BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-19-2024, 03:45 PM   #1
Derek MacKinnon
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Help with oil level sensor. **solved**

Still having issues with this oil level sensor. Good part of 6 months ive not touched the car.

Long story short. Car sat for maybe 1-1.5 years in my garage just going out for a mot. Did 50 miles in the last two years.

I’ve had this issue with the oil level sensor not reading oil level for some time now and have been trying to get to the bottom of it.

Basically I can’t reset the oil with the BC button when it’s fully warmed up or after driving a good amount of miles.

I don’t have the clock that spins when you reset it. I only have the -.- as you can see in the last photo.

I’ve got an autel now and had the codes read.
This comes up with oil condition sensor electrical fault.

A few months ago I pulled the plug off the sensor and made sure there were no breaks in the wiring. This was a nightmare as I couldn’t find where the other ends plugged into.

I ended up just last week buying a used engine wiring harness and found the wires for the sensor and had continuity between the sensor pins and the ends of the wires so no issues. I removed my harness off the car and couldn’t get continuity on one of the pins so thought there must be a break in the wiring somewhere. I did try and trace it on the old harness when I removed it but couldn’t trace it.

Anyway new harness in and that didn’t resolve the issue.

I have had a new genuine oil level sensor fitted so don’t know if this is faulty or if it’s related to the alternator code I’m also getting.

I also tried to reset the oil service through the odometer the same way you can reset brake pads and disks. This works fine for the disks and pads but it will not reset on the oil section. It stays at 140 miles no matter what I try.

I’m pulling my hair out. I guess I can take it to BMW but that’s a ferry trip and a 50 mile drive without oil level showing.

Anyone got any ideas on this issue or the alternator issue I seem to have too?

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by Derek MacKinnon; 03-05-2024 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 12:51 AM   #2
yardbro
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E39 528i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [5.00]
There has to be an issue with your wiring in this case, specifically with whatever portion directly goes to this connector. Testing for continuity is not enough, especially with the circuit entirely unloaded as is the case with the wiring harness just sitting on a desk or something. The DME having an internal fault here is possible, but very unlikely.

Try to pull the plug off again and check the 3 different pins individually, especially the Orange and Brown wires. You should have battery voltage on orange at all times, and a solid ground on brown. If you are able and know how, try to load this circuit with at least 2A to be sure that you're not getting a crazy voltage drop off or something. In this circuit fuse 16 is shared with many other components including the cam sensors so it's probably not going to be the fuse lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 06:32 AM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

...last resort drain the oil and refill to ensure the engine has what it needs, and take it to the shop.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 12:14 PM   #4
Derek MacKinnon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardbro View Post
There has to be an issue with your wiring in this case, specifically with whatever portion directly goes to this connector. Testing for continuity is not enough, especially with the circuit entirely unloaded as is the case with the wiring harness just sitting on a desk or something. The DME having an internal fault here is possible, but very unlikely.

Try to pull the plug off again and check the 3 different pins individually, especially the Orange and Brown wires. You should have battery voltage on orange at all times, and a solid ground on brown. If you are able and know how, try to load this circuit with at least 2A to be sure that you're not getting a crazy voltage drop off or something. In this circuit fuse 16 is shared with many other components including the cam sensors so it's probably not going to be the fuse lol.
Thanks for this, ill get the pins checked when i get back from work in a week.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 12:15 PM   #5
Derek MacKinnon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
...last resort drain the oil and refill to ensure the engine has what it needs, and take it to the shop.
Yep, its looking like this will be the case, I do have the option of a trailer but its an expense for the travel but it certainly gives me options, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 02:56 AM   #6
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek MacKinnon View Post
Yep, its looking like this will be the case, I do have the option of a trailer but its an expense for the travel but it certainly gives me options, thanks.
Of course. Did the same and ordered a trailer when I noticed my vanos cap was turned. Small money in the big scale of things...
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2024, 04:53 PM   #7
Derek MacKinnon
Rep

Just to say I’ve finally gotten to the bottom of this issue.

Unplugged the alternator and ran the car up to temp.

The dash came back to life and my oil level was back to actually reading again. So it looks like the voltage regulator will need changed out on that alternator.
Attached Images

Last edited by Derek MacKinnon; 03-05-2024 at 02:47 AM..
Appreciate 4
yardbro61.00
CTMike262.00
CSBM52722.50
      03-04-2024, 10:36 PM   #8
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5, E83 X3, E93 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
That's a great diagnosis. The alternator also has a BSD/LIN signal going to it that most likely crashed the LIN going to the oil sensor. Good thinking!

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2024, 02:49 AM   #9
Derek MacKinnon
Rep

Yeah it was a bit of a pain but glad its solved and hope it can help anyone else in the future.

Photos also rotated now.

Big thanks to yardbro for his help with the wiring and my questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:57 PM   #10
nowayout
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92

Related question regarding the oil level reading. How long or how many miles does it usually take to show the level reading on the dash?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:36 PM   #11
yardbro
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowayout View Post
Related question regarding the oil level reading. How long or how many miles does it usually take to show the level reading on the dash?
Are you asking in general or in this specific case?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:07 PM   #12
nowayout
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardbro View Post
Are you asking in general or in this specific case?
In general. As mine sometimes doesn't register if I am making trips under 15 min
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:18 PM   #13
yardbro
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowayout View Post
In general. As mine sometimes doesn't register if I am making trips under 15 min
Yeah that’s normal. The oil has to reach a certain temp before it will attempt to take a measurement. Sometimes you will find that if you come to a complete stop for a few minutes after driving a short while that it will give you the measurement whereas if you had kept driving it would take a bit longer.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2024, 07:46 AM   #14
Derek MacKinnon
Rep

I was about 10 minutes on idle on level ground before my level reading came back to life. I usually found it takes about that time from cold after an oil change too.

Here you can see my temp gauge seconds after my oil reading came back to life.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1