BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Trevor .:R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 ZCP DCT

Garage List
11 M3  [10.00]
Ess 535 recirculating valve...

Hey guys thinking of going boost. But i like to hear the sound. I was told you can plug the hose to make the car sound like a whistling or what not sound. I was wondering if anyone has done this. Let me know please and videos would be nice !

-Trevor
      08-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
alpine335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3 6MT, 08 e90 328xi

Save a big chunk of money and just get some whistle tips if all you want is sound.
      08-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor .:R View Post
Hey guys thinking of going boost. But i like to hear the sound. I was told you can plug the hose to make the car sound like a whistling or what not sound. I was wondering if anyone has done this. Let me know please and videos would be nice !

-Trevor
LOL... Please tell me this is a LATE April Fools joke. Haaaaaa
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine335i View Post
Save a big chunk of money and just get some whistle tips if all you want is sound.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4

go see bub rub
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

-Trevor
if you're buying boost for the BOV sound, you are def a ricer. But to answer your question, the M3 has no MAF sensor so you really don't need to recirculate the air back into the intake (look at AA setup, one BOV and one Bypass valve). Different valves make different pitched noises (HKS SSQV, TIAL, etc.) but it will never sound like a turbo setup would. You would just need to change the flange on the pipe/manifold and you can run any BOV you want. The HKS Super Sequential is very loud and high pitched whereas others make a whooosh noise when throttle is closed.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

FAIL!!!!
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
      08-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Check 0:42 of this vid. I think this is the sound you want. It's tightie's - yeah ^ this guy - he has a Gintani blower and I'm not sure of the BOV but I understand it may be adapted to an ESS kit.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728911

I like the sound as well so I guess that makes me a ricer
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]

for those who are missing out on this fun filled video
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
Let It Rein
ORNGBLD
Rep
Drives: F80 Sakhir Orange

Lil Sis is HAAAAWWWWWTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
Trevor .:R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 ZCP DCT

Garage List
11 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
if you're buying boost for the BOV sound, you are def a ricer. But to answer your question, the M3 has no MAF sensor so you really don't need to recirculate the air back into the intake (look at AA setup, one BOV and one Bypass valve). Different valves make different pitched noises (HKS SSQV, TIAL, etc.) but it will never sound like a turbo setup would. You would just need to change the flange on the pipe/manifold and you can run any BOV you want. The HKS Super Sequential is very loud and high pitched whereas others make a whooosh noise when throttle is closed.
I'm not buying boost for the bov sound... I want people to know I have something under but not like all crazy... Sorry if you guys misunderstood the question roman from Ess told me many people have done what I'm explaining on their Ess kits. I understand the difference between turbo and supercharger... I was just curious because I heard Gintani runs a wasted gate that sounds amazing. And I was wondering if Ess offere the same type of setup or something and yes they do is what I had heard from Roman at Ess. Thanks for the help guys...
      08-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not buying boost for the bov sound... I want people to know I have something under but not like all crazy... Sorry if you guys misunderstood the question roman from Ess told me many people have done what I'm explaining on their Ess kits. I understand the difference between turbo and supercharger... I was just curious because I heard Gintani runs a wasted gate that sounds amazing. And I was wondering if Ess offere the same type of setup or something and yes they do is what I had heard from Roman at Ess. Thanks for the help guys...
It's pretty obvious (at least to me) that somethings under the hood already. Hearing Powerbeasts Dakar Yellow M3 at idle from across the garage was enough to know there was something special under there.

To me, I think it's best to stick with the whatever setup ESS has tried and tested. Not good to deviate from tested setups unless there is something that requires it. I assume you meant wastegate not wasted gate? Since it's a supercharged car, the blower is driven by the engine and not by a turbine, negating the use for a wastegate. A wastegate is used on turbo cars to regulate turbine speed, and thus to limit the amount of boost that the turbo is producing. A supercharger will make X boost at Y RPM since it's driven directly off the crankshaft and has no direct coorelation between exhaust flow and boost pressure.

You probably meant to refer to a blow-off or by-pass valve. I am not too familiar with ESS's hardware setup, only the software programming required to run a supercharger. The sound that you're probably chasing is the sound of a blow off valve, which is commonly used on turbo applications. The ESS S/C uses a by-pass valve, which recirculates the air back into the intake system instead of to atmosphere. Although you can definitely hear a bypass valve actuate (more pronounced at higher boost levels), it doesn't have that extremely loud "PSSSH" sound that a blow off valve does because it doesn't vent that air to atmosphere. Changing a car setup for a by-pass valve to a blow off valve is certainly not recommended as you can cause a number of issues related to air metering or expected absolute pressure.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
EAS
Rep

Drives: VF620 M3

Quote:
You can easily use the existing bypass valve to vent to atmosphere if you would like, choice it up to you. If you have a DCT car, this can get rather annoying quick as it will always be discharging on deceleration/not in boost. This typically works better on 6MT M3s.

