BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

Mporium BMW

05-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
Bimmer98115
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

E92 m3 exhaust mod or Corsa exhaust ?

Hey there, I've owned my 08 m3 6spd manual for about 4years now. Bone stock, decided I wanted to finally do some tasteful mods to enjoy the drive a bit more. After 'some' research online it looked like the borla S-type axle back was a good balance of price and performance/sound I was looking for. They claim on their site and lengthy videos that there's no drone. (But i found that this is true only at 2500 rpm and above at highway speed).
I am super disappointed that it's tons of drone and just loud bass all the way from idle to about 2500 rpms. Making 'normal' driving around town just obnoxious (to me). Further, under hard acceleration above 2000 rpms it just sounds basically the same as stock. So basically got all drone when I don't want more sound and minimal additional sound at higher revs.

Very specifically what I'm looking for is:
-no loud obnoxious bass or drone. Especially pulling in out of my driveway and lower speeds.
-exotic fun to drive sound when you do step on it. (But once again not overly loud or obnoxious).

Further research online now tells me that maybe Corsa is a good system for me. ( No loud bass and great sound at higher revs). But I'm hesitant to just go off of videos again and make another $2k purchase.
Does anyone in the greater Seattle area have an e92 6speed with the Corsa axle back ?
That would be willing to meet and see how sounds. ?

Also, I'm seeing lots of conversations about the exhaust mod that can be done to the factory mufflers. Seems like maybe also a good fit? Once again would love to hear in person before cutting up my stock exhaust.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Also I have a brand new (with receipt and warranty) used only 100 miles as of 5.30.20, borla S-type axle back exhaust for sale.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I've had both, the OEM mod (2 pipe mod) and currently a Corsa. OEM mod was definitely good compared to stock, but I wanted to get something lighter and more refined after I added test pipes. The Corsa is by far my favorite exhaust for this car. I have test pipes with secondaries still in place and it's perfection. It just sounds so crisp, clean, and with zero drone and rasp. The OEM mod with Test pipes was hilarious and fun, but not something I'd want everyday. OEM mod with stock xpipe definitely has a lot of Bass at startup, and does drone some in low RPM even with stock cats. It's is a good setup but I wanted to try stage 2 and now I'll never go back, as the primary cats really suck a lot of power and fun out of this car. I don't think you will go wrong with Corsa, it's phenomenal and checks your boxes on no drone/bass. Here's my Corsa cold start, which is very quiet getting out of the driveway, even with test pipes.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
Skhan109
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

I feel your pain. Do not base anything you hear in videos. You need to listen to the exhaust in person. 4 pipe mod does not produce a similar base as the Borla if you're worried about that. It's loud and has a nice growl. There is no drone at all in this setup. I'm very sensitive to drone and if their is any maybe, just maybe, under 2k ( that's even subjective) and hardly noticeable.

Corsa is only good if you remove the test pipes or install a custom X Pipe. With just the Corsa itself your better off getting the 2 pipe mod and enjoying a similar sound (save money).

Or your best option (IMO) is to get a valve electronic exhaust as you can have that crazy growl and go silent if you must with family and friends. It's worth paying 3k for a nice sounding valvetronic. Do it once but do it right (lesson learned for me)

I personally had the 4 pipe mod with secondary out and the sound was great. It only cost 300 for the exhaust mod and it sounded amazing. I had the opportunity to switch to a valvetronic as i found it to be comforting with family!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:46 PM   #4
andybui82
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Ill sell you my Eisenmann race. IMO I think that’s the best sounding exhaust. Refined loudness.
      05-30-2020, 10:59 PM   #5
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Corsa with test pipes is very nice.
      05-31-2020, 11:09 AM   #6
leeyawn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04' CRV - 380k Miles and going

Corsa with test pipes hands down. You can find a used set on here floating around here and there if you're going to end up cutting the tips and getting new ones welded on. I have one installed right now without test pipes but sadly I am away from my house. Shoot me a PM with your phone number and i can text you a cold start video hopefully you have an iphone. IMO go corsa first. If you want more you can install the test pipes. Installing test pipes on a 2 - pipe mod doesnt sound great imo.

I know you said you didnt wanna go off of videos but here is a very great and accurate representation of Crosa with test pipes throughout different rev ranges. He also uses a mic so its a little bit better on picking up the sound.

Here is also a review by a guy thats been around for a while that has had pretty much all the exhaust systems out there for the E9X. The write ups are very descriptive.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676403
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 11:23 AM   #7
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Here's a crappy in-cabin sound video shot with a gopro, of Corsa, test pipes, and MS2 intake lol.

Rear seats, rear carpet, and trunk floor cover removed.
      06-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #8
IWantAnE92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

I have an 08 E90 6MT with the corsa and a modified mastermind x-pipe with quad-resonators. I absolutely love it and it has zero drone.

The car had a full Active Autowerke Signature exhaust when I bought her which droned like crazy, especially in the few blocks of residential streets before getting to an arterial when I would be above the 1900-2300rpm drone zone. I'm sure my neighbours hated it when I was heading to the airport every Monday morning to catch a 6.30am flight!

I'm in Ballard 98107 and might be able to do social-distancing meetup.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 12:29 AM   #9
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I’ve got a full Becker exhaust system (catless, resonated x-pipe with quad muffler axle back) and it is too loud for me. Drones at 2k rpm. It sounds absolutely insane when revving it out, and is fine at cruising speeds. But I also need something that doesn’t drone at low rpm
Appreciate 0