BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #13333
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Updated the interior and broke the steering wheel (temporarily) in the process

What a week. Updated the central console with some forged carbon wrap to see how it looks before tackling the rest of the trim. Added side benefit I don't see the dust on the central console that was driving me nuts.

Decided to finally install the red M and alcantara insert into the steering wheel and that ended up being a lot less straightforward. Disconnected the battery and removing the airbag was surprisingly easy. Getting the massive bolt out was not however and took me a while berfore I gave up and went into a shop and asked them to use an impact wrench to loosen it up.

Once they did that, I pulled the steering wheel out and saw a roll of greasy tape fall out. I had never seen this before and it ended up being the clock spring. 2 hours of frustrated effort in trying to get back in before I was finally able to roll it back in and reinstall the wheel.

Finally, found that my right rear Michelins had somehow lost a central strip and were down to the metal fibers. Apparently PS 4S are out of stock where i am so it was only possible to install Super Sports. After TPMS reset, got a bunch of errors that seem to point to a wheel speed sensor error which I need to get fixed today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jvictormp881.00
      07-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #13334
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Four years later, I finally got a new set of these B16 Damptronic coilovers in hand! Ordered it last week when these bad boys had resurfaced out of the depths of Narnia.

Last edited by 6ixSpd; 07-16-2020 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 3
Not Sure212.50
kcdedric742.50
SAMM3Y3085.00
      07-16-2020, 02:37 PM   #13335
djschmitt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 DCT, Impreza MT

No modifications but I did get Comfort Access programmed on my keys finally. When I purchased the car from the third party they only gave me one key and CA didn't work (I didn't do enough research to see if it was an option on the car either).

Now, I have a brand new key and the dealership was kind enough to program both the new and existing key for CA, for which I am very grateful.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #13336
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by djschmitt View Post
No modifications but I did get Comfort Access programmed on my keys finally. When I purchased the car from the third party they only gave me one key and CA didn't work (I didn't do enough research to see if it was an option on the car either).

Now, I have a brand new key and the dealership was kind enough to program both the new and existing key for CA, for which I am very grateful.
Excuse me for invasive question, but what's the cost of a key?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #13337
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerr View Post
What a week. Updated the central console with some forged carbon wrap to see how it looks before tackling the rest of the trim. Added side benefit I don't see the dust on the central console that was driving me nuts.

Decided to finally install the red M and alcantara insert into the steering wheel and that ended up being a lot less straightforward. Disconnected the battery and removing the airbag was surprisingly easy. Getting the massive bolt out was not however and took me a while berfore I gave up and went into a shop and asked them to use an impact wrench to loosen it up.

Once they did that, I pulled the steering wheel out and saw a roll of greasy tape fall out. I had never seen this before and it ended up being the clock spring. 2 hours of frustrated effort in trying to get back in before I was finally able to roll it back in and reinstall the wheel.

Finally, found that my right rear Michelins had somehow lost a central strip and were down to the metal fibers. Apparently PS 4S are out of stock where i am so it was only possible to install Super Sports. After TPMS reset, got a bunch of errors that seem to point to a wheel speed sensor error which I need to get fixed today.
I love the forged carbon.

I did a few interior bits with, I guess "real" forged carbon. Well it's real carbon fiber, just chopped up into small chunks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
DRLane3988.50
lancerr343.50
Silos555.50
Eja144303.00
      07-16-2020, 09:00 PM   #13338
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Four years later, I finally got a new set of these B16 Damptronic coilovers in hand! Ordered it last week when these bad boys had resurfaced out of the depths of Narnia.

Ahhh, rarer than rocking horse poo'... amazing
      07-16-2020, 10:39 PM   #13339
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Ahhh, rarer than rocking horse poo'... amazing
Pretty much! Stoked to get these on next week.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 11:13 PM   #13340
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

This is why you only use a "drop" of loctite.. head stripped on this seat rail bolt and I had to grind it out 🤦*♂️.. nothing like sparks flying in your interior to remind you that nothings permanent. Having the recaro's redone in black leather... keeping it class
Attached Images

