BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

04-21-2022, 07:34 PM   #661
ahheadlock
Rep
Drives: f10 535d, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahheadlock View Post
Hi All

I installed one of these in my F10 and I cannot get the iDrive (CIC) controller to work.

I have pushed the thing in as far and hard as it will go. I 100% guarantee it cannot go any further, i have done actual physical damage to the male plug on the supplied loom trying to get this thing to push in further lol (broke off the side tab).

I've re-done the connection maybe 15 times now, making sure to push hard and yes there is an audible click. Both connectors (oem to harness and harness to idrive controller) are as far as in as I can get them to go.

The screen powers up and there is audio from the radio, but the iDrive controller just refuses to work.

I have tried different dipswitch settings (all off, and with the switch set to "F01 model") - rebooting the radio each time. No change in behaviour.

I have reconnected all the factory OEM wiring to how it was prior to install to ensure the actual iDrive controller works - it is fine when i set it back to stock.

Apart from "push it in harder", which I promise is not possible without completely destroying something - is there anything else I can try to get this thing working?
just an update on this, i was in touch with their support who was very helpful - we ran through everything, confirmed all the connectors were correct etc. got nowhere.
they sent me out an entire new unit and it still didn't work after replacing cables and unit etc.

unable to figure out the problem in the end, must just be something perculiar to my particular car but since they cant access the car - they cant know what the problem is.

so just a heads up i guess, if you have an australian delivered f10 my13 it may not work lol.

if anyone has a suggestion for a good alternative i would appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 08:18 AM   #662
Mikla
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

Excellent thread. Just ordered unit and cameras. Will see how it all goes and post my experience when it arrives. Thanks to all for posting install guidance.
      04-23-2022, 08:44 AM   #663
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

DSP P-2000 - same harness?

Does anyone know whether the next version of the hardware is plug/pin compatible with the existing harness?

I know that the Wifi/BT antennae are incorporated into the box, but the rest of the harness is my interest - I am hoping a box upgrade to the DSP version will be simple.....
      04-23-2022, 12:12 PM   #664
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Does anyone know whether the next version of the hardware is plug/pin compatible with the existing harness?

I know that the Wifi/BT antennae are incorporated into the box, but the rest of the harness is my interest - I am hoping a box upgrade to the DSP version will be simple.....
From what I've heard it is. Just unplug old box and plug in dsp box and you are good to go
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 12:37 PM   #665
danbav
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 330i, 335i. Golf GTI mk1

Quote:

I asked that very question to support and they confirmed the the cabling/connectors are the same. I already have the later lights version with the integrated aerials.

Simply unplug the old and plug in new unit.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 12:39 PM   #666
danbav
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 330i, 335i. Golf GTI mk1

Couple of days ago I asked support for an update on the delivery to UK.

Support confirmed late april so should be shipping soon…
Appreciate 1
Has396.00
      04-23-2022, 03:22 PM   #667
Has39
Rep
Drives: E39 2002 530d, E60 2008 535d

Placed my pre order on 13th April and will be purchasing this reverse camera

LIEBMAYA 170 degree Car Trunk Handle Backup Camera Rear View HD Camera Parking Backup Camera for BMW E60 E61 E70 E71 E72 E82 E88 E84 E90 E91 E92 E93 X1 X5 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GE7NQ...RS8BR0T9ZHJPZA

I have this exact camera setup in my e39 and it works flawlessly, quality is excellent.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 06:59 PM   #668
m3boost
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 ESS625, Bronco

Does this use the oem screen with horrible resolution?

If so is there a drop in screen with nice resolution like the android headunits?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 08:06 PM   #669
Has39
Rep
Drives: E39 2002 530d, E60 2008 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3boost View Post

If so is there a drop in screen with nice resolution like the android headunits?
Quote:

Oem CIC screens are much better than the android ones IMO.
Appreciate 1
DjMarkOne105.00
      04-24-2022, 10:15 AM   #670
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:

08 (CCC) has a horrible resolution screen- 09+ (CIC) does not.

If you want the mr12volt box, and you want better screen resolution on your '08, do a CIC retrofit first.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 10:51 AM   #671
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:

Asked them the same and was told this

Not all cables are the same.
We've improved the LVDS, so you'll need to change the LVDS cable
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 01:38 PM   #672
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornM View Post

OK - that does not sound too irksome...
      04-24-2022, 01:40 PM   #673
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
OK - that does not sound too irksome...
Not quite- you gotta yank the head unit to change it.

