BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #45
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
inside (BMW) job?
I heard that happens too...

My friends Mercedes G-55 AMG truck got stolen from his driveway... and it turned ot to be mercedes inside job.
      01-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #46
nickkacha858
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

well i just recently got a 2009 melbourne red m3. pissed i dont have a 6 speed. dct will have to do
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #47
Eazy-e
Dope-like a pound or a key
Rep
Drives: 09 e82 135i

FUUUCK. I bet you 1000 dollars that fucker had the exact KEY. I don't know how these fools are getting access dealership keys but this shit happens a lot. I have had my previous car which I rarely park outside(acura rsxs) stolen from my driveway along with a toyota land cruiser(with two jetskis) in the same night in La Jolla. Want to know how? they had the keys.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #48
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkacha858 View Post
the story is what it is. i had my spare at my other house and then my usual key in my pocket. walked to the garage and it was gone. i have my 2 keys
Did you called BMW assist to track the car???
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #49
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy-e View Post
FUUUCK. I bet you 1000 dollars that fucker had the exact KEY. I don't know how these fools are getting access dealership keys but this shit happens a lot. I have had my previous car which I rarely park outside(acura rsxs) stolen from my driveway along with a toyota land cruiser(with two jetskis) in the same night in La Jolla. Want to know how? they had the keys.
Damn and I thought La Jolla had it locked down. Such a nice place, I guess thugs realized that's were nice cars were.
      01-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #50
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

but why would he go through all that high tech trouble just to go for a joyride? you'd figure a thief that sophisticated would be stealing cars for a reason (i.e. selling them, etc.)

something doesn't seem right. just saying..
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 12:34 AM   #51
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Did you called BMW assist to track the car???
That service isn't free is it? I just bought my M3 and it is fully loaded, even has lowjack early warning, but no remote kill . Curious if it gets stolen, started, with lowjack telling me, if I can call BMW right after tio tell them.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 08:42 AM   #52
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Wow this sucks. I'd really like to know how this keeps happening
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #53
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

A few points and observations:

1. Just because you go into a BMW dealership and "steal" or purchase a new fob doesn't mean it will work with your car. It has to be coded to your specific car - there are no "master" fobs that will simply open any BMW. The only way it would work is if either (a) BMW has EVERY car's codes stored somewhere and programs the key in Germany, then ships it to the dealership (makes no sense) OR (b) you have to come in with the car to have the new fob programmed to your car (far, far more likely). That would preclude someone simply ordering a new key for your specific car. So, I doubt the thief had a normal "key" for that car.

2. Given the OP's story, there are a couple of possibilities:

a. The OP left the key in the car, along with his wallet, which means it really wasn't a "theft" since the keys were right there. I think we can all agree that this is, by far, the most-likely scenario.
b. The thief was part of a tech-savvy theft ring, and either the crew brute-force attacked the car with computers OR they had a second ECU programmed to a set of keys they had, which would mean that they popped the hood, replaced the ECU, and then drove off with the car. This method has some followers in Europe. That takes time, however, and most thieves won't risk being out in the open for 10-15 minutes to get all the work done. So, maybe it was a computer attack, but if that's the case, then it would have to be done in close proximity to the fob - the range isn't that far PLUS the signal to start the car is passive, not active, meaning that it's designed to only work within the confines of the car - about 5 foot signal range - that's why if you step out of range with the fob, the car won't start even if you've activated the system by opening the doors from a distance. That means that, in order to "copy" the codes from the fob, someone would have to be within about 5 feet of it with a computer to ping-and-record the fob's responses. Both scenarios are highly doubtful - especially at a party where someone's computer use right next to you would be noticed.