GRUESOM31092.00
Eja144303.00
      07-16-2020, 11:49 PM   #13341
djschmitt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 DCT, Impreza MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvictormp View Post
Excuse me for invasive question, but what's the cost of a key?
Dealership was $445 with programming Comfort Access.
Appreciate 1
jvictormp881.00
      07-17-2020, 12:25 AM   #13342
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
This is why you only use a "drop" of loctite.. head stripped on this seat rail bolt and I had to grind it out 🤦*♂️.. nothing like sparks flying in your interior to remind you that nothings permanent. Having the recaro's redone in black leather... keeping it class
Its only blue loctite. Use a heat gun next time and the they will come out without issue. You would of also been better off trying to drill them out.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:38 AM   #13343
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Quote:
Its only blue loctite. Use a heat gun next time and the they will come out without issue. You would of also been better off trying to drill them out.
It was under the rear of a the seat at an angle, I could barely get an Allen key on it... it slipped once and it was over, heated it up with a blow torch too .. lucky to get a grinder on it, the rail got a polish too ..
      07-17-2020, 01:07 AM   #13344
maxbeilke
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 2013 M3 2015 M3

put in gas
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:58 AM   #13345
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Two weeks ago I bought new tires for the car. Pilot Sports.

This week I got the new BayOptiks headlights installed.
Attached Images

07-17-2020, 10:05 AM   #13346
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Today marks 5 years since I picked up my M3

How it looks today

Back when I bought it

07-17-2020, 09:26 PM   #13347
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
This is why you only use a "drop" of loctite.. head stripped on this seat rail bolt and I had to grind it out...
That scares the shit out of me, because when I changed my rod bearings at home, I didn't know that you should only apply the loctite on 4 or 5 threads, and I applied in all the threads of the oil piping bolts.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 10:35 PM   #13348
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Quote:

I did a few interior bits with, I guess "real" forged carbon. Well it's real carbon fiber, just chopped up into small chunks.
Quote:
Quote:

Nice. It looks like you laid the torn up pieces on top of a poplar wood trim and then clear coated. Is that accurate or did you end up doing it differently. The forged carbon on the grills also added to the overall aesthetic. trying to keep the forged carbon for a few select places. right now I have it on front grill, side vents, gear knob and central console.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
akkando5863.00
      07-17-2020, 11:33 PM   #13349
BambuBoii
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Went for an evening drive and made a quick stop. Got an IND cosmetic package in the mail also, I absolutely cannot stand the orange side markers...
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
jvictormp881.00
XKxRome0ox1587.50
Aries326195.00
      07-18-2020, 02:45 AM   #13350
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambuBoii View Post
Went for an evening drive and made a quick stop. Got an IND cosmetic package in the mail also, I absolutely cannot stand the orange side markers...
Lovely picture!! What a cozy contrast between yellow lights in the left, like a night, and the green on the daylight on the right.

Great headlights appearance as well as the 359's in cabrio M3.
Appreciate 1
Space Fox1042.00
      07-18-2020, 07:19 AM   #13351
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Nice. It looks like you laid the torn up pieces on top of a poplar wood trim and then clear coated. Is that accurate or did you end up doing it differently. The forged carbon on the grills also added to the overall aesthetic. trying to keep the forged carbon for a few select places. right now I have it on front grill, side vents, gear knob and central console.
My center console was factory leather. My bulldog jumped on it and put a hole in the leather so I peeled it off and laminated it with the "chopped" carbon strands and used epoxy resin and then an automotive clear coat for UV protection. The radio bezel was that standard soft touch crappy paint that was looking horrible so I stripped it all off and originally wrapped it in flat black vinyl. It looked fine but I wanted it to stand out so I did the chopped carbon as well. I plan to do the carbon leather trim prices and a few bits on the rear console and then I'll move I. To the hood vents, fender turn signals, grills and maybe more if I'm not sick of it by the. Lol
Appreciate 1
lancerr343.50
      07-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #13352
AC/DC
NooB
Rep
Drives: M

My M was literally a grocery getter today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
6ixSpd6014.50
Space Fox1042.00
jvictormp881.00
      07-18-2020, 09:11 PM   #13353
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

Quote:
Nothing like recaro cs and tucking those covers back on will be a challenge for your fingers lol
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:37 AM   #13354
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Drove it for a weekend drive.
Appreciate 0