BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

10-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
Do Work
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Fuel leak on driver side tank

Hey guys,

I had my car up on the lift last night and noticed fuel on the underside of my driver side gas tank, I've noticed the smell for the last little while but always just assumed it was from my catless exhaust. After further investigation I noticed the fuel seems to be seeping out from the top of the tank and running down. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of this issue before? I havent removed the tank and located the leak as it seems like quite a task to get into without seeking any insight.

Thanks in advance.
@yellowheadlights on IG
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
Do Work
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Alright, Just in case anyone has the same issue I've been having IE; strong unburned fuel scent from left side rear quarter panel, I've found the issue, and I guess it is quite common amongst these cars even though I couldn't find much on this issue with the M3's.

After lifting the rear seat and removing 4 10mm nuts the fuel pump/ fuel filter transfer pump is exposed, I noticed some pooled gasoline in there, I turned the ignition on and allowed the pump to pressurize the system and fuel literally started spraying out of the exposed plastic top from quite a few hairline cracks.

I have now ordered the replacement kit luckily it was the fuel pump transfer side (left side) and not the fuel pump assembly side (right side) as it is half the price. I will replace this when the part gets here and the issue should be remediated.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

I should note that even though this is located under the rear seat there was no scent of fuel in the actual car, I could only notice the scent after driving, outside of the car, and like I noted before the unburned fuel is visible underneath the car on the gas tank.
@yellowheadlights on IG
Appreciate 1
Theodore668.50
      10-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
This is a super common issue among all bmw models. Eventually they all do it. Be sure to go slow, and make sure all of the cross over lines and wiring are reattached properly without interfering with the float. If you don't get the lower bucket perfect in its spot, the fuel gauge will read wayyyyyyy off.
      08-22-2022, 09:25 PM   #4
MetallicGrayBimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

Evening. I believe I have the same issue. I was gifted an E91 and I smell gas on the driver rear side. I would like to know the name or part number so I can order it. Also, if there's a video or anything like that that would help me take care of it, that would be awesome.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Work View Post
Hey guys,

I had my car up on the lift last night and noticed fuel on the underside of my driver side gas tank, I've noticed the smell for the last little while but always just assumed it was from my catless exhaust. After further investigation I noticed the fuel seems to be seeping out from the top of the tank and running down. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of this issue before? I havent removed the tank and located the leak as it seems like quite a task to get into without seeking any insight.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 04:47 PM   #5
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, G82 M4

Yes.... As these cars age, the fuel sender housing cracks and it begins to smell like fuel and often times leaks as well. The issue is not the rubber seal, replacing that will not solve it as the entire assembly needs to be replaced. The driver side unit is more prone to failing than the passenger side.
Appreciate 0