BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

07-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #177
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I think the orders would fill up much quicker if you were given the option of either HFC or resonators. I know it might just not be possible considering how low production this thing is.

Going straight pipes eliminates a lot of muffler choices.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, we have tested this system with some of the best catalysts out there, HJS. The system exhibited no power loss/gain with minimal changes to sound. For this reason, we will never manufacture the system with catalysts as the system is for off-road use only and will only add weight and heat.

The orders are coming in 1 by 1, hopefully they fill up quick so we can start production sooner than later.
Maybe a thread in the marketplace section with an ongoing list will get this piece more views in-turn sparking more intrest. Can copy this thread link or just copy paste all the meat and potato sections that give specifics. Just a thought.

Im going to do a couple dynojet runs before (TP's + Megan rear + Dinan cf intake + bpm stage 2 tune) and a couple after to get some numbers from a tuned NA car. Id post up all the stuff which I'm sure will get even more people to bite. Maybe even some runs against my no cat Carolina buddies to give real life video comparison. Let me know if I can help the cause :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #178
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
Maybe a thread in the marketplace section with an ongoing list will get this piece more views in-turn sparking more intrest. Can copy this thread link or just copy paste all the meat and potato sections that give specifics. Just a thought.

Im going to do a couple dynojet runs before (TP's + Megan rear + Dinan cf intake + bpm stage 2 tune) and a couple after to get some numbers from a tuned NA car. Id post up all the stuff which I'm sure will get even more people to bite. Maybe even some runs against my no cat Carolina buddies to give real life video comparison. Let me know if I can help the cause :-)
Sounds good, you should do a DB test so we know how loud it really is, im guessing its A LOT higher then a Cated x-pipe like an Akra.
      08-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #179
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
As mentioned earlier in this thread, we have tested this system with some of the best catalysts out there, HJS. The system exhibited no power loss/gain with minimal changes to sound. For this reason, we will never manufacture the system with catalysts as the system is for off-road use only and will only add weight and heat.

The orders are coming in 1 by 1, hopefully they fill up quick so we can start production sooner than later.
I'd go catless anyway, but no resonators is a deal breaker for me unfortunately. I spent thousands trying to find the right exhaust combination (and to me it's literally perfect right now), and I'm not willing to buy a $2000 x-pipe and then hack it up to throw some $90 resonators on there.

Add to the fact that if the Megans don't turn out good (aka too loud), you'll have to invest another $2k to find a quieter muffler. That's just a little too rich for me.

Either way, I can't wait to see the results though.

Quote:

I'm game
But I'm getting used HRE's next week so the wheel/tire combo will be significantly different between our 2 cars.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT

Last edited by W///; 08-01-2013 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #180
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm game
But I'm getting used HRE's next week so the wheel/tire combo will be significantly different between our 2 cars.
That's cool with me. As long as I'm faster you can take the "better looking" title I am really thinking of going 265 square with the 220Ms so i may be looking for 2 new wheels at some point

Last edited by lsmkr01; 08-01-2013 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #181
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Thats cool with me. As long as I'm faster you can take the "better looking" title
Time to just get a supercharged if you are going for all out hp
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #182
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
I feel yah man. Remember I had the MRF xpipe too. Unfortunately, I mates it with the oem muffler and hated the combo. Malek also told me I had an exhaust leak which causes the excessive fumes.

Before I go that route again, I'll need to find a good muffler that is not too loud. Sounds like the ESS would be a good match. Or perhaps an Akra. Something to tone things down a bit. My AA axle back is too loud for me (might be an exhaust leak since it is droning more).
Can't go wrong with the ESS.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #183
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike
MRF should really Make a HFC X-pipe based on there Cat-less design, there's most likely a larger market share w/ the Cated X-pipes.

I like the thought of the added power of the cat-less pipe, but ive been down that road with other cars and its to much noise for me, and im sure many others.
The MRF axle back is also designed to produce good sound when mated with the xpipe. Sounded very good from what I was able to gather from the videos.
As for me, I wasn't as ready as i thought for an xpipe at that time so I gave my MRF up and went back to oem.

I haven't broken grip switching to 2nd gear since lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #184
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The MRF axle back is also designed to produce good sound when mated with the xpipe. Sounded very good from what I was able to gather from the videos.
As for me, I wasn't as ready as i thought for an xpipe at that time so I gave my MRF up and went back to oem.

Too bad the MRF rear section is no longer available and everyone that has one is not ready or willing to sell.

Are you running a larger rear wheel set-up? I break traction switching to second all the time. (TP's + BPM stage II + Dinan Intake + Michelin PSS OEM sizes)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #185
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01
Quote:

Too bad the MRF rear section is no longer available and everyone that has one is not ready or willing to sell.