Until a better explanation comes along, I'll go with "left the fob in the car." Sorry, but that's the only thing that makes sense, unless there are sophisticated European car theft rings circling certain parts of San Diego on the hopes of hitting a great car.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #54
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN M3 View Post

1. Just because you go into a BMW dealership and "steal" or purchase a new fob doesn't mean it will work with your car. It has to be coded to your specific car - there are no "master" fobs that will simply open any BMW. The only way it would work is if either (a) BMW has EVERY car's codes stored somewhere and programs the key in Germany, then ships it to the dealership (makes no sense) OR (b) you have to come in with the car to have the new fob programmed to your car (far, far more likely). That would preclude someone simply ordering a new key for your specific car. So, I doubt the thief had a normal "key" for that car.

a. The OP left the key in the car, along with his wallet, which means it really wasn't a "theft" since the keys were right there. I think we can all agree that this is, by far, the most-likely scenario.
b. The thief was part of a tech-savvy theft ring, and either the crew brute-force attacked the car with computers OR they had a second ECU programmed to a set of keys they had, which would mean that they popped the hood, replaced the ECU, and then drove off with the car. This method has some followers in Europe. That takes time, however, and most thieves won't risk being out in the open for 10-15 minutes to get all the work done. So, maybe it was a computer attack, but if that's the case, then it would have to be done in close proximity to the fob - the range isn't that far PLUS the signal to start the car is passive, not active, meaning that it's designed to only work within the confines of the car - about 5 foot signal range - that's why if you step out of range with the fob, the car won't start even if you've activated the system by opening the doors from a distance. That means that, in order to "copy" the codes from the fob, someone would have to be within about 5 feet of it with a computer to ping-and-record the fob's responses. Both scenarios are highly doubtful - especially at a party where someone's computer use right next to you would be noticed.

Until a better explanation comes along, I'll go with "left the fob in the car." Sorry, but that's the only thing that makes sense, unless there are sophisticated European car theft rings circling certain parts of San Diego on the hopes of hitting a great car.
Sounds viable. Nothing else really makes sense other than leaving the fob and wallet in the car...which, I'm not judging the OP and just simply trying not to make the same mistake or prevent my ride from being stolen.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #55
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
but why would he go through all that high tech trouble just to go for a joyride? you'd figure a thief that sophisticated would be stealing cars for a reason (i.e. selling them, etc.)

something doesn't seem right. just saying..
+100

Anyway, OP you should consider yourself lucky the car was totaled - would you seriously want it back?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #56
Surfclown
Is this thing on?
Italy
Rep
Drives: the point home!

Quote:

OP mentioned he was technically in possession of both keys. I don't know, is it really that surprising that as technology keeps getter better - so do criminals. Either way is sucks and I'm sure a huge hassle.

OP - replacing with another M3?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #57
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfclown View Post
OP mentioned he was technically in possession of both keys. I don't know, is it really that surprising that as technology keeps getter better - so do criminals. Either way is sucks and I'm sure a huge hassle.

OP - replacing with another M3?
Well, if in fact the OP had both fobs, then it is a serious security vulnerability that BMW needs to fix; wish I knew the actual cause.

In my eyes, the thief couldn't of been that high-tech considering that he crashed the car. A real thief with theft-ring resources would of had the car chopped or shipped (or ready to ship) by the time the theft was discovered.

This case seems more like a kid going on a joy ride...

I would think law enforcement would told the OP if it was a theft-ring operation.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #58
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Well, if in fact the OP had both fobs, then it is a serious security vulnerability that BMW needs to fix; wish I knew the actual cause.
It doesn't seem too far fetched to me that an insider at a dealership could copy your key when your car was in for service. They obviously have this ability for when someone loses a key. Then, the key could sit for months unused by said insider or and/or his accomplices until they think it is safe. Alternatively they could sell the keys to someone else along with the address of the vehicle owner and the tag numbers.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #59
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It doesn't seem too far fetched to me that an insider at a dealership could copy your key when your car was in for service. They obviously have this ability for when someone loses a key. Then, the key could sit for months unused by said insider or and/or his accomplices until they think it is safe. Alternatively they could sell the keys to someone else along with the address of the vehicle owner and the tag numbers.
If so, and if this was premeditated, the thief would of done something other than just crash it against a rock. I would think that thieves pay $$$$ for hot pre-programmed keys; anyone who paid for such an item would be stealing a car for profit not crashing into a rock. Didn't you watch Gone in 60 Seconds? LOL!

