) that is less than 6 months old.

Use this for a shop inspection checklist. https://njbmwcca.org/wp-content/uplo...rm-V3-2020.pdf Get you car to a shop 2 weeks before, get it up on a lift and have it gone through. Don't inspect 1-2 days in advance.

Jefferson is a slow "classroom" track. Its a low-pressure circuit to start. You won't be pushing your car hard.
Appreciate 1
rg122077.00
      02-05-2021, 09:29 PM   #6
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg1220 View Post
Hey everyone! In October I got a 2011 e92 M3! I'm planning on going to my first ever track day (HPDE) with BMW CCA National Chapter on May 1st and 2nd. I'm working on a list of everything I need or need to do for the track day. I've been doing a lot of research on what I need but figured you guys would know some specifics related to the e92 M3.

Here's my list of things to bring:
1. Helmet
2. Gloves (my hands sweat a lot so these are necessary)
3. Cooler with Food/Water/Snacks
4. Extra Oil
5. Jack Stands
6. Jack
7. Tools
8. Zip ties
9. Tire Gauge

I've heard people are usually willing to let you borrow things if you don't have them.

In addition to that list, what fluids/maintenance should I do before and after the track day? I don't have much history on this car but I know the front rotors and pads have 3k miles on them (though I don't know what brand of pads they are). Oil is at 3k and will likely be changed in the next month or two (before the HPDE).

So just a couple questions related to maintenance:
1. Brake fluid flush before track day? What about after the track day?
2. Need to worry about transmission fluid or diff fluid being changed?
3. I was going to sign up for the 2 days. Should I get an extra set of brake pads? Should I get track pads and swap them at the track? Thoughts?
4. My summer tires have decent tread left on them. Obviously depends on how much tread is actually left on them, but in general would "new" tires easily last a few track days? Keeping in mind I'm a complete novice so I can't imagine I'll be destroying the tires?
5. Plan on changing oil after the track days regardless of miles?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the hobby, it's addicting.

1. I use Castrol SRF - and I flush at the start of the season and never look back. I've literally done 20-30 days on the same set of brake fluid and it has been fine. At your skill level with the stock brakes it should be 100% ok to set it and forget it. It's expensive, but so is bleeding your brakes every event.

2. I've never changed the diff fluid on my car in 173k miles and 70+ track days. I feel bad for my diff. Transmission fluid I have only changed once.

3. Getting an extra set of pads might be a good idea, just in case. I don't think you'd torch them necessarily at your skill level unless you were dragging the brakes hard. Make sure you understand how to change them before you go if you do decide to bring an extra set, so you're not spending hours at the beginning of the day changing and possibly missing sessions.

4. Just make sure you watch tire pressures. You don't want to cook them by having absurd tire pressures. In the morning bleed out to probably around 28 psi cold.

5. I used to do 15k oil changes. When I started driving hard and tracking, it was 7500 miles or 3-5 trackdays. I start to get uncomfortable after 4 track days even though I'm sure it's still probably ok.

Some things to look out for on this platform when you heavily track:

A) Engine Coolant temperature sensor. There is a TSB that you need to follow to repair this if it happens to you. Tracking the car will cause this to go bad, I replaced 2 of these before I figured out the vibration of tracking was causing it to go bad. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...44020-3150.pdf

B) Engine mounts. The stock S65 engine mounts basically look like molten chocolate cake after 50k miles of driving. What this basically does is it can potentially cause your intake to come loose off the manifold. You can look at them through the front wheel-wells when you have the tires turned. If they look like they're sagging, they're done for.

C) Power steering reservoir - at track temp and high G turns, it will leak and spew fluid all over your engine bay and potentially windshield. Solution - zip tie a cloth around it.

I've had some various electrical things on the car fail which have potentially tarnished track days, so I like to carry a few spares with me now every time I go (camshaft position sensor comes to mind).

