BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

05-31-2020, 09:02 PM   #1
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Beadmaker haze

In January, I two step corrected my paint and applied wolfgang deep gloss sealant and layered collinite over it. I was very happy with the result and about a month ago during a routine cleaning I applied beadmaker over the collinite on the hood only to test it as I've been curious about it given the hype it gets.

Didnt anticipate trouble as a few youtube big names have used it over collinite but for some reason mine has a haze that I can't wipe away with quick detailer. Thankfully I only applied it on the hood and think I'll have to wash with purple power to get the haze out unless someone has another idea.

Thought I'd share in case anyone has ideas of why it hazed, maybe it didnt go well with the wolfgang sealant?? I googled and was not able to find examples of others having issue with it hazing.

Edit: Added pics - I tried again to buff this off and it seems to come off a small amount or smear, like it moves the haze around when towell buffing but doesn't go away entirely.
Attached Images

Last edited by M43S7RO; 06-10-2020 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 09:53 PM   #2
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Never heard of that before, I’m curious also.

I use Jescar Powerlock with 845 combo and so far it works great together...have not heard anyone layering Wolfgang with Collinite...also heard that beadmaker actually eats away at Collinite
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

beadmaker is a very weak top 'sealant' or whatever one wants to call it. It's probably the least durable option out there, and based on the amount required for an application, it's probably the most expensive think one can use for a spray sealant.. its durability and protection has been debunked on many technical reviews. Id honestly try the TW ceramic spray wax, it's been phenomenal for both a base sealant as well as maintenance top coat for me, and destroyed beadmaker in multiple detailed head to head reviews.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 08:18 AM   #4
m3_tristan
Be Original.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Did you apply it correctly? I use it on top of my Cquartz uk 3.0 with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
M43S7RO
Major
Rep

The wolfgang and collinite worked great together, maybe because wolfgang is made by Jescar from what I've read... anyway, I should have left it at that and not tried to experiment with the beadmaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Never heard of that before, I’m curious also.

I use Jescar Powerlock with 845 combo and so far it works great together...have not heard anyone layering Wolfgang with Collinite...also heard that beadmaker actually eats away at Collinite
      06-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
M43S7RO
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_tristan View Post
Did you apply it correctly? I use it on top of my Cquartz uk 3.0 with no problems.
I believe so, seems pretty straightforward spray liberally and wipe off, even watched a few online videos to make sure it was really that easy.
      06-01-2020, 02:24 PM   #7
m3_tristan
Be Original.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
Quote:
I believe so, seems pretty straightforward spray liberally and wipe off, even watched a few online videos to make sure it was really that easy.
Nope that application is wrong. Spray it on the panel and wipe it with a mf towel. Using another mf towel buff it off.

That's why it's streaking
Appreciate 2
acarr6406.00
Frozen570.00
      06-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
M43S7RO
Major
Rep

Quote:
Nope that application is wrong. Spray it on the panel and wipe it with a mf towel. Using another mf towel buff it off.

That's why it's streaking
Just watched this video and the guy mentions what you are saying:

Funny the two videos on their website just have the guys flipping the towel over.

Not sure if I can just reapply at this point but I'll have to give it another shot.
      06-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #9
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

I use it all the time, with no issues, on a coated car. I will say it can be slightly finicky, but once you figure out how to use it properly you'll have no issues. I had minor streaking my first or second time using it, but none since.
      06-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #10
black'n'redE92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i

I've used BM several times, and have had the hazing come back. I've found that applying it on cool surfaces work best. Allow it to cure for a few hours before it goes into the sun or gets wait. It's a mild product, so shouldn't be eating into you previous layers.