Are you running a larger rear wheel set-up? I break traction switching to second all the time. (TP's + BPM stage II + Dinan Intake + Michelin PSS OEM sizes)
Stock 19's.
No mods nor tune other than the AA axle back. I cannot squirt the tires in a 1-2 shift (pretty much not at all unless I go balls out). 6mt too.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #186
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
Time to just get a supercharged if you are going for all out hp
More interested in being a fast NA 4L. Diet will come later on to assist in that goal.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #187
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stock 19's.
No mods nor tune other than the AA axle back. I cannot squirt the tires in a 1-2 shift (pretty much not at all unless I go balls out). 6mt too.
Even with DCS completely off? I can do it as well with MDM (US and def Euro). You taking it to around redline in first before sifting? I know the 1-2 shift isn't butter like 3-4 and takes a second longer. Either way my interest is peaked to see what gains I get over TP's.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #188
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
I'd go catless anyway, but no resonators is a deal breaker for me unfortunately. I spent thousands trying to find the right exhaust combination (and to me it's literally perfect right now), and I'm not willing to buy a $2000 x-pipe and then hack it up to throw some $90 resonators on there.

Add to the fact that if the Megans don't turn out good (aka too loud), you'll have to invest another $2k to find a quieter muffler. That's just a little too rich for me.
Too bad you're not in California, otherwise I'd show you my set up and give you a chance to listen to it. I think all of your concerns would be alleviated. Mated with the Akra rear, the MRF midpipe is surprisingly civil. No resonators needed at all.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #189
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Actually, you're not the first person I've heard this from. Two other people (with NA cars) have told me that as soon as they put the MRF midpipe on, the gains were so big that they were actually breaking traction in early gears. For the people who are curious to know what kind of gains the MRF midpipe creates on an NA car - this is somewhat of an indicator

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #190
BURAKUSTA
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 COUPE

You guys pay 2000 dollars for a x-pipe ?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #191
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Retail on the Akra is more than that, but yes, absurd, no? M-tax.
      08-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #192
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire
Quote:

Actually, you're not the first person I've heard this from. Two other people (with NA cars) have told me that as soon as they put the MRF midpipe on, the gains were so big that they were actually breaking traction in early gears. For the people who are curious to know what kind of gains the MRF midpipe creates on an NA car - this is somewhat of an indicator
Yes and I did not have a tune with it. I was able to break traction near redline if I floored it early and squirt tires in second! Not anymore. However, I let someone ballsy drive it when I first got it which was all stock. He squirted the tires in first to second and I tend to recall second to third. My son had no hesitation to shift hard. I asked how in the hell you managed to do that? He said, I just wound it up and shifted. So I tried it and felt like I was beating the shit out of it as i pulled the lever back to second and succeeded. I didn't realize what it took. Why? Because it feels notchy from 1-2. So I do know that I can pull the stick so hard to force that sonna bit. With the MRF, it didn't take that effort. When I squirted the tires it was unexpected.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #193
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
postCnt+=postCnt++;

A year later at the Mary Hills Loop event, I tried a few take offs and couldn't for the life of me avoid the grind. The attempts and grrrr. So I don't bother anymore, don't have to do that with the xpipe (I guess any xpipe).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #194
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
if you were in California i'd invite you to come pay me a visit and check it out for yourself. mated with the akra rear - the exhaust noise is VERY liveable from the interior and sounds like an F1 car from the exterior
Would love it if you had a video of your setup with interior and exterior sounds!

08-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #195
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M3

How are gains on completely stock car?
      08-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #196
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duk
Quote:
if you were in California i'd invite you to come pay me a visit and check it out for yourself. mated with the akra rear - the exhaust noise is VERY liveable from the interior and sounds like an F1 car from the exterior
Would love it if you had a video of your setup with interior and exterior sounds!

I'll try to put one together. need a camera with a good mic.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #197
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
I'll try to put one together. need a camera with a good mic.
^ ^ ^ here's my attempt using a GoPro with no mic.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856728
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #198
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
^ ^ ^ here's my attempt using a GoPro with no mic.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856728
Sounds awesome in that video, even with the crappy mic. I think what these guys want, though, is a video with the sound recorded from the interior cabin to see how civil it is for daily driving.

Adam (lonboarder) and I, are essentially running the exact same set up - MRF x-pipe paired with akra rear, on an ESS supercharged car. I've sat in his car, and he's sat in mine. I think we can both fairly say that from the interior of the car, this exhaust is very liveable, bordering on civil. From the outside though, its a wily different car - the sound is ferocious. Its amazing to hear the stark tonal differences of this exhaust from the inside of the car as compared to the outside. I can't think of any other exhaust set up I've been inside of that sounds so "F1" from the outside, compared to how tame it is on the inside.

Last edited by esquire; 08-04-2013 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0