BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Novillo leather is semi-aniline or pigmented?

I wonder if our leather is fully treated or semi-aniline (considering is softer than most leather out there)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

OEM Novillo (as Nappa) in our seats should be semi-aniline or it will wear down in about two weeks of sliding in and out from them.

If anything, I think that Novillo is much lower in quality than Nappa at least.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

'Fully treated' is not a type of leather finish. Cheapest method is coated, then semi-aniline, then aniline. Most automotive seats are coated, and the M3 is no exception. When it wears you can see the different color, meaning it was coated. Semi-aniline is a lot more expensive, and not recommended for cars, as it absorbs liquids (and stains) instantly.

Finally, leather finish and leather quailty are 2 different things, and also don't forget thickness. I'm no expert, but just like any other product, there's a lot more than most people know. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
'Fully treated' is not a type of leather finish. Cheapest method is coated, then semi-aniline, then aniline. Most automotive seats are coated, and the M3 is no exception. When it wears you can see the different color, meaning it was coated. Semi-aniline is a lot more expensive, and not recommended for cars, as it absorbs liquids (and stains) instantly.

Finally, leather finish and leather quailty are 2 different things, and also don't forget thickness. I'm no expert, but just like any other product, there's a lot more than most people know. Good day.
That is the definition of aniline... semi-aniline have a finishing coat on the surface to avoid stains and moisture absorption. My assumption of Novillo and Nappa leather being semi-aniline is that when they wear down they keep their base color but become "shiny". Novillo wears down (becomes "shiny") more rapidly than Nappa in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Fox Red Nappa at least is coated which means sprayed on instead of vat dyed. Sprayed is typical in automotive leather. It's why the color changes when the leather wears or cracks, more noticeable on colored, not black, applications. When my Fox Red got scuffed what did I have? Pretty much dark brown/black. Fortunately sprayed dye applications makes the color easier to repair if you have a good color match.

I love Fox Red but knowing what I know now I would only get deep browns and black.