'08 E92~ Black Saphire Metalic~Coral Red Interior~Brushed Aluminum Trim~ Black Kidney Grilles~ JB4 G5 Board~Powder Coated Black 189's~Blacked Out Roundels~ 20% Tint All The Way Around~BMS DCI~8K Angel Eyes~M Tech Side Skirts~Smoked Side Markers~15MM/12MM BMS Wheel Spacers
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #11
M43S7RO
Major
Rep

Thanks for the info, a cool surface is hard to come by in AZ, even in the garage, which may have contributed to my hazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black'n'redE92 View Post
I've used BM several times, and have had the hazing come back. I've found that applying it on cool surfaces work best. Allow it to cure for a few hours before it goes into the sun or gets wait. It's a mild product, so shouldn't be eating into you previous layers.
      06-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #12
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the info, a cool surface is hard to come by in AZ, even in the garage, which may have contributed to my hazing.
It's most likely the reason why you have hazing. Over the years any time someone has an issue with an LSP it's because of application and/or climate. Climate seems to vary everyone's results based on what I've seen.

Just curious why you would do all that work and go with a sealant/wax combo? Do you as you please, but we've come a long way in LSP products where you don't need a full on ceramic coating to get really good protection. Powerlock and 845 are kings in the detailing world, but personally I want to do touch ups with a ceramic booster or something like beadmaker after every wash instead of having to worry about my base protection weakening week over week.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #13
M43S7RO
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
It's most likely the reason why you have hazing. Over the years any time someone has an issue with an LSP it's because of application and/or climate. Climate seems to vary everyone's results based on what I've seen.

Just curious why you would do all that work and go with a sealant/wax combo? Do you as you please, but we've come a long way in LSP products where you don't need a full on ceramic coating to get really good protection. Powerlock and 845 are kings in the detailing world, but personally I want to do touch ups with a ceramic booster or something like beadmaker after every wash instead of having to worry about my base protection weakening week over week.
I didn't go ceramic for two reasons:

1) I've read some information online that Ceramic may expand at different rates than the paint underneath or something along those lines and may cause issues. This may or not be true but I didn't wanna test.

2) Application - From what I read, some people made messes of their cars by misapplying ceramic. I want to diy and this is my first time doing this myself and therefore like the more forgiving nature of sealant/wax if I screw up or have an issue like I am experiencing now.

I don't drive my car much quite honestly so it doesn't get dirty much and is kept covered in garage when not in use and so the durability of sealant isn't an issue, I'm planning on having to reapply once/twice a year which I'd be good with.

Last edited by M43S7RO; 06-10-2020 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 03:51 PM   #14
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
I didn't go ceramic for two reasons:

1) I've read some information online that Ceramic may expand at different rates than the paint underneath or something along those lines and may cause issues. This may or not be true but I didn't wanna test.

2) Application - From what I read, some people made messes of their cars by misapplying ceramic. I want to diy and this is my first time doing this myself and therefore like the more forgiving nature of sealant/wax if I screw up or have an issue like I am experiencing now.

I don't drive my car much quite honestly so it doesn't get dirty much and is kept covered in garage when not in use and so the durability of sealant isn't an issue, I'm planning on having to reapply once a year which I'd be good with.
I understand all of that and that is why I recommended a ceramic based product, not a full ceramic option. Your first concern I would not overthink lol I've never heard anything about that, but application is very important.

I used a ceramic booster for the first time this year and I was blown away. Never used one before and durability is always my top priority. It's beading/sheeting capabilities are amazing and the gloss is unreal once it settles overnight.The slickness was unbelievable as I was wiping panels down I instantly realized how slick the surface had become. I've never had these experiences with any wax or sealant hence the recommendation after your hard work of paint correcting.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
M43S7RO
Major
Rep

So do you just use a ceramic booster only? Again, I'm a noob to a lot of this but thought that booster was meant to go over a base layer of ceramic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
I understand all of that and that is why I recommended a ceramic based product, not a full ceramic option. Your first concern I would not overthink lol I've never heard anything about that, but application is very important.

