BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

03-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep
Drives: See my Sig

Fox Red/Black/Black 2-tone Leather Interior Option

Initially I was 100% sure I'd go with a full black leather interior option (easier to maintain given that I have 2 young kids compared to lighter colors), but after getting a small glimpse of the Fox Red/Black/Black 2-tone leather interior option in the "Build Your Own BMW" section of the BMWUSA website, now I'm not so sure (see attachments below).

Is this a new option for 2011 cars or has this option been around for a long time?

Do any of you here have this 2 tone interior in your M3?

I wonder how good this will look with Melbourne Red as the exterior color?

Another interior option I'm considering is going BMW Individual and order black leather with red stitching (attachment below of Ringmeister's sick interior).

Thoughts?

Navin
Attached Images

BMW Individual Atlantis Metallic Twin Screw S/C'ed 5spd 2000 323i
SPONSORED BY: BBS | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts | Race Apeel

Last edited by Navin323i; 03-09-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
hbcpa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 MR E90 M3

The two tone looks good in person. I saw it on a SG E90 and JB E92. Not to sure how good it would look with MR. However someone on the board does have the combo.
      03-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

I would have gone with the red and black interior had there not been a car already on its way over to the states with every option I wanted, just black leather instead. However, I would not consider the red interior had I done the red exterior... they are different reds and I think it looks strange.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
I would have gone with the red and black interior had there not been a car already on its way over to the states with every option I wanted, just black leather instead. However, I would not consider the red interior had I done the red exterior... they are different reds and I think it looks strange.
Are you saying that you wouldn't consider a full red interior or the black/red two tone interior had you done red exterior?

Is the 2 tone black/red interior leather option new for 2011?

SPONSORED BY: BBS | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts | Race Apeel
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

The MR exterior will not look good with a FR interior. They are two VERY different reds. MR isn't extremely bright, but FR is def much darker than MR.

At first I thought the two tone looked cheesy since the red doesn't go far enough up the seats. However, after seeing it in person I changes my mind.

If you are willing to shell out the extra cash though, I would go with Individual. Black with red stitching would look amazing!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
The MR exterior will not look good with a FR interior. They are two VERY different reds. MR isn't extremely bright, but FR is def much darker than MR.

At first I thought the two tone looked cheesy since the red doesn't go far enough up the seats. However, after seeing it in person I changes my mind.

If you are willing to shell out the extra cash though, I would go with Individual. Black with red stitching would look amazing!!
Do you think Black with red stitching will work with Melbourne Red or will I have the same issue with the shades of red being different between Melbourne red and the red stitching?

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
If its going to be individualized, can't they match the stitching to the exterior color quite closely? You really need to see the options in person to make a confident decision, especially with the FR (obviously much easier said than done).
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

currrently have a MR with black interior E90 that I'll be turning in next week. I just ordered a AW with FR/blk/blk E93. I've seen the interior before and loved it.
I'm not sure about getting it with MR exterior though. 2 different red tones dont look good IMO
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
ahmed_fawzy
President
Egypt
Rep
Drives: MR/FR e92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 M3 CP  [0.00]
Trust me man am sure it will look great, way better then black. The interior IMO is for the owner you will be much happier when you open the door and the seats are two tone. As a MR/FR owner I'll tell u this, it's a risk worth taking the two colors go really well together and black/foxred is just amazing and I wish it was available when I ordered mine. Good luck.

E92 M3 Melbourne Red/Fox Red Ext.'08 M Driver's Pack-E87 130i Titanium Silver/Black '07
E63 M6 Indianapolis Red/Champagne Full '05
SOLD:E46 M3 Imola Red/Cloth/Black '01-E39 M5 Blue Water/Grey/Black '99-E36 M3 Dakar Yellow/Black '96-E36 M3 Hell Red/Black '93
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
m3heaven
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

I have the two-tone interior and EVERYONE compliments on it. It's the perfect amount of red and black inside IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

The two tone color option looks good however its hard to justify (for me) to pay $1,250 for what really is very few sheets of leather. I for one would not get that combo with MR considering that the Fox Red is more orangey than red...

I do like the black leather with the Red stiching though-that would complement the MR exterior very well.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed_fawzy View Post
Trust me man am sure it will look great, way better then black. The interior IMO is for the owner you will be much happier when you open the door and the seats are two tone. As a MR/FR owner I'll tell u this, it's a risk worth taking the two colors go really well together and black/foxred is just amazing and I wish it was available when I ordered mine. Good luck.
Thanks! I was trying to figure out when this black/fox red interior option became available... is this new for 2011?

