BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-31-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
mikemulkern96
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Is extended warranty a must?

I didnt want to beat a dead horse but all I'm finding is folks talking lower mileage cars. Some of them saying they've already racked up $7k in repairs in one year on things like AC compressors and oil leaks.

I've put a down payment on a 2011 e93 M3 with 58K and a manual transmission. The main thing I liked was the maintinance. One owner, annual oil changes, dealer maintained. It had a couple scratched rims, the rear bumper cover mount was coming through (both 2011s I looked at had this issue), trim fading and leather scratches. I had them repair all this. Brakes 10K miles ago, tires brand new. If I'm not mistaken, in my area, 28,8 is a fair - great price. I also had them detail it and clay bar it...this comes with a 6 year interior warranty. $650...which I'm not too sour about.

Tomorrow I go to pick the car up, and I've got one last decision to make before I do the 3 hour journey home.

Do I get the 2 year 30K mile warranty at $3,200? My credit union had a similar plan for $11,000!!!

Should I hound the dealership about maintinance records? They dont report to carfax.

What has your experience been? 50-60k/+ milers speak up!!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Depends on what kind of warranty.

You really want an Exclusionary warranty like the one CarMax offers.

Other than what the warranty states is NOT covered, everything else IS. Nothing to fight over, no going back and forth.

Best of luck with the car either way.
Appreciate 2
vincE92M3562.50
Iyzmi802.00
      07-31-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Approaching 69k miles on mine with...

Rod bearing replacement, upgraded motor mounts, power steering reservoir, an A/C vent that broke, a faulty fuel tank breather valve, and an idle control valve that's on its way out. There are other things done to the car, but relative to maintenance and repairs is above. The car is honest and reliable with the two big "quirks" being the rod bearings and throttle actuators.

I would say that the warranty isn't necessary at first glance pending what can be shown on maintenance records. I chose to do the rod bearing replacement out of internet fear pressuring me to do so (I made the decision to do it before I even purchased the car). The reservoir was like $40 and slightly leaking. The fuel tank breather is not much more than the reservoir. The mileage you're at will see motor mounts needing to be changed soon, shocks/struts soon to show their age, brakes soon to follow...you get the picture. Lots of "soons." But I feel short of catastrophic failure or a premature alternator or something, you're just looking at maintenance items (which won't be covered under warranty I am expecting).

$3,200 would be rod bearings replaced along with new motor mounts and probably enough money to put one of the throttle body actuators on the shelf in your garage when the time comes.

Do be aware of the recent increased OEM parts' cost with the, what I'm assuming to be, tariffs if you are factoring in maintenance costs. I'm certainly not happy that my ICV is being a little whore immediately after its cost nearly tripled.

Last edited by spazzyfry123; 07-31-2018 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
vincE92M3562.50
PACarGuy670.00
      07-31-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

I say no warranty if you, somebody you know, or a local reputable shop that you trust can perform the repairs. As stated above many warranties deny most repairs and/or have a deductible. If the warranty does cover nearly everything and you cannot perform your own work or have a local shop you trust do it then I would consider getting it.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I have had one repair (breather valve) for $85 between 2 M3's and 50k Miles of driving between them. That's it. Oh sure I have put break pads on, oil changes, added DCT oil but zero repairs have been needed. Any car is hit or miss, no way around it. A little off subject but the one thing I watch out for is the rear tires. You need them aligned every few thousand miles or you will chew up the inside tread.
Appreciate 2
      07-31-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
GotV8?
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jerez E92 M3 ZCP "12"

Garage List
If you had the car inspected by a trustworthy mechanic and a PIP done, and all the maintenance checks out, I really would set the funds aside for Throttle bodies (get them from FCP Euro)...I didnt get the extended warranty on my M3 when my car went over 50,000 miles ...and no regrets, as long as you keep up with the standard maintenance and proper warmup. goodluck with your decision and enjoy your M3!!
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #7
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
That's too much for a 2 year warranty. I paid a little less than that a few months ago for a 3 year plan.

