BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-02-2008, 01:31 AM   #45
HammerM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
i know a turn that i can take over 100. i'll try tomorrow morning. here's the thing though when im going anywhere over 70 i dont think i'll hear it too much. we'll see
I'm not sure you need to do it on such a fast corner. just go to a parking lot and turn the wheel all the way on 2nd and the sound should be there already. Running the car at a 100 miles and cornering AND listening for this is quite dangerous...you'll get the suspension to compress more at lower speeds anyways.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #46
thooooorgal
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 = delivery feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerM3 View Post
just go to a parking lot and turn the wheel all the way on 2nd and the sound should be there already. .
agreed, don't need to go to fast, easy to hear even on a parking lot, even easier if you are next to a wall or something like that which will reflect the noise.

Nobody else with a dealer comments on this noise ?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #47
davem3fan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Garage List
ANY cornering will generate the sound... It doesn't need to be fast at all.
Trail braking is fine, but that is another discussion!

I had my wife drive 5mph in circle in a parking lot and listened from outside the car. Went home, pulled and wheel and checked for wheel bearing play.

Take a listen from outside the car if you can.

Dave Flogaus CCA #123862
11 E90 M3 Sedan DCT
94 E36 325is M-Tech (S50)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #48
thooooorgal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem3fan View Post
Here's my theory.

I just put Euro rotors (with the floating radial pins) on my E39 M5... The car never made this noise while cornering before that, but now it does it all the time, UNLESS I apply the brakes... Noticeable only when windows are open.
i can still hear it when i brake, less noise, but still hear it
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 07:18 AM   #49
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Just take the car into the dealership. I did. They said they inspected but fond nothing. But after that, my suspension has been noise free aside from standard tire noise. It could have been a bolt just 1/4 turn too loose. Who knows. My bicycle can make some creaking noises that sometimes are just related to the fact that a bolt is either barely tightened on needs some lube.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 03:26 AM   #50
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

Hi..
I hope I will have soon (late afternoon) the possibility to confirm that something happened and the noise DISAPPEARED...Not alon. After some jobs near the complex front left wheel-brake.
Let me check very well today and probably I will confirm my first impression.

Anyway after my first test few minutes ago I would say :CLICKING NOISE DISAPPEARED!!!
Now I am busy. I will check later today and let you know.
      07-09-2008, 03:40 AM   #51
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Any unusual noise and you should take it to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 04:15 AM   #52
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
Any unusual noise and you should take it to the dealer
It happened to me and others that the DEALERS checked and didn't find anything strange...
This was strange to me
      07-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #53
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
That IS very strange. However, the car is under warranty and they MUST satisfy your concerns if you experience anything unusual with the car...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #54
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Today I changed my Tires.I bought the Sport Pilot Cup +.
Next Saturday I will enjoy another track day and I wanted to test these new tires. Anyway, I was looking again and again at the brake system and front suspension. I wanted to try to find some visual signs of contacts between moving parts in that area since the clicking noise was starting to worry me a lot, expecially if I have to drive the car in a Track Day.
So I didn't found anything wrong. I started to use my right foot hitting with very low force the left brake pliers.I noticed that the bottom had some lateral play (just a little) and the top not. I checked the right brake plier and it was the same. I hitted the top and the bottom just few times and not in hard way. Just looking what happens. That was all I have done. The shop ended the job and I started the driving. At the first corner I was putting all my attention on the attitude of the new tires and not to the clicking noise but I immediately felt that something new happened. So I tested the car exactly in the same turns where normally I had the clicking noise and I was not able to ear anything . I tested many times. Many different turns. I tested again in the afternoon going home from work. Nothing. No clicking noise as before.

The Clicking noise simply disappeared...
So now:

does it depend on the Sport Cup +?? No I don't think...
does it depend from that little gap between the brake pads and the disk? Probably...since I hitted the pliers with my foot and the result is what you are reading.

I would suggest to test the same in your car and see what happens..

Bye
      07-14-2008, 06:01 AM   #55
thooooorgal
Private
Rep

I have perhaps found the origin of this noise.

As a reminder, my dealer had already made a fast check on all the front of the car, and had not detected any serious problem. He told me the noise could be due to some dusts in the hole of the brake discs, which i do not believe at this stage.

He told me to get back 2 weeks after, and that they will clean the hole just to check. But on this day, i had no more noise, so i cancelled the job. Of course, 2 days after, the noise get back ^^

During the 2 followings weeks, the noise was easily heard in each turn.

Yesterday, i have clean my car using a high pressure karcher, and i have just wash also the brake discs .... and the noise is again Gone ...

So perhaps my dealer was right !

Could you please try with your car, and post your findings.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #56
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thooooorgal View Post
I have perhaps found the origin of this noise.

As a reminder, my dealer had already made a fast check on all the front of the car, and had not detected any serious problem. He told me the noise could be due to some dusts in the hole of the brake discs, which i do not believe at this stage.

He told me to get back 2 weeks after, and that they will clean the hole just to check. But on this day, i had no more noise, so i cancelled the job. Of course, 2 days after, the noise get back ^^

During the 2 followings weeks, the noise was easily heard in each turn.

Yesterday, i have clean my car using a high pressure karcher, and i have just wash also the brake discs .... and the noise is again Gone ...

So perhaps my dealer was right !

Could you please try with your car, and post your findings.
Wow really? I'll have to give that a shot next time.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #57
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

bump.. anyone else have the dealer give them any reason for the *something hitting the spokes* sound, in a heavy turn to the right(weight on drivers side)... , i am going to high pressure wash my calipers.. but i dont think thats gonna do much, we'll see..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #58
davem3fan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Garage List
I recommend you save yourselves the extra work and the snake-oil remedies... You can take off wheels, fidget the brake pads and rotate your lug nuts all you like...