I used a ceramic booster for the first time this year and I was blown away. Never used one before and durability is always my top priority. It's beading/sheeting capabilities are amazing and the gloss is unreal once it settles overnight.The slickness was unbelievable as I was wiping panels down I instantly realized how slick the surface had become. I've never had these experiences with any wax or sealant hence the recommendation after your hard work of paint correcting.
      06-10-2020, 04:26 PM   #16
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Red e92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
beadmaker is a very weak top 'sealant' or whatever one wants to call it. It's probably the least durable option out there, and based on the amount required for an application, it's probably the most expensive think one can use for a spray sealant.. its durability and protection has been debunked on many technical reviews. Id honestly try the TW ceramic spray wax, it's been phenomenal for both a base sealant as well as maintenance top coat for me, and destroyed beadmaker in multiple detailed head to head reviews.
Have you personally ever tried beadmaker?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #17
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
Quote:

watch this video. this is probably the best, most knowledgeable detailer expert on YT.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 05:27 PM   #18
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
So do you just use a ceramic booster only? Again, I'm a noob to a lot of this but thought that booster was meant to go over a base layer of ceramic?
No problem I'm more than happy to help and give you my advice/opinion. I've been a weekend warrior for over a decade and I love learning and experimenting. I have no affiliations/loyalty to any brand and just recommend what I know will work with consistency and positive results.

Ceramic boosters are in conjunction to your already existing ceramic coating. Normally recommended to use a booster on your coating every 1-3 months based on your situation to revitalize your coating. Most people like to stick with "like" brands (i.e. Gyeon coating with Gyeon booster). Boosters can also be used as standalone. IMO these are right below ceramic coatings in terms of overall protection/performance. This is assuming you choose an appropriate brand that isn't only marketing to you *cough*cough*chemical guys*cough

I personally tested a ceramic booster on my car with nothing underneath and have had the results I mentioned above. I haven't tested everything under the sun, but have had the best waxes, sealants, spray waxes, and spray sealants to play with over the years. I'm sticking to this ceramic booster for now and will go the full ceramic route on my next car. Again my two cents. I'm more than happy to give feedback on products or answer any questions you have in this realm.
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #19
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

watch this video. this is probably the best, most knowledgeable detailer expert on YT.
It's on the Internet.. it HAS to be correct, right?

For every video against a product there's probably one for it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

There's also Pan the Organizer, Matt Moreman from Obsessed Garage, and many more that have overwhelmingly positive experience with Bead Maker.

I personally use Bead Maker because, in my personal experience, it's incredibly quick, effective, and inexpensive. It works just as well as my old go-to machine sealant (Blackfire Wet Diamond) and takes a tenth of the time to apply. I wash my M3 probably 2-3 times a month, sometimes as much as weekly during the warm months. So, in my use case there's absolutely nothing wrong with the product.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 08:06 PM   #20
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWEraser View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's on the Internet.. it HAS to be correct, right?

For every video against a product there's probably one for it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

There's also Pan the Organizer, Matt Moreman from Obsessed Garage, and many more that have overwhelmingly positive experience with Bead Maker.

I personally use Bead Maker because, in my personal experience, it's incredibly quick, effective, and inexpensive. It works just as well as my old go-to machine sealant (Blackfire Wet Diamond) and takes a tenth of the time to apply. I wash my M3 probably 2-3 times a month, sometimes as much as weekly during the warm months. So, in my use case there's absolutely nothing wrong with the product.
so you didn't even watch it? Pan the organizer is a total Joke. The video I posted is on the internet, but it's also the best most technical reviewer of sealants and coatings I've ever seen, and he's not paid for his review by companies. Just watch it. I don't get oddly attached or defensive about products just because I like it... If it's a shit product, it's a shit product... beadmaker is a total shit product. case closed. if you want to waste money, that's on you
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 03:14 AM   #21
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

Jesus dude, swords down, ok? I didn't realize that Bead Maker was your trigger.

I was simply offering another perspective which is what I thought forums like this was all about.

And I did watch the video.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #22
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Pan the organizer is a total Joke.
Of topic, but out of curiosity, why do you not like Pan? He's super quirky, sure. Just wondering!
Appreciate 0