BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
SchwarzerM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Question 2008 M3 E90 clicking noise....once more...video...

Hello,

I've just read another thread regarding clicking noise....took my car for a spin and listened for...well, clicking noise
I pulled back in the garage, windows down, sure enough....there is a clicking noise....
Jumped out of the car, popped the hood, stuck my head in the engine bay and it seems to come from the left bank underneath the valve cover...

It sounds like one valve is clicking....I have to admit, the clicking is a little louder in the video than it is in reality, however, it is noticeable if you stay in front of the car...even with closed hood.
Check also 22'nd, 23'rd second, the RPM's went up and down again...nobody in the car, the car was idling...

Here is the link to the video:

Anyone experienced the same clicking noise? Where is it coming from?

Alex
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
BCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

It's hard to tell from your video but I think mine sounds similar when idling, especially when warm. It's done it since new and I assume it's normal. I have 7300 miles now. If you are sitting in neutral idling and hear the noise, and then it goes away as soon as you give it a little gas, then it's just like mine and I wouldn't worry about it. The S65 is very high-strung for a street engine and is going to make some noises.

Past BMWs: 2015 M3, 2014 550i, 2013 M3 ZCP, 2012 535i, 2011 E90 335i, 2009 E90 M3, 2008 X5, 2006 330i, 2004 330i
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarzerM3 View Post
Hello,

I've just read another thread regarding clicking noise....took my car for a spin and listened for...well, clicking noise
I pulled back in the garage, windows down, sure enough....there is a clicking noise....
Jumped out of the car, popped the hood, stuck my head in the engine bay and it seems to come from the left bank underneath the valve cover...

It sounds like one valve is clicking....I have to admit, the clicking is a little louder in the video than it is in reality, however, it is noticeable if you stay in front of the car...even with closed hood.
Check also 22'nd, 23'rd second, the RPM's went up and down again...nobody in the car, the car was idling...

Here is the link to the video:

Anyone experienced the same clicking noise? Where is it coming from?

Alex
It sounds like a bad lifter aka cam follower since its coming just under the valve cover.
Bearing related issues creep from the bottom end of the block.
Try to isolate the sound by using a mechanic's stethoscope. I had one of my lifters go bad and it sounded like shit. It also did sound like it was coming from the bottom end of the block but when you get a garage to isolate the sound, you will know for sure where it will be. It takes time though. I changed all the lifters and they are quiet as a bat right now.

Hope this helps you.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|

Last edited by satinghostrider; 10-01-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
Alumac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prudently

Sounds like every early mileage BMW I've ever had. It goes away after ~ 20,000 miles in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
It sounds like a bad lifter aka cam follower since its coming just under the valve cover.
This engine has no lifters. The 'cam follower' is actually a bucket tappet with hydraulic valve lash adjustment. I'm curious what was wrong with yours; do you know?

And now that I think of it, one more thing could be causing those noises... if they're coming from the valvetrain: VANOS. And it wouldn't be the first time either. Very curious to hear what's the culprit. These kind of problems are the ones that make me question keeping this car after warranty. And it's a damn shame.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #6
kpneverdies
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 2010

i don't hear any "clicking" noises from your car.
look at other ppl's car, it literally makes "clicking" sound....

i think urs is normal and M3's does make that rpm go up or down sometimes, esp when you first start ur car.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 04:26 AM   #7
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
This engine has no lifters. The 'cam follower' is actually a bucket tappet with hydraulic valve lash adjustment. I'm curious what was wrong with yours; do you know?

And now that I think of it, one more thing could be causing those noises... if they're coming from the valvetrain: VANOS. And it wouldn't be the first time either. Very curious to hear what's the culprit. These kind of problems are the ones that make me question keeping this car after warranty. And it's a damn shame.
My cam followers went bad after the rebuild. I reused them and I think that was a mistake I made when I opted to reuse them. All the shit from the blow pistons must have screwed the lifter. I changed all of them and they are now very quiet. You cannot see if there is anything wrong with the cam follower because the oil channels in it is too small. Nevertheless, changing all of it solved my problem so I knew it was it.

I feel that the injectors in this car tend to make more sound over mileage.I might be wrong but that's me. Nothing wrong of course.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
SchwarzerM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

I thought it would be tough to diagnose the "clicking noise" based on the crappy movie.

Maybe it is just the normal sound of the beast and I'm already paranoid

I did a few tests today.
The sound definitely comes from the left bank underneath the valve cover and not from the bottom of the block. It seems to be louder at the end of the valve cover (towards the cabin).
It didn't make the noise with a cold engine, only if the engine is warm.
It also just does it while the motor idles, as soon as I hit the accelerator it's gone (even if I just rev it to 2k RPM). It also takes appx. 1/2 minute to start "clicking" after the engine idles, it does not start immediately.

One more thing....it sounds actually more like a "ticking noise" than a "clicking noise"

Alex
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Dgarcia41982
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 sedan

Holy thread revival batman! But i did notice today that my car makes the same noise at idle. I checked other threads that have the clicking sound by the passenger wheel well but thats not my issue. I noticed this is the only one that sounds exactly like mine. Any more insight to this? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
datninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3

Sounds almost normal to me, mine has been making the sound at idle for a while, I just stopped thinking about it. I also took it to a Indy mechanic and he said it was normal.
      05-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
nujabes24
Forever Rest In Beats
Rep
Drives: 2014 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpneverdies View Post
i don't hear any "clicking" noises from your car.
look at other ppl's car, it literally makes "clicking" sound....

i think urs is normal and M3's does make that rpm go up or down sometimes, esp when you first start ur car.
+1 exactly what he said I have a 2008, M3 same sounds since 2008 and 80k miles later same clicking sound. You should be ok bro
Appreciate 0