BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

01-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
inabis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Need a new phone from AT&T

I need a new phone from AT&T. I basically want a flip phone that has bluetooth and can sync with my computer calender. I've basically looked at all the phones are can't make a decision because honestly they all suck. There's no real phone that stands out in my mind and as ground breaking or something I must have.

I would like a flip but I was looking at the blackberry pearl. It's not too big or fat, does everything I would want it to do and then some. The only real question I have about it is that when you type text messages can you turn off the "complete a word" feature?? That shit was so annoying in the store. Also, as dumb as this may sound, if you hit the button twice it doesn't give you the second letter on the key. If this is confusing, what I mean is if you want the letter 'k' on a traditional keypad you hit the 5 button twice. Apparently not on the Pearl. Is there any way to enable this?? Do any of you guys have this phone? Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
yu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

All you need to do is press the button once. It will automatically figure the word out for you. So say you want to text the word 'keyboard' all you would need to do is press '53926273' and it'll come up as the word. It's pretty cool but it takes getting used to. If I had a Blackberry, I'd personally disable it though. My roommate works at AT&T and he has a bunch of phones and I always play around with all of them. I personally like the Blackberry Curve. It's a bit wider than the Pearl though. You should check out the LG Shine. It's not a flip phone, but a slider. It's small and sleek. My sister originally had it for a couple days but for Christmas, my roommate and I stole it from her and exchanged it for an iPhone. Now she wants it back.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
inabis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I kinda was leaning toward the blackberry so I just wanted to know if you could turn it off
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
SCTexas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 AW 328

Yes you can disable the feature. Most people do not like it at first but if you type out the word without looking at the screen it works perfectly. You just have to trust it. It also learns words that are not built into the database. I work for AT&T and I get asked this question every day.

Blackberry's are great devices whether you go with a Pearl or a Curve. I personally prefer the full qwerty keyboard but to each their own.

You really can't go wrong with either. The only factor would be how many emails/text messages you send. If you are a heavy user then the full keyboard definetely helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
markesq
Rep
Drives: 97 M3

Iphone!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
blackberry or iphone.

Blackberry has a full button keyboard and people like that feeling, also can be a bit more stable and more business oriented.

iphone for me is fine. I'm good with the keyboard and if you install applications it can do anything you want. Anything.
      01-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Tilt
Appreciate 0