Here's the one I got. Its the Major Guard plan:
https://www.ally.com/auto/vehicle-pr...contracts.html
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:11 AM   #8
jazzy1999
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

Do be aware of the recent increased OEM parts' cost with the, what I'm assuming to be, tariffs if you are factoring in maintenance costs. I'm certainly not happy that my ICV is being a little whore immediately after its cost nearly tripled. [/QUOTE]

Funny you would say that cause, I heard the opposite my local dealership parts salesman. Informed me that OEM parts have be reduced, due to BMW trying to compete with the aftermarket prices.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
mikemulkern96
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy1999 View Post
Do be aware of the recent increased OEM parts' cost with the, what I'm assuming to be, tariffs if you are factoring in maintenance costs. I'm certainly not happy that my ICV is being a little whore immediately after its cost nearly tripled.

Quote:
Funny you would say that cause, I heard the opposite my local dealership parts salesman. Informed me that OEM parts have be reduced, due to BMW trying to compete with the aftermarket prices.

I've read elsewhere that the tariffs may effect the price of parts. Makes sense.
But with the great aftermarket support for this car I may just want to upgrade whatever needs replacing rather than return it OEM. Im fairly capable myself and have the garage to handle small jobs. All I'm missing is a lift. Though these cars may start being collectors items...So maybe keep this magnificent piece of engineering stock, wait it out a while, then
find a beater Vette for future track dreams
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I went the CPO extended warranty route through Bmw on my low mileage '13 and all I can say is thank god I purchased it!! To date I'm approaching $11k in warranty work.

Here's what's been replaced so far:
-o2 sensors (3 times)
-coils
-plugs
-injectors
-entire wiring harness for the s65
-new ECU ($2800 for the unit, no lab incl)
-entire exhaust incl cats (no rear section though)
-TA's
-6 oil changes

*going for rod bearings in 6 days... still have another year left on the warranty
      08-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #11
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Bought my '12 last year with 53K and didn't purchase a warranty at the time.
Bank 2 TA failed on me last October, but was replaced under the extended emissions warranty since it's covered in my state.
Did rod bearings in April as preventative at about 58K as I'd like to keep the car a long time.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a comprehensive 2 year warranty in June through USAA anyway a) after reading up about the crazy cost of replacing an A/C evaporator, b) since I only have 6 months left of coverage for my Bank 1 TA, and c) because of the high cost of parts. Not sure if I'lll get value out of it, but the peace of mind helps.

Last edited by PACarGuy; 08-01-2018 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #12
mikemulkern96
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
I went the CPO extended warranty route through Bmw on my low mileage '13 and all I can say is thank god I purchased it!! To date I'm approaching $11k in warranty work.

-o2 sensors (3 times)
-coils
-plugs
-injectors
-TA's
-6 oil changes

*going for rod bearings in 6 days... still have another year left on the warranty
They did your bearings as a preventative? I've seen folks arrive at the conclusion that it's not even worth asking until the engine busts.

You're the first to say it was worth it out of the folks who have chimed in this far... seems like maybe I should shop around for the cheapest and most comprehensive plan.

I've still got a few hours till I've arrived at the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #13
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy1999 View Post
Quote:

Do tell! It wasn't long ago that I remember seeing the ICV for like $250. Cheapest I can find it now is about $600 now.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #14
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemulkern96 View Post
Quote:

-o2 sensors (3 times)
-coils
-plugs
-injectors
-TA's
-6 oil changes

They did your bearings as a preventative? I've seen folks arrive at the conclusion that it's not even worth asking until the engine busts.

You're the first to say it was worth it out of the folks who have chimed in this far... seems like maybe I should shop around for the cheapest and most comprehensive plan.

Well they're going to preventatively do them next week.. it did take some back and forth negotiating but my SA agreed to put them through under warranty. Honestly I couldn't be happier with bmw and their extended factory warranty on my m3
      08-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #15
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well they're going to preventatively do them next week.. it did take some back and forth negotiating but my SA agreed to put them through under warranty. Honestly I couldn't be happier with bmw and their extended factory warranty on my m3
I think you may have just opened up an entirely new thread. I have NEVER heard of any warranty replacing the rod bearings preemptively.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #16
mikemulkern96
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I think you may have just opened up an entirely new thread. I have NEVER heard of any warranty replacing the rod bearings preemptively.
Who's your warranty provider? While typing this I cant see if you've already told us. [You have ] And what negotiation tactics did you use? Do you have reason to believe they're going? An oil test? Please do tell more!
Frankly I dont even know what to listen/feel for. I didnt get a chance to rev the car on the test drive but everything was lovely, smooth, and we did get onto the Boston highway. It was a dream.

It was my first time hearing an m3 cold start, though it was a mild east coast day. Much quieter once it warmed up.