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
The two tone color option looks good however its hard to justify (for me) to pay $1,250 for what really is very few sheets of leather. I for one would not get that combo with MR considering that the Fox Red is more orangey than red...

I do like the black leather with the Red stiching though-that would complement the MR exterior very well.
Thanks bro! You mentioned Fox Red is more orangey... isn't Melbourne red more orangey in certain specific lighting conditions? If so then maybe this black/foxred 2 tone option might work?

If I was to shell out the extra money for either the 2 tone interior or the black with red stitching then I'd consider maybe eliminating one of the options I'm considering such as the OEM alarm system and just go with an aftermarket alarm setup later. Some of the newer aftermarket alarm systems incorporate the use of phone apps so you'll know if someone is trying to break into your car.

Last edited by Navin323i; 03-09-2011 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

It is new for 2011, yes. And no, FR on MR do not go IMHO. But to each their own. Big difference in cost between the two-tone seats and the individual Contrast Stitched interior. The latter ringing in around $6300 MSRP, FYI.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
It is new for 2011, yes. And no, FR on MR do not go IMHO. But to each their own. Big difference in cost between the two-tone seats and the individual Contrast Stitched interior. The latter ringing in around $6300 MSRP, FYI.
$6300??? I thought it was in the $3000 range... in that case then I could just take my seats to an upholsterer and have them reupholster the seats using red stitching... would cost a lot less money for sure.

Do you know if you get the door sill plate that says "BMW Individual" if you order only a BMW Individual interior or do you only get the door sill plate if you order BMW Individual exterior colors?

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
chris s
Major General
Rep

Again...that was what i was recently quoted as MSRP from a reputable dealer here on the forum. Not sure how much it was discounted from there though...but $3k seems pretty low.

Not sure about the individual sill plates, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Honestly Navin-most manufacturers like BMW simply tack on items that really doesn't do much for the performance of the car.

Considering you have kids-would suggest opting for a leather color that is less maintenance considering all the traffic in and out of the car. The Novillo leather is not as good as the Nappa Leather (E46 M3) which is a lot more durable and ages quite well...

If it were me-I'd opt for the black leather and then have it stitched by an upholsterer at a fraction of the cost. After all-we're only talking of a few yards of thread....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin323i View Post
Are you saying that you wouldn't consider a full red interior or the black/red two tone interior had you done red exterior?

Is the 2 tone black/red interior leather option new for 2011?
I would put no BMW red at all on the inside if I had a red car... all black leather. The red's are different colors so it would look strange in my opinion. If you were to do red stitching on the black leather, that would look great, but just make sure the stitching matches the red of the outside.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #19
chris s
Major General
Rep

i really doubt a shade of red stitching will look any different to an exterior shade of red.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #20
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i really doubt a shade of red stitching will look any different to an exterior shade of red.
?

Yes they will, unless they are the same red....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #21
skier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Yep - have it, love it. I also got the car in Mineral White.
      03-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #22
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again...that was what i was recently quoted as MSRP from a reputable dealer here on the forum. Not sure how much it was discounted from there though...but $3k seems pretty low.

Not sure about the individual sill plates, etc.
Thanks for the clarification!

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Honestly Navin-most manufacturers like BMW simply tack on items that really doesn't do much for the performance of the car.

Considering you have kids-would suggest opting for a leather color that is less maintenance considering all the traffic in and out of the car. The Novillo leather is not as good as the Nappa Leather (E46 M3) which is a lot more durable and ages quite well...

If it were me-I'd opt for the black leather and then have it stitched by an upholsterer at a fraction of the cost. After all-we're only talking of a few yards of thread....
Yeah, I'm into leather jacket collecting as a hobby and know a local guy who repairs leather jackets, furnature, etc. who could reupholster my seats if I wanted to go that route... either by doing red stitching or sewing on red leather panels... perhaps I could get him to color match the Melbourne Red color as much as possible.

Ugh... trying to resist mod bug... lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
I would put no BMW red at all on the inside if I had a red car... all black leather. The red's are different colors so it would look strange in my opinion. If you were to do red stitching on the black leather, that would look great, but just make sure the stitching matches the red of the outside.
Good points... thanks!

Appreciate 0