BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
hababa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 MG/SO

Another Oil Level Sensor Issue?

For the second time in the seven months since I've had the car the oil level dropped to 1/2 on the indicator. Last time I stopped by the dealer to pick up a couple quarts of 10W60, and they topped of the oil for me. Fast forward 5 months and the level dropped again during a 200 mile trip. Went to fill it up the yesterday morning and noticed the cap no longer fit properly, a little oil was leaking. Went down to the dealer to ask them to fix it. They had to order another cap and took it into the garage to check it out further. Two hours later I'm told the sensor isn't working, they had to get BMW to overnight a new one. Car should be ready first thing today. So I grab the best available loaner and get back to work.

I call today to find out that there is a bigger problem. BMW wants the dealer to reinstall ALL the software because the new oil level sensor isn't working properly. The car may be ready on Saturday.

Anyone have this happen to them? How long did it take to fix? Not to thrilled about driving a 328 for an extended period of time.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

It didn't sound like a problem to me (before you involved dealer, that is ), but without more details, it's hard to know. Do you know how much they topped out last time? And how many miles are you talking about when the indicator went down to 1/2? By the way, at least my '08 goes from low to half to full (you also have overfilled and more than 1L low). To understand the system, figure there's a probe at full, at half, and at low. When level goes below full, it'll show half, but that doesn't mean you're half low. It'll continue to show half until going below half, at which point would show low. Am I making sense? It's best to also understand how to read level correctly (do a search), and do the top-off yourself, so you also know how much oil your engine is consuming (if at all) over time.

Oh, and the crappy stock filler cap needs the gasket coated with oil (like if it was a canister oil filter), or it could bunch up and make a mess, which is probably what happened to yours. Yeah, it shouldn't be like that, but techs should know better. Good luck man.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
KJM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

I think they changed the oil cap on the newer ones, the one on mine looks different that all the pics I have seen so if they are giving the newer part why not.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hababa View Post
For the second time in the seven months since I've had the car the oil level dropped to 1/2 on the indicator. Last time I stopped by the dealer to pick up a couple quarts of 10W60, and they topped of the oil for me. Fast forward 5 months and the level dropped again during a 200 mile trip. Went to fill it up the yesterday morning and noticed the cap no longer fit properly, a little oil was leaking. Went down to the dealer to ask them to fix it. They had to order another cap and took it into the garage to check it out further. Two hours later I'm told the sensor isn't working, they had to get BMW to overnight a new one. Car should be ready first thing today. So I grab the best available loaner and get back to work.

I call today to find out that there is a bigger problem. BMW wants the dealer to reinstall ALL the software because the new oil level sensor isn't working properly. The car may be ready on Saturday.

Anyone have this happen to them? How long did it take to fix? Not to thrilled about driving a 328 for an extended period of time.
i think my sensor may be screwed up just got an oil change and it didnt hit the top line . i had a liter at home and added a little less than a half liter and NO CHANGE. they say its quick and cheap to change
. next time i bring it in
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
i think my sensor may be screwed up just got an oil change and it didnt hit the top line . i had a liter at home and added a little less than a half liter and NO CHANGE. they say its quick and cheap to change
. next time i bring it in
The system can be very slow to show a change after you add oil. May take a couple days of regular driving. Give me back a dipstick, please!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
G.R
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E93 M3

How many kilometres/miles on average should you get before it that sensor should warn you its low?
Appreciate 0