People at the track are very friendly, and willing to help out. I've made friends who have helped me out in some really bad binds when I've had to disassemble my E46's airbox/manifold (really annoying work) to get to a bad TPS sensor.

Some tools I've found to be invaluable that I've added to my toolbag:
- Deep socket wrenches of various sizes
- Open ended socket wrenches of various sizes
- Torque wrench
- Breaker bar
- Punches
- Pliers
- Wire cutters (mostly for cutting zip ties)
- Socket extensions of various sizes
- Torx/Security Torx bits
- OBD2 scanner (or laptop with ISTA+ software heh heh)

The air compressor that comes with the car for use with the sealant system actually works pretty well for what it is, and I've used it all the time to top off air etc. It's pretty slow though and annoying to package up.

Don't let the stuff I said about things you should look into when you heavily start to track scare you - it took me a while before I ran into those problems and I don't think you're gonna have any issues with it the first two days you go.
instagram.com/titomanlio

Last edited by redpriest; 02-05-2021 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 4
DrFerry6728.50
rg122077.00
911r891.00
Bartledoo2691.50
      02-06-2021, 08:37 AM   #7
sbo76
Private
Rep
Drives: E46/991.1 GT3 Track

Don’t forget to bring chairs and shade if you have it. There is a lot of down time between groups. Make sure your tires are torqued correctly before the first run. As others mentioned tire pressure is key. Check before and after you get off the track. As the day rolls on your pressures will go up. Basic set of tools is a must. If you have a floor jack bring it but someone will always have one there if you don’t. Also make sure you take everything out of the car that will fly around. I can’t tell you how many times I have had to come off because a deep socket or whatever was flying around the car. Check fluids, brakes and tires after each run.

Try not to be nervous (easier said than done). I remember the anxiety of that first run! Have fun! Your car will do way may than you are capable of right now.
Appreciate 1
rg122077.00
      02-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #8
rg1220
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks everyone! This was really helpful!

I'll plan on doing my brake fluid in April - probably with OEM fluid since I doubt I'll be getting temps too high and since it's so cheap. I'm sitting at 62k miles so I'll check out the engine mounts. Also gotta do spark plugs soon so I'll try and get them done before the track day.

I'll consider track pads too. Do you change them at the track or at home and drive a little more cautiously? I'm about 1.5 hours from Summit Point.

Besides that one last question, I think you guys have answered all my questions for now. I'm sure I'll have some more but at this point I'm just stoked to get signed up!

Picture of my M3 for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
What tires are you running?
I'm on Hankook Ventus V12 evo2. They were on the car when I bought it so just planning on running them until they're done. After that I'll likely get PS4S or similar if I don't get a set of dedicated track tires. I'm also on the stock staggered ZCP wheels.
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      02-06-2021, 10:47 AM   #9
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

If you haven't yet, go grab some motul brake fluid from fcp. Then on your next purchases from them you can warranty the fluid and send it back to them and get free fluid changes!

I kid you not. I've already done multiple oil changes and brake pads and just had to pay once.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 1
rg122077.00
      02-07-2021, 02:24 PM   #10
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

You can run track pads on the street, they just squeak and might feel weak when it's cold out. Rotor life will also be reduced but once you start doing this often, the rotors will crack way before they reach minimum thickness.
rg122077.00
Kelse921131.50
      02-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #11
rg1220
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
You can run track pads on the street, they just squeak and might feel weak when it's cold out. Rotor life will also be reduced but once you start doing this often, the rotors will crack way before they reach minimum thickness.
Great, that's what I was planning on but wasn't sure. I think I'm going to go with Hawk DTC-60's on front and rear. Seem to be what I'm looking for and are reasonably priced at $334.85 for both front and rear on Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 10:13 AM   #12
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great, that's what I was planning on but wasn't sure. I think I'm going to go with Hawk DTC-60's on front and rear. Seem to be what I'm looking for and are reasonably priced at $334.85 for both front and rear on Amazon.
60s are a good choice if you aren't on an R-comp tire. They have a fairly linear feel even at 'warm' temperatures. Once you start getting faster and running a sticky tire, you'll probably want the 70s.
rg122077.00
      02-08-2021, 10:56 AM   #13
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Before you buy from Amazon, check if FCP has your sizes. I get my rear Hawk pads from them and paid once and warrantied twice so far.