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #60
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If so, and if this was premeditated, the thief would of done something other than just crash it against a rock. I would think that thieves pay $$$$ for hot pre-programmed keys; anyone who paid for such an item would be stealing a car for profit not crashing into a rock.
I agree. Unless this was the unluckiest professional thief on earth, this seems to be a joyride, not a theft-for-profit kind of situation.

The only way the original key could have been copied at the dealership is when the car was there for service, and the dealership would have a record of ordering new fobs and a record of the reprogramming on a new key - they don't just do it for sh*ts and giggles.

The computer attack or the ECU replacement are viable theft alternatives, but both require a high degree of electronic sophistication not readily available. Those kinds of thieves would have had the car in pieces (certainly, they would have had the BMW Assist deactivated immediately and the car cut-up) before the owner noticed it was gone.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #61
anthony @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: R56 Cooper S

What a terrible story... some people suck. Hope everything get's worked out easily and quickly for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #62
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
If so, and if this was premeditated, the thief would of done something other than just crash it against a rock. I would think that thieves pay $$$$ for hot pre-programmed keys; anyone who paid for such an item would be stealing a car for profit not crashing into a rock. Didn't you watch Gone in 60 Seconds? LOL!

-SZ
Well, true, but obviously he didn't crash on purpose. He was young and probably an inexperienced driver. It seems quite plausible to me that this same type of person would have little trouble landing a job at a dealership with the idea of cloning keys, or would at least be acquainted with someone else who did.

I really don't think the OP is either lying about having both keys, or mistaken about having both keys.

Quote:
The only way the original key could have been copied at the dealership is when the car was there for service, and the dealership would have a record of ordering new fobs and a record of the reprogramming on a new key - they don't just do it for sh*ts and giggles.
Right, but how does the existence of the record keep the crime from being perpetrated? It might very well be there, but it could have been falsified. Or possibly destroyed. Just because there would be evidence that might tie the individual to the crime after the fact, doesn't mean he could not have possibly perpetrated the crime despite that risk.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #63
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Right, but how does the existence of the record keep the crime from being perpetrated? It might very well be there, but it could have been falsified. Or possibly destroyed. Just because there would be evidence that might tie the individual to the crime after the fact, doesn't mean he could not have possibly perpetrated the crime despite that risk.
Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. Either the driver is an, "inexperienced young driver" (in which case, he wouldn't be a criminal mastermind with the ability to magically delete all kinds of dealership records), or he's a pro, in which case stuffing the car was, what, an accident? Regardless of who is working at the dealership, there would still be records that could be easily found - BMW in Germany would have the record of the keys being ordered. There would be a computer trace of a key being programmed to the VIN on the OP's car. Lots of things. They couldn't have eliminated all the records - impossible. So, unless Barney Fife is working for SDPD, they would have uncovered this criminal conspiracy, wouldn't they? The OP's M3 cannot be the only one if there is a crime syndicate at work here - they are into volume, not one car every few months. A lot of BMW's would be missing.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #64
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

I thought I had read some high-tech story here about only a certain number of compatible fobs for a particular car being made and stored somewhere in Germany, requiring a request for one of those before any programming could even begin?

That may have BS too, but I didn't get the impression the teller and responders were full of BS either.....
      01-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #65
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Some may be getting ahead of themselves.

From what is posted, the OP has never mentioned fobs just keys, and this thread still doesn't have any info about tech package or no tech package.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #66
nickkacha858
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

the guy had a big preious past of car theft. he just got out of prison in october 2009. says something... the car? now who knows how this guy did this. i wonder about it everyday. he was seen speeding so he tried to run from the cops. the cops said if he would of made the turn that he attempted he would of been GONE. they would of never caught him butttt i always have mdm on., even when you just turn the car on. little bit of loose tire caused him to go straight for the rock on accident. who knows what kind of technology this guy had but he knew how to do it. apparently he was on his way home or someones house with the car. the story is a mystery but the guy is in jail for awhile cause he had such a bad record. besides that insurance gave me enough for a 2009 melbourne red dct e92 on its way. it should be here tomorrow
Appreciate 0