The change is not permanent. Simply cap off the intake and let the BV vent to atmosphere and see if this is up your alley. If you don't like it, simply revert back.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
It's pretty obvious (at least to me) that somethings under the hood already. Hearing Powerbeasts Dakar Yellow M3 at idle from across the garage was enough to know there was something special under there.

To me, I think it's best to stick with the whatever setup ESS has tried and tested. Not good to deviate from tested setups unless there is something that requires it. I assume you meant wastegate not wasted gate? Since it's a supercharged car, the blower is driven by the engine and not by a turbine, negating the use for a wastegate. A wastegate is used on turbo cars to regulate turbine speed, and thus to limit the amount of boost that the turbo is producing. A supercharger will make X boost at Y RPM since it's driven directly off the crankshaft and has no direct coorelation between exhaust flow and boost pressure.

You probably meant to refer to a blow-off or by-pass valve. I am not too familiar with ESS's hardware setup, only the software programming required to run a supercharger. The sound that you're probably chasing is the sound of a blow off valve, which is commonly used on turbo applications. The ESS S/C uses a by-pass valve, which recirculates the air back into the intake system instead of to atmosphere. Although you can definitely hear a bypass valve actuate (more pronounced at higher boost levels), it doesn't have that extremely loud "PSSSH" sound that a blow off valve does because it doesn't vent that air to atmosphere. Changing a car setup for a by-pass valve to a blow off valve is certainly not recommended as you can cause a number of issues related to air metering or expected absolute pressure.

On a Maf car yes it may cause driveability problems when venting to atmosphere. On our cars this doesn't matter as they're is no Maf sensor expecting to read that air. You can either vent it or recirculate it back into the intake. Theres also nothing wrong with changing the bov flange to run a diff valve
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
On a Maf car yes it may cause driveability problems when venting to atmosphere. On our cars this doesn't matter as they're is no Maf sensor expecting to read that air. You can either vent it or recirculate it back into the intake. Theres also nothing wrong with changing the bov flange to run a diff valve
This is true on this car since it's MAP based, the DME will detect the change in pressure when the valve vents and adjust fueling accordingly. But I still stand by my statement that the setup should stay the way it has been tested and designed. Reducing variables in a mix usually leads to more positive results. On a MAF based car it would cause all sorts of issues. EAS makes a good point about the venting on deceleration out of boost. It could get quite annoying, but since you're 6MT try and see if you like it. Personally I'm not a fan of non-intercooled setups, so I'd opt for the 600 kit.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 08-30-2012 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #18
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
This is true on this car since it's MAP based, the DME will detect the change in pressure when the valve vents and adjust fueling accordingly. But I still stand by my statement that the setup should stay the way it has been tested and designed. Reducing variables in a mix usually leads to more positive results. On a MAF based car it would cause all sorts of issues. EAS makes a good point about the venting on deceleration out of boost. It could get quite annoying, but since you're 6MT try and see if you like it. Personally I'm not a fan of non-intercooled setups, so I'd opt for the 600 kit.

not entirely true. The issue lies with MAF based setups as the ECU is "expecting" to see a certain volume of air. when a BOV vents to the atmosphere it creates a false reading as the ECU must adapt to compensate for the non-metered air. What matters is where the readings take place. On a MAP setup you're venting the BOV prior to the intake tract and the air was never accounted for to begin with and will work fine.

There is more to it, but I don't feel like typing anymore.

To the OP, do some reading first as a wastegate is on turbo cars to control boost levels and a SC car using a combo of pulleys on the compressor and crank to create certain boost levels

You need to try diff BOV to see what sound you're looking for. Tial valves sound awesome and the HKS SSQV is more of a high pitched noise. Should be easy to just change the flange on the blower manifold.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post
You can easily use the existing bypass valve to vent to atmosphere if you would like, choice it up to you. If you have a DCT car, this can get rather annoying quick as it will always be discharging on deceleration/not in boost. This typically works better on 6MT M3s.

The change is not permanent. Simply cap off the intake and let the BV vent to atmosphere and see if this is up your alley. If you don't like it, simply revert back.
while I agree it would prob be a little annoying on DCT cars, it really shouldn't matter much as the valve only vents under positive pressure when the throttle plate closes.. You may get a fluttering while cruising but this can be alleviated by adjusting the BOV spring pressure. When the car isn't in boost it should act normal
Appreciate 0