BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

10-02-2021, 11:12 PM   #1
dangitwess
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Dying colored stripe on steering wheel

Hey guys! Curious if anyone has dyed the colored stripe on their aftermarket steering wheel. I got mine for a deal I couldn't pass up, but would rather have just clean black and not the red. Curious if anyone has thoughts or pointers.

Cheers!
      10-03-2021, 05:34 AM   #2
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

I have the flat bottom BMW wheel and got it used. The blue stripe was faded and worn a tad, and with my OCD it just wasn't going to suffice. I got some acrylic leather dye and fine detail paint brushes. A couple of coats and it looks great. It's really not that hard to do, especially for a small project.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2021, 05:49 AM   #3
dangitwess
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
I have the flat bottom BMW wheel and got it used. The blue stripe was faded and worn a tad, and with my OCD it just wasn't going to suffice. I got some acrylic leather dye and fine detail paint brushes. A couple of coats and it looks great. It's really not that hard to do, especially for a small project.
Oh, awesome! That sounds exactly like the wheel I have. Do you think I could go from red to black, or is it more of a just freshen up the same color type of thing?
      10-03-2021, 10:02 PM   #4
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GHO5T View Post
Quote:
Oh, awesome! That sounds exactly like the wheel I have. Do you think I could go from red to black, or is it more of a just freshen up the same color type of thing?
I would think going to a darker color would be easier that vice versa. Just use enough to do the job and don't cake it on.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2021, 10:42 PM   #5
dangitwess
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I would think going to a darker color would be easier that vice versa. Just use enough to do the job and don't cake it on.
Yeah like in theory, I was thinking going to black would work. Glad to hear your perspective on it. Do you happen to remember what brand you used?
      10-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #6
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah like in theory, I was thinking going to black would work. Glad to hear your perspective on it. Do you happen to remember what brand you used?
I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll have to check later to see. There's a post in the forums about a member using this type of paint to redye their blue stripe. I used the same company and paint. I'd do a search and see if it comes up.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #7
dangitwess
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll have to check later to see. There's a post in the forums about a member using this type of paint to redye their blue stripe. I used the same company and paint. I'd do a search and see if it comes up.
Really appreciate all your help and input with this!