But these compound rotors (formerly found only on euro cars) feature the noise as a result of their design. I believe that the noise is the reason that BMW NA didn't put the floating rotors on the US spec cars until the most recent new models. (they knew picky enthusiasts would go nuts over the odd mechanical sounding clicks).

Try it:
When the discs are cooled down, they are rather quiet. (like after being soaked by your pressure washer)
When they are hot, they snap, crackle and pop like rice crispies.
Application of the brakes at low or moderate speeds obviously alters the characteristics of the sound.

If you cannot tolerate this sound, you had better start seeking aftermarket brake discs that feature traditional construction.

I.E.
Either a solid casting or a compound rotor with a removable hat section.
Those won't click like this.

Dave Flogaus CCA #123862
11 E90 M3 Sedan DCT
94 E36 325is M-Tech (S50)

Last edited by davem3fan; 07-14-2008 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: to add a clarification to my point
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #59
HammerM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW DCT

they click even if I just started the car cold, all I have to do is turn right and it will do it

Last edited by HammerM3; 07-15-2008 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 06:25 AM   #60
thooooorgal
Private
Rep

Yes, this is not only link to the temperature of the discs.

i have done 100 miles since the wash of my cars (and the disc), and still not noise (i can again hear a very weak noise, but nothing to compare with the noise before the disc wash).

please try it on your car, wash the hole on the disc with high pressure, and tell us.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #61
Ramphaus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 Melbourne Red/Beige

Quote:
Sounds like playing cards in the wheel spokes... Rather odd.
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I read this thread when it first came out and went out and tried to make the noise - nothing. Today, when driving on an awesome mountain road:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...37594&t=h&z=15)

I had the radio off and the windows down so that I could hear the engine, etc...and the NOISE WAS THERE for the first time!!! Lord...

So did we decide that it was nothing to worry about?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:26 AM   #62
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
My car has been to the dealer THREE TIMES for the issue. They have replaced the wheel bearings twice. It's still happening and its driving me freaking NUTS! Once they replace the bearings, clean the hubs, and replace the bolts, the noise goes away for about 1000 miles or so.

I'm bringing it in AGAIN and for the FORTH time and they said they are going to replace the rotors this time. I'm really upset with BMW that they have not repurchased my car considering the insane amount of problems I've had with it. First it was doing it only in right turns, then it progressed to left turns. Then they did the bearings. The last time they cleaned the hub and put in new bolts. Now I have it in left turns. It gets progressively louder and louder over time/mileage.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #63
SM_M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
Clicking...

Quote:
I recommend you save yourselves the extra work and the snake-oil remedies... You can take off wheels, fidget the brake pads and rotate your lug nuts all you like...

But these compound rotors (formerly found only on euro cars) feature the noise as a result of their design. I believe that the noise is the reason that BMW NA didn't put the floating rotors on the US spec cars until the most recent new models. (they knew picky enthusiasts would go nuts over the odd mechanical sounding clicks).

Try it:
When the discs are cooled down, they are rather quiet. (like after being soaked by your pressure washer)
When they are hot, they snap, crackle and pop like rice crispies.
Application of the brakes at low or moderate speeds obviously alters the characteristics of the sound.

If you cannot tolerate this sound, you had better start seeking aftermarket brake discs that feature traditional construction.

I.E.
Either a solid casting or a compound rotor with a removable hat section.
Those won't click like this.

I thought I heard this clicking when cornering hard w/ no brakes applied...I don't notice any clicking when braking on a straight line...Comments? I also drive an 08 E90 M3...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #64
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Talking

The noise is coming from the rivets on the rotors (part of the 2 piece floating design. )

There is another thread on the topic, I'll search and post a link.

I went to my dealer yesterday to drop of the car for oil change (8am, ~14K miles) Showed the SA the print out of th tread, they where able to replicate the noise and by 4pm I was picking um my car with new rotors covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #65
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Here is the link

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...86#post5560786

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post

This is a completely different issue and is not related to the rear differential in any way. This is a noise that comes from the front left wheel area during moderate/hard cornering. It is a loud and rapid clicking/ticking sound, not the rubbing/grind noise heard from the rear diff at low speeds.

There are actually a few older threads on this (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256813). For those of you who have this annoying problem, here is the story of my quest to get rid of this noise on my car.

I started noticing this noise when turning right, but only if there was some load on the suspension. If I took the same turn at a lower speed, the noise was not present. I found that it was definitely coming from the left front wheel area. I found service bulletin 34 10 08 that seemed like a possible cause, so I replaced the front backing plates with the updated parts. After I put the car back together, the noise was no longer present and I thought the problem was fixed.

After about a week of driving, I started noticing the sound again. Of course, I checked all the front suspension and thrust plate bolts for proper torque, and everything looked fine. Since this was such a strange noise and I knew that is was a fairly common issue (from seeing other member's posts) I decided to contact my Regional Field Engineer to see if he had heard of this problem and what the cure was. Fortunately, he knew exactly what I was talking about and told me that it was coming from the front rotors. The rotors are a 2 piece design and are held together with some type of rivets. There is apparently some kind of movement that occurs, causing the clicking noise.

After replacing the front rotors, the noise disappeared and I have not heard it again since. It has been a few thousand miles and all seems well. In the end, it all makes some sense. I did notice that the sound was very similar (but much different pattern/frequency) to the sound made by the front rotors when they are cooling after driving, but I didn't think the rotors would be the cause of the sound I was hearing. Turns out they were. Strange, huh?
Appreciate 0