BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-09-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
AutoSolutions SSK

Just wondering if any others using the AS-SSK have increased noise through the shifter into the cabin. I do, and it seems a little more than expected. Not sure if the shop that installed it might have missed something that would help the noise. Or, perhaps this additional NVH is just expected.

I have an 18% reduction shifter with 80A bushings.

Thanks,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
DiegoM3sa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Most likely the 80A bushings
1995 ///M3 Alpine White on Dove 5MT - Sold

Appreciate 1
      02-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoM3sa View Post
Most likely the 80A bushings
Makes sense - not so bad when I have the window down. Window up it is a bit annoying at high RPM. Lesson learned I guess.

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
Iwantbmwm3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

I was just searching for information on the AS SSK 80A bushings. I ordered a 15% reduction, 6mm height increase SSK from Ronald, and mentioned to him i did not want any NVH from the bushings, and he told me he has a new polyurethane 50A bushing that should minimize the NVH.

Anybody have any experience with the 50A bushing? I am still a little on the fence and thinking about going OEM/rubber to eliminate any NVH, but like the idea of the polyurethane bushing.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Which bushings are you guys talking about? Shifter or trans?
I have delrin carrier bushings (the small round ones that go at the sides of the carrier) and turner poly rear carrier bushing (the blue one lol, I think it's 70A). Otherwise stock and I get minimal transmission whine, but you can barely hear it.
I will be installing the AS SSK this weekend and I am wondering how much worse will it get in terms of NVH. I read somewhere about machining some part of the carrier in the front to help with the noise?
      02-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
Iwantbmwm3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokemycocktus View Post
I have delrin carrier bushings (the small round ones that go at the sides of the carrier) and turner poly rear carrier bushing (the blue one lo, I think it's 70A). Otherwise stock and I get minimal transmission whine, but you can barely hear it.
I will be installing the AS SSK this weekend and I am wondering how much worse will it get in terms of NVH. I read somewhere about machining some part of the carrier in the front to help with the noise?

I am talking about the shifter carrier bushing. I ordered the AS SSK with 50A polyurethane carrier bushings that Ronald just developed. I'm trying to figure out how much the 50A will quiet things down/if it will have any NVH, or if i should just get OEM rubber carrier bushings to be safe. Not sure if anybody has any experience with 50A carrier bushings.

Let me know how the NVH is after installing that kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

I'll do for sure.
By the way, can anyone help me figure out the reduction % of my shifter? I bought it used and I have no info. There are some numbers engraved on it but I can't figure them out.
Maybe there's a way to measure it? Thanks
      02-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
Iwantbmwm3
Private
Rep

Easiest way may be to ask the previous owner, or if you have his name call Autosolutions and ask Ron
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #9
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantbmwm3 View Post
Easiest way may be to ask the previous owner, or if you have his name call Autosolutions and ask Ron
Bought it off eBay from a used parts seller, so unfortunately no info about the original owner.
      02-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #10
betacris
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

I have a newer unit. I believe it has the upgraded bushing, 2 piece blue with copper sleeve.
I get added NVH in 1st and 2nd, more in 2nd. Once above 30-35 the sound/vibration goes away.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:40 AM   #11
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantbmwm3 View Post
Quote:
I have delrin carrier bushings (the small round ones that go at the sides of the carrier) and turner poly rear carrier bushing (the blue one lo, I think it's 70A). Otherwise stock and I get minimal transmission whine, but you can barely hear it.

I am talking about the shifter carrier bushing. I ordered the AS SSK with 50A polyurethane carrier bushings that Ronald just developed. I'm trying to figure out how much the 50A will quiet things down/if it will have any NVH, or if i should just get OEM rubber carrier bushings to be safe. Not sure if anybody has any experience with 50A carrier bushings.

Let me know how the NVH is after installing that kit.
I've installed the shifter yesterday. Man, is that a pain in the ass haha. Removing the original one went pretty easy, I didn't even have to lower the transmission but I have an ESS xpipe so it may be different with the x moved forward. I also didn't remove the carrier since I had all the bushings already replaced (delrin front and poly 70A rear).

Installation of the new one was a pain on every step, starting with locking the coupler with that small pin and finishing with squeezing the 6 bolts that hold the basket (there's like 1.5 cm clearence ).

Driving impressions - this thing is out of this world. So precise, so solid and crisp I can't even describe it. Very satisfied. Throw reduction in my case doesn't seem too agressive but it is noticable with almost no extra effort - I don't care how much % is it, but it feels perfect to me.

NVH - I was trying really hard to hear it, but I couldn't. There is minimal whine audible at lower speeds, which was present with the bushings alone. Now it's maybe a bit louder, but gets almost immediately droned out by exhaust and road noise. For reference I have a HFC xpipe and Billy Boat rear section - probably something comparable to test pipes and a mild/sport exhaust in terms of volume.
The shifter has a bit more vibration in some rpm range, but it isn't bad at all.
Maybe the fact that the bushings have been installed about 1.5 years and over 10k km ago and I bought the shifter used has something to do with it, maybe all the parts have already "broken in" or something and that's why I don't get any unpleasant sensations, but I definitely recommend the setup I have
      02-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #12
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I've installed the shifter yesterday. Man, is that a pain in the ass haha. Removing the original one went pretty easy, I didn't even have to lower the transmission but I have an ESS xpipe so it may be different with the x moved forward. I also didn't remove the carrier since I had all the bushings already replaced (delrin front and poly 70A rear).

Installation of the new one was a pain on every step, starting with locking the coupler with that small pin and finishing with squeezing the 6 bolts that hold the basket (there's like 1.5 cm clearence ).