Appreciate 2
rg122077.00
Davisca4552207.50
      02-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #14
rg1220
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
Before you buy from Amazon, check if FCP has your sizes. I get my rear Hawk pads from them and paid once and warrantied twice so far.
Hmmmm, they do:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...awk-hb630g-626
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...awk-hb551g-748

Not gonna lie, the first time you said that I thought "hmmm, that sounds rather unethical." But straight from the horse's mouth:

Quote:
Every auto part you buy from FCP Euro is guaranteed for life, for as long as you own the vehicle. Our Lifetime Replacement Guarantee covers everything we sell, including wear-and-tear items like brake pads, gaskets, brake rotors, filters, and wiper blades!

Once the part purchased from FCP Euro wears out, simply purchase a replacement and then return the part you purchased to us within 90 days. We will issue you a refund against the replacement. No fine print, no restrictions, no time limit! Learn more.
Well... Ok then. haha
Appreciate 1
asif16398.50
      02-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #15
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not gonna lie, the first time you said that I thought "hmmm, that sounds rather unethical." But straight from the horse's mouth:

Well... Ok then. haha
To this day, I still don't fully understand how they make money off it, but who am I to question their own words!

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #16
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
Quote:

Well... Ok then. haha
To this day, I still don't fully understand how they make money off it, but who am I to question their own words!
Because the return rate is likely < 1% of revenue, and a huge word of mouth advertising campaign. Look at their MS division, they're not hurting for cash...
      02-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #17
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

The consumables I bring are power steering fluid, brake fluid, a gallon of coolant, gorilla tape, blue masking tape, paper towels, glass cleaner, zip ties.

And hopefully not "consumables", but just in case there is a failure of a brake pad or of an accessory belt, I bring my old accessory belts (my custom belt wrench), and my stock brake pads, in case I need them to make it home.

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 1
rg122077.00
      02-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #18
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

My advice would also be to walk the paddock and just talk to people. There is a lot of nuance and you will hear some good perspectives. Plus, having relationships with other "regulars" can be invaluable later on -- any time I have been in a bind (e.g. missing tool, need extra hands, need spare part), I immediately have a list of people I can quickly find.

Also, figure out who is just a little bit faster than you and grid up behind them.
b4hand661.00
rg122077.00
Davisca4552207.50
redpriest2147.00
      02-14-2021, 09:47 PM   #19
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

https://autowise.com/track-days-ever...o-get-started/
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #20
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Adding to all the great advice mentioned, consider the starting tire pressure to be around 35psi and bleed some air after your first session to keep them around 40-42psi hot. If you start too low and take a few aggressive turns before they warm up, you risk eating into the sidewall as it rolls over. Plus there's going to be a lot of instructing and track familiarization during the first session, so you probably won't be going as quick as you think.

Most importantly, have fun!
      02-15-2021, 08:46 PM   #21
rg1220
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks everyone for the help! I just signed up for my first track day!

Summit Point, Jefferson circuit with BMW CCA. May 1st and 2nd. I'm pumped!
Appreciate 1
dparm3849.50
      02-17-2021, 01:56 PM   #22
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES BMW View Post
Adding to all the great advice mentioned, consider the starting tire pressure to be around 35psi and bleed some air after your first session to keep them around 40-42psi hot. If you start too low and take a few aggressive turns before they warm up, you risk eating into the sidewall as it rolls over. Plus there's going to be a lot of instructing and track familiarization during the first session, so you probably won't be going as quick as you think.

Most importantly, have fun!

40 hot? That seems wayyyy too high. Should probably be gunning for 34-35 hot.
rg122077.00