Last edited by mikemulkern96; 08-01-2018 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #17
330ciprem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3, 06 E46 330ci, 6spds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemulkern96 View Post

Negative.

This is the BMW CPO Warranty that we are talking about - something that you can't get for your car.

Nothing beats the OEM warranty when it comes to coverage and quality of work+parts. Can't compare OEM with After Market Warranty - they are miles apart in pricing and level of coverage.

An extended warranty can be purchased only when the vehicle is still under original warranty and the pricing is reasonable.

I know this is comparing apples and oranges but I paid 4100 for BMW extended warranty for my girlfriend's Z4 - 3 years and 75k miles - Platinum Coverage (covers everything).

I was quoted approximately 5700 for American Auto Shield via Car Chex for 3 years till 70k miles for Platinum but not exclusionary.

If you can get the BMW Warranty - take it, definitely.

If it's aftermarket - I probably wouldn't but if you still want to, do your research well!
Appreciate 1
xcusem3456.50
      08-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #18
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Quote:
It's the BMW CPO warranty I bought when the car was only a year old.. cost me a little over $4k at the time and it's good until August 2019

I've bought a couple cars from them since but for obvious reasons I've kept my beloved individual edition series e92 m3.. I told my SA that there are a lot of instances out there where guys are replacing their RBs to avoid potential catastrophic engine failure and its easier not want to have to tow the car to your dealership with a blown motor after we've had this chat on record... He spoke with his manager and came back at me and said yes they'll do it under warranty. I guess they've replaced a couple s65's in the past year so they didn't want to take the gamble..
      08-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #19
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

No you dont need a warranty. But you might want to dump some money into the car initially to shore up any gaps in maint records then follow some basic maint after. Rod bearings are a must. I agree put some money in a rainy day fund for the car. Keep $2k in there at any one time and you will be good.

Though its a bit of a moving target, the US has not imposed any tariffs impacting prices on EU auto parts. It was a threat and its off the table at this moment. Trump is trying to counter his China soybean crisis by getting the EU to buy more. I think due to our cars being older now BMW or its suppliers are raising prices and supplies are getting smaller. Saw complaints recently about the flywheel in another thread up to $1700 for OEM. $600 for an ICV is also absurd!

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/bus...215552950.html

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 08-01-2018 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #20
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

MY warranty was $4700 I believe and its paid out over $10k in repairs in 1 yr of ownership. Now, Im anal about my cars maintenance and ensuring its running like a top with no issue however, Im glad I have the warranty to cover things as they come up. I'm already a head of the game. Realistically, you dont NEED a warranty. But to me, Id rather cough the money up front, or in my case rolled it into my loan cause of a silly low interest rate, to have piece of mind.
Iyzmi802.00
PACarGuy670.00
      08-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #21
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

I'm not a big proponent of extended warranties in general, but boy am I glad I got one for my car. I paid $2,000 for platinum coverage through my credit union for 4yrs/50k mi. At that price, I felt it was a good value for the peace of mind and boy was I right. It has easily saved me over $10k during my first year of ownership, though to be fair I haven't had to use it since. They've covered things like O2 sensors, throttle actuator, seat side bolster air bladders, seatbelt extender thing, and probably other little stuff I've forgotten. The big thing they saved the day on was when the plastic cap on one of my VANOS solenoids decided it no longer wanted to live, so it got chewed up by the timing chain and spit out into the oil pan. There's actually a thread in the engine section right now with someone who's going through a similar nightmare. After all was said and done, my car was in the shop for 7 weeks and the warranty paid out somewhere in the neighborhood of $8k. I paid my $250 deductible.

All it takes is one expensive failure to cover the cost of the warranty. Blown motors, AC evaporators, throttle actuators, and various little sensors all come to mind - that stuff adds up quick. Assuming you can get a good deal on the coverage, I personally think it's worth it just based on my own experience. If it costs more than ~$1k per year though, I'd probably skip it TBH.

So to sum it up - is it a must? No. Is it nice to have for a used German sports car that is notorious for being driven hard? Yeah, probably.
      08-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #22
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Bought my extended warranty (3 year, 75k miles) for $19xx back in 2014 and it paid for itself. I had replaced both TAs, manual trans seal, and a TPMS with the warranty. In my case it paid itself off.

On the flipside, a close friend also bought this warranty for his M3 and did not have to use it.