Good to know we need to change the LVDS cable though.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 11:11 AM   #674
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Not quite- you gotta yank the head unit to change it.

Good to know we need to change the LVDS cable though.
It could be worse, at least the harness under the centre console, to the iDrive controller, is not involved!
      04-25-2022, 12:37 PM   #675
drwankel
Major
Rep

Updates from Mr12volt. The new DSP boxes will be shipping around the middle of next week for those who pre-ordered.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2022, 01:57 PM   #676
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Did anyone get there $100 discount for the repeat customer order program? I am still waiting for that.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 01:59 PM   #677
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Did anyone get there $100 discount for the repeat customer order program? I am still waiting for that.
Yes, I got it like one day after I placed my order. Did you submit your previous order number in the notes field of the purchase?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 02:15 PM   #678
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Yes, I got it like one day after I placed my order. Did you submit your previous order number in the notes field of the purchase?
I did yes. And emailed them about it aswell. They confirmed it all checked out but nothing actually has been reimbursed.

I'll pop them another email I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 10:33 PM   #679
finbarr.cnaipe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Convertible

PSA: On CarPlay make sure VPN connect on demand is off until connected.

Just a quick PSA for something I found the other day...

I have NordVPN setup on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, and auto-connect enabled for untrusted networks. So, leaving my Home Wi-Fi, phone switches to LTE/5G and NordVPN is supposed to automatically kick-in...only it didn't and was having trouble establishing a VPN connection.

In any event, the above was unknown to me at the time, and I was trying to troubleshoot why my CarPlay wireless would not connect. I spent considerable time trying various scenarios to troubleshoot. I could make CarPlay connect immediately over USB, but no matter what, it would NOT connect via Wireless.

After resetting my phone network settings, and deleting connections on both sides NUMEROUS TIMES in different orders, (with nothing working to fix), I happened by accident into the iOS VPN settings (fat finger) and noticed that my NordVPN auto-connect was in an endless loop state....connect...timeout...retry...connect...tim eout....retry....

I disabled auto-connect function for the NordVPN and ... BOOM...instant CarPlay connect.

So, the moral of the story is...if you are using VPN auto-connect on your iPhone, and having issues with Wireless CarPlay disconnecting (or unable to connect), check the VPN. This was definitely the problem and fix for me.

To note, I am still able to use both CarPlay and the VPN at the same time (while on LTE/5G for instance), it is just that the VPN needs to connect first and NordVPN was having issues connecting to my pre-configured server. (This happens frequently with the way the NordVPN app integrates into iOS...if you setup an autoconnect on untrusted networks and mobile, it picks a server the first time you set it up, and then uses that same exact server every time to connect, instead of using a search algorithm to find the fastest server in your region... as it does the first time you set up the auto-connect. If that particular server NordVPN selected on that initial setup gets busy or changes, the VPN will go into an endless loop ...connect-timeout-connect-timeout....killing any chance of IP traffic over Wi-Fi or mobile. Stupid, I know.... I will be letting NordVPN know.

Anyway, hope this is helpful information for others....

On iOS 15.4.1 you can check VPN status (and autoconnect config) @:

Settings>General>VPN, DNS, & Device Management>VPN>

Once there, you can check your configured VPN, including disabling the "connect on demand" function if necessary.

Finny
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2022, 11:08 PM   #680
finbarr.cnaipe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Convertible

Quote:

Having a difficult time groking why, (if the end-connectors are the same, and the old cable works fine), you would need to change the LVDS cable?

I have CCC version. In this case P2000 supplies the LVDS cable which goes from P2000 to the display. My E93's original LVDS cable connects to the head-unit on one side, and the P2000 on the other. (So P2000 sits in-between Headunit LVDS and Display LVDS, driving the display from the supplied P2000 LVDS cable.)

So it seems to me we are talking only about the Mr12Volt supplied LVDS cable, which goes from P2000 to the display...

Obviously, they couldn't have changed the connector on the display side...just possibly on the P2000 side, necessitating the need to replace that cable for the new version P2000.

Even so, (and if you've installed P2000 above the glove box), I suspect it would be fully possible to replace with the new LVDS cable by just pulling the display, cup holders, & glove box and then doing a little fishing...without the need to pull the head unit.

In any