BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #45
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I have settled on the e90. I do love the look of the coupe and the inability to have the CF roof on the sedan kinda sucks, but I do need to be a bit practical here. As much as I would like it to be, it won't only be me in it or driving it. I will use the back seat for my two small boys and the wife will have to drive it from time to time. I am glad to hear that the weight difference is negligable.
Wife isn't being tricked though lol. She knows full well what a beast this car is and she's begging me to get the DCT. No way. I may just have to set some extra cash aside for replacement clutches hahaha.
I was also briefly thinking of an E60 M5 instead, but I think I will have more fun in the M3.
Now just to find one....
Thanks again.
Welcome - you won't regret it!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #46
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I like the sedan a lot more. It looks more muscular, it's stealth when you just want to get around town and not be noticed and can be a wild beast when you want to drive fast. But people always thinks it is just another BMW sedan. Car guys know what it is. The other people, I don't care if they know or not.

Also, the sedan is a lot more rare. You'll see many more M3 coupes before you see a M3 sedan. It just feels more exclusive.
      05-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #47
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I have settled on the e90. I do love the look of the coupe and the inability to have the CF roof on the sedan kinda sucks, but I do need to be a bit practical here. As much as I would like it to be, it won't only be me in it or driving it. I will use the back seat for my two small boys and the wife will have to drive it from time to time. I am glad to hear that the weight difference is negligable.
Wife isn't being tricked though lol. She knows full well what a beast this car is and she's begging me to get the DCT. No way. I may just have to set some extra cash aside for replacement clutches hahaha.
I was also briefly thinking of an E60 M5 instead, but I think I will have more fun in the M3.
Now just to find one....
Thanks again.
a strong factor that drew me to the sedan is that it only adds about 25 lb.,so there's no performance penalty,and it's a muscular looking sedan.i agree that the cf roof on the coupe looks great,and would be torn between that and a sunroof if getting a coupe,but since you can't get it on a sedan (though you can get an aftermarket cf-looking wrap,) you can get a sunroof without feeling like you missed out.it is wonderful to have and open up on nice days,gives you some of the fresh-air feel of a convertible with only a small amout of extra weight (around 30-40 lb. according to some threads i looked at)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #48
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast, very very fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I like the sedan a lot more. It looks more muscular, it's stealth when you just want to get around town and not be noticed and can be a wild beast when you want to drive fast. But people always thinks it is just another BMW sedan. Car guys know what it is. The other people, I don't care if they know or not.

Also, the sedan is a lot more rare. You'll see many more M3 coupes before you see a M3 sedan. It just feels more exclusive.
That is pretty cool. I do agree that for having 4 doors, it is still pretty attractive. I've always loved sleepers too. Your right about the sedans being more rare and most people not having a clue what it is. I like that. The coupe does kinda scream I'm a badass, race me and see lol. The sedan says I'm a badass but I don't look like it. Race me and you'll see though.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #49
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
That is pretty cool. I do agree that for having 4 doors, it is still pretty attractive. I've always loved sleepers too. Your right about the sedans being more rare and most people not having a clue what it is. I like that. The coupe does kinda scream I'm a badass, race me and see lol. The sedan says I'm a badass but I don't look like it. Race me and you'll see though.
The only thing I miss is having the carbon roof. I never use the moonroof on my car and it feels like a waste of space and weight.
      05-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #50
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The only thing I miss is having the carbon roof. I never use the moonroof on my car and it feels like a waste of space and weight.
I'm just the opposite, I can't imagine a car without a sunroof/moonroof. I use mine all the time. Every time I'm in my wife's subi, I wish we had one (was not an option).
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #51
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Now just to find one....
Thanks again.
Yeah, if you have kids it's an absolute no brainer. I do love the rear end of the LCI sedans - it has a bulldog stance that reminds me of the e46 m3. One nice thing that you can say about the e90 is that it's (arguably) the greatest sports sedan ever made.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #52
M3Guy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Had a e46 M3 and went to a e92 Coupe M3. Couldn't be happier. I like the looks of the coupe better (not so family car looking) and I'm a tall guy so I like that B pillar being away from the side of my face. I also love the CF roof. I'm one of those people who think sports cars should have two doors. I actually have two kids, 10 and 7 and both are tall. This is my weekend/track car so it's not really a problem as I'm not even sure both kids and the wife have been in it all at the same some lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #53
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Okay, I'm going to buck the trend here.

