BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-15-2019, 01:35 AM   #155
baseking
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 e92 AW/FR DCT

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Sold it on eBay for $250! It literally cost me $35 after fees to upgrade to the newest one. I got hooked up with it from a forum member who said he used it once and he gave me a concealed display. Looks like I owe both of you a beer! Cheers...
Wow that's so weird, I guess nobody on here is gullible enough to buy old V1s, maybe they are just not that available in Europe or something ?

Check out Vortex Radar on youtube to see his comparisons - V1's range is 910 feet while R3 is 2334 feet, for me on the highway this is the difference between getting a ticket/pulled over vs never even getting suspected of speeding. Here's a link to the frame where he compares them and goes over more details. Radar Range Comparison
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #156
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseking View Post
Check out Vortex Radar on youtube to see his comparisons - V1's range is 910 feet while R3 is 2334 feet, for me on the highway this is the difference between getting a ticket/pulled over vs never even getting suspected of speeding. Here's a link to the frame where he compares them and goes over more details. Radar Range Comparison
I've long taken these comparisons with a huge grain of salt because they all seem to get drastically different results. Car and Driver has tested the V1 straight on and gotten 11k feet of detection. Sounds like the Vortex guy has some kind of course set up to do his testing, but it also seems that he's got all the detectors lined up on the dash next to each other, which is not the proper way to test a detector.

When I also factor in how Mike Valentine has pretty much pissed off every single person in the industry, I question how realistic any of these comparison tests are.
      03-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #157
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by storM3trooper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally1552 View Post
I use a free crowd sourced police detector called Waze
It saved me countless times.
Waze + detector is almost perfect solution.
Dang I've always had the Waze app but hardly use it didn't know it gives you police warnings and all that. Gonna give it a shot in my next drive!!
So I tried the waze app it's great it does tell ya when cops are ahead. I did notice that half the time that it warns me the cops aren't there anymore when I hit the spot. But still it's good to know when cops are lurking around. Still want to get a legit scanner tho.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #158
mikemulkern96
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

I'm a bit late but I notice this a lot...
I'm up in Maine, nice cars are fairly rare.
Everyone wants to race but this isn't a drag car.
I'm trying to learn the basics of driving an exotic, I don't need a Kia Stinger trying to pass me on a one lane highway on ramp.
Granted, ol boy lost sight of me as soon as there were no more red lights for him to use.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #159
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
So I tried the waze app it's great it does tell ya when cops are ahead. I did notice that half the time that it warns me the cops aren't there anymore when I hit the spot. But still it's good to know when cops are lurking around. Still want to get a legit scanner tho.
I do 50-60k miles a year and I see that a lot, but I don't mind seeing the expired alerts for cops. On a major rural Interstate like I-80, I'll often see a half dozen alerts, all just a 1/2 mile or so apart--makes it easy to track the LEO's movement.

Of course, in urban areas the feature is nearly useless, but it also seems a lot harder to get stopped.
      03-18-2019, 04:16 PM   #160
alpinam3
Rep
Drives: M3

I go through the same thing. Comes mostly from other non m 3 series or mustangs. I enjoy seeing the other people that I assume are jealous. I get 18 year olds in 330i / 335i that pull up and say they could beat me from a take off, and I simply ignore it and roll up my window. I don't care how fast the car is or isn't, I simply like how it sounds. But that don't mean I dislike the jealousy
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 11:27 PM   #161
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinam3 View Post
I go through the same thing. Comes mostly from other non m 3 series or mustangs. I enjoy seeing the other people that I assume are jealous. I get 18 year olds in 330i / 335i that pull up and say they could beat me from a take off, and I simply ignore it and roll up my window. I don't care how fast the car is or isn't, I simply like how it sounds. But that don't mean I dislike the jealousy
I hear ya brother!

Speaking of mustangs, had a quite different (but refreshing) experience last weekend. Weather was super nice so decided to wash the whip and take it for a spin. While stopped on a red light I noticed a modded mustang behind me. Light turned green I switched to left lane coz I was going to turn left. As mustang rolled past me he gave me a "honk of approval" and a thumbs up sign!!

Didn't expect that specially from an American muscle car coz they always want to race me so that really made my day.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #162
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

I've had the M3 for a couple weeks and only drove it a few times because of the weather. The few times I've driven there have already been 2 Civic's revving and trying to race me haha. I experienced the same in my E92 335 all the time but I thought the E90 M3 was going to be more subtle, guess not!
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2019, 11:07 PM   #163
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter2090 View Post
I've had the M3 for a couple weeks and only drove it a few times because of the weather. The few times I've driven there have already been 2 Civic's revving and trying to race me haha. I experienced the same in my E92 335 all the time but I thought the E90 M3 was going to be more subtle, guess not!
Haha the nerve of the civics over there! Here they don't bother me at all coz they prolly know better. Every now and then some subies try to race me. Couple of days ago a loud Infiniti G something tried to keep up. I get chased by sleeper cars as well.

So why did you switch from e92 335 to e90 M3?
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #164
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Haha the nerve of the civics over there! Here they don't bother me at all coz they prolly know better. Every now and then some subies try to race me. Couple of days ago a loud Infiniti G something tried to keep up. I get chased by sleeper cars as well.

Haha yeah, there's a big G community here too and they have some fast twin turbo cars.

The 335 was a monster in a straight line and I could go even faster if I did aftermarket twins/single. I also never had any major issues with my N54, just regular maintenance. I just ended up getting a bit bored and I was at the point where I didn't care about speed as much and didn't want to put much more money into the car.

I always loved the way the E90 M3's looked, the wider stance and the sound of the S65 coming from a 4 door . Just decided to part out one day and start looking for an M (I did have some sad regrets during the part out and search for the M), but all that went away after driving this car!

The one thing I do miss is the 6MT but this DCT is growing on me everyday
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:15 PM   #165
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter2090 View Post
Quote:

Haha yeah, there's a big G community here too and they have some fast twin turbo cars.

The 335 was a monster in a straight line and I could go even faster if I did aftermarket twins/single. I also never had any major issues with my N54, just regular maintenance. I just ended up getting a bit bored and I was at the point where I didn't care about speed as much and didn't want to put much more money into the car.

I always loved the way the E90 M3's looked, the wider stance and the sound of the S65 coming from a 4 door . Just decided to part out one day and start looking for an M (I did have some sad regrets during the part out and search for the M), but all that went away after driving this car!

The one thing I do miss is the 6MT but this DCT is growing on me everyday
Cool man, I love the e90. When I crashed my 328 I was hell bent to upgrade to f30 335 and just go all out modding until I found my e90 M3. Went for test drive and the sound just blew me away.

What year is your e90 and was was the sad part if you care to share
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #166
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Cool man, I love the e90. When I crashed my 328 I was hell bent to upgrade to f30 335 and just go all out modding until I found my e90 M3. Went for test drive and the sound just blew me away.

What year is your e90 and was was the sad part if you care to share
It's a 09 AW/FR, just did the ACM exhaust and it was the best decision I ever made lol

The sad part was just seeing the car finished them slowly being pulled apart, it sucks putting that much work in then taking it apart.
Appreciate 1