BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

10/26 Buttonwillow 1CW 1-Day HPDE, $275

Registration is open. Will be running Race 1 Clockwise, this configuration includes the Star Mazda turn and bus-stop. A true test of your E9x M3's capabilities on a track with combination of high speed sweepers, tight hair-pins, on and off-camber turns, a couple of long straights, esses, chicanes...etc. You name it, this track has it.

This event, being a condensed 1 day event on a Friday, means it'll be packed full of track time. In an effort to increase track time for all, drivers will be classified into A+, Intermediate, and Novice levels. CCA schools provide in-car instructors for ALL skill levels, with curriculum designed to maximize your learning of high performance on-track driving skills. A+ drivers require prior A or A+ experience with BMW CCA, or instructor recommendation from prior CCA schools. A+ drivers are expected to be driving solo for the whole day except for a POSSIBLE check ride at the beginning of the day, so if you're not comfortable driving solo, sign up for Intermediate.

If you haven't been on track with your M3, or haven't been to Buttonwillow, this is a great opportunity to get some track time without blowing the entire weekend away from family. What better way to get your mind off of work, and kick start a fun weekend right before Halloween at lovely BUTTONWILLOW RACEWAY?!

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ifornia-735470

Entry fee of $275 includes lunch.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
A true test of your E9x M3's capabilities on a track
The true test for our M3s is the 99 degrees that Accuweather is predicting

All kidding aside, Buttonwillow in July is a tough sell.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
The HACK
Rep

BUMP.

Registration has been open and the spots are filling up. Due to the limited availability of instructors (it being a Friday and all) we're capping Intermediate and Novice classes at 20 cars. There are only a few more spots available so sign up sooner rather than later!

Also, A+/Solo requires either prior A+/Solo experience with BMW CCA HPDEs, or prior instructor recommendation. But we have up to 6x 30 minute sessions in the A+/Solo group so if you're looking for a ton of track time, and have done A+/Solo in the past, this is a fantastic bang for the buck!
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Temped but Friday is tough and then 1 day is tough too to get the car ready for a single day, but haven't gone out in a LONG time.

For anyone who hasn't gone on a track, this is the PERFECT way to do it... well it would be more perfect if it was 2 days. CCA events are excellent.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:35 AM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Signed up and hotel booked.
Looking forward the the 6 sessions for the A group.
Thanks Dan.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
The HACK
Rep

Sweet. Looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

is there a check off ride situation? I don't even have a passenger seat lol
      10-07-2018, 02:07 AM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
is there a check off ride situation? I don't even have a passenger seat lol
Yes. It's a BMWCCA club requirement before they let you go out on your own. And the seatbelt/harness have to be the same for the driver and instructor seat. It's usually a short session.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Yes. It's a BMWCCA club requirement before they let you go out on your own. And the seatbelt/harness have to be the same for the driver and instructor seat. It's usually a short session.
guess i can't go. No passenger seat. I'm a 4 door 1 seater lol
      10-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #10
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
guess i can't go. No passenger seat. I'm a 4 door 1 seater lol
I need to clarify with the Chief Instructor, but I believe this is an A+/Solo group where no check ride is required if you have prior A+/Solo experience.

At the last combined San Diego/Central Cal Buttonwillow 2 day school, I certainly recall SOME Club Racing School participants also driving with the A+/Solo group sans a passenger seat.

EDIT: I have clarification. A+/Solo has no check-rides. There's no restriction for this class for passenger seats. Just be aware, you MUST have been cleared to run A+/Solo with BMW CCA before. Either a prior instructor has endorsed you, or you drove prior with BMW CCA with other regions in A/A+/Solo, or you have driven as an A+/Solo within the region before.

Last edited by The HACK; 10-09-2018 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0