I don't love the way the sedan looks. Even in M3 form, it just didn't do it for me. I like the rear bumper of the coupe much better and the profile of the coupe is just sexier to my eyes. Also, for me, I never open the moonroof and the roof on my E46 Coupe broke twice. Also, when I saw the preproduction M3 with the Carbon Roof, I knew the CF roof was a must have for me.

I am 40 (41 later this year), I have 2 kids (7 and 5) and for their entire lives, daddy's car always only had 2 doors. Our other vehicle has been an Audi Allroad (2004 A6 based version) and a Honda Odyssey so we had a 'practical' vehicle as well. The kids can now climb in and out no problem and can even buckle themselves in so the inconvenience of not having the extra 2 doors is minimal.

It boils down to personal preference. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Also, IND can do a CF roof for the sedan. It would probably cost around the same as the difference in the cost between the coupe and sedan. If you really have to have it, it can be done.

I will add one more interesting tidbit for the Sedan Fanboys/girls. The Sedan body is apparently more aerodynamic than the coupe. This is according to Turner Motorsports Website (even though their M3 Race cars are all coupe bodied).
      05-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #54
PrometheusM3
Aquarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Silver View Post
I am part of the fail crew with coupe x sunroof. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Fail crew
      05-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #55
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
I'm a tall guy so I like that B pillar being away from the side of my face.
The coupe does have much better blind-spot-checking visibility. I noticed this when test-driving them - I'm 6'1".

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchuck72 View Post
The Sedan body is apparently more aerodynamic than the coupe.
= higher max velocity minus limiter?

Last edited by davesaddiction; 05-06-2013 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #56
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

I am married with no kids. I went looking for a CPO 6MT E92 coupe 2 years ago, there were none anywhere near me. I work lots and didn't have time to travel all over looking at cars. I went to look at an E90 6MT that was close to me and fell in love with it. After seeing them in person I think the sedan is slightly better looking than the coupe, but I miss the CF roof. The car I bought was optioned without the moon roof and I thought I'd miss it, but now I kind of feel like a moon roof doesn't belong on a sports car, even a 4 door one.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #57
superflywheel
ʘʘ Comandante
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.50001 E92 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
These threads always have people chiming in for what they own. So add a vote for E92 with carbon fiber roof. My kids are 5 and 9 and love the back of the coupe. I also thought a sunroof was a requirement for me but i really love the carbon fiber roof; it's really sharp and a regular conversation starter. I haven't missed having a sunroof at all - on prior cars with sunroofs I really couldn't enjoy the view as a driver and the sun/heat soak incurred was always a problem leaving work on hot summer days.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #58
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I have settled on the e90. I do love the look of the coupe and the inability to have the CF roof on the sedan kinda sucks...

If you want to pay, you can play:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313777
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #59
Top Shelf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AMG C63 Edition 507

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
I recently had the choice of coupe or sedan and went with the sedan. Both cars look great, but I prefer the more bulging appearance of the E90, add to that a bit more practicality and a happy wife and you can't go wrong!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #60
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

two great cars, you can't go wrong. The "family guy" factor would be huge if you were driving with kids in baby seats. My 2 cents based on my family guy status: by the time they're in booster seats and can buckle themselves in, the extra two doors just don't matter until they're adults and too tall to laze comfy in the back.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #61
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I went for the coupe for the carbon fiber roof (being bald + Texas + sunroof = cooked brain), and the two doors to discourage people from asking for rides and weighing me down when I'm trying to drive recklessly.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #62
evoBLAST
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5, M3, EVO9

always preferred sedans for some reason - usu less common. fake M3.......riiight.....
my DCT always takes out my friend's manual trans coupe but thats another issue...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #63
cris///M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3 VF SG 620

I think that the E90 sedan looks better
Appreciate 0