Driving impressions - this thing is out of this world. So precise, so solid and crisp I can't even describe it. Very satisfied. Throw reduction in my case doesn't seem too agressive but it is noticable with almost no extra effort - I don't care how much % is it, but it feels perfect to me.

NVH - I was trying really hard to hear it, but I couldn't. There is minimal whine audible at lower speeds, which was present with the bushings alone. Now it's maybe a bit louder, but gets almost immediately droned out by exhaust and road noise. For reference I have a HFC xpipe and Billy Boat rear section - probably something comparable to test pipes and a mild/sport exhaust in terms of volume.
The shifter has a bit more vibration in some rpm range, but it isn't bad at all.
Maybe the fact that the bushings have been installed about 1.5 years and over 10k km ago and I bought the shifter used has something to do with it, maybe all the parts have already "broken in" or something and that's why I don't get any unpleasant sensations, but I definitely recommend the setup I have
Can confirm some of this.

-Install is a PITA, literally. One it's done though, you'll appreciate it.

-I didn't get any noise after my install.

-Been about a year now with the new shifter, and I still love it. 20% reduction is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:30 AM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:

It is a wonderful mod.

Back when the F8X came out and I was planning to get one I called Ronald to see if he made a kit for it. He didn't, but I resolved to just send my car to him so he could use it as a development platform.
That is how awesome this kit is
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 12:16 AM   #14
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Does anyone know about maintenance replacement of some parts for this shifter? I saw videos and it looked like it had zero play, mine has some lateral play (probably like 5mm at the top of the M5 knob) and I am wondering if I should maybe replace something to make it feel new again.
      04-18-2020, 01:38 AM   #15
Vybz
Captain
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: Adidas and Puma

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [8.60]
Quote:
Does anyone know about maintenance replacement of some parts for this shifter? I saw videos and it looked like it had zero play, mine has some lateral play (probably like 5mm at the top of the M5 knob) and I am wondering if I should maybe replace something to make it feel new again.
I'd ensure that you have the plastic spacers on both sides of the front and rear shift lever arm pins. It'll introduce slack if they aren't there and can be easily lost/dropped when removing/installing the c clips that hold shift lever arm in place.

Other than that, I can't speak for NVH. Most of my driveline has solid/delrin bushings.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 01:43 AM   #16
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vybz View Post
Quote:
I'd ensure that you have the plastic spacers on both sides of the front and rear shift lever arm pins. It'll introduce slack if they aren't there and can be easily lost/dropped when removing/installing the c clips that hold shift lever arm in place.

Other than that, I can't speak for NVH. Most of my driveline has solid/delrin bushings.
Thanks.
I have installed 2 plastic spacers for each joint - one per side of the selector rod assembly. The c clips fit tight. I am thinking maybe the rod joint needs replacing? It looked all good but who knows.
      04-19-2020, 04:46 AM   #17
miksebik
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Hi guys, I have got a 335i with an AS shifter and it looks like the shifter has much bigger support here.
The thing is, that I had the shifter installed, with the yellow bushings (80a). I have a single mass flywheel too which might add a little, but the fact is that the noise from the tranmission is present and it is not very nice. This chatter sounds like an old radio (the old sssshhshssshhhsss sound). The chatter goes a little away, when above 3000rpm, but still, I get a little headache from it :-D
In the shop, they told me to install the oem bushings, that it would make it quiet. Has anybody tried to compare the bushings? Will the "shifter travel change much, with OEM bushings?"

Also, my knob is a little tilted away from driver, but the indy said the original was tilted too.

video with my situation (it is still there, both accelerating and decelerating, the shifter just transmits all the noises from transmission)

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 05:25 AM   #18
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Why did you install stiffer bushings that transmit more noise and vibration?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 06:44 AM   #19
miksebik
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Why did you install stiffer bushings that transmit more noise and vibration?
Well, after a discussion with Ronald, he said that these 80a would be OK and do not transfer much noise. So I tried :-) Good to see there are others with issues and we can find out a solution (even though every case is slightly different).
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #20
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

The stock shifter is the same design, mounted in the same places. Making fancy billet parts with tighter tolerances does not increase vibration. Not knocking the parts — An AS SSK is on my list of mods to buy. Reducing bushing isolation at the ends by substituting harder materials increases vibration. I would check obvious stuff first, like whether it was installed correctly, is still installed correctly, and whether there are any other explanations for the vibration, such as a heat shield, failing motor or trans mounts or too stiff mounts if aftermarket were installed, exhaust touching something, etc. If you installed the single mass flywheel at the same time, you introduced more variables to the equation — single mass don’t dampen as well as dual mass, which is why bmw uses dual mass flywheels. I have converted both of my manual BMWs from dual mass to single mass. Done right, people usually don’t complain.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 04:40 PM   #21
miksebik
Rep

Thank you for your advice, well, I have had the SMFW for 4 years. It has definitely brought up NVH that would be unaccaptable for many people - on 5th gear in certain revs, it is realy ugly. But I got used to it. I believe it depends on many variables, what comes from a singlemass FW install.
This shifter drone is different and the theory with bad bushings/touching parts is interesting and worth looking into. I have new OEM trans and engine bushings ready to be installed.. Although this looks more like noise coming from inside of the transmission, rather from it as a whole.
I also read here that somebody supported the transmission before installing the brace below the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #22
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Yes, use a jack or similar adjustable support so you can remove the brace, change the mounts and raise the trans back up. Trans mounts are really rear engine mounts so you would have to be strong to muscle it back into place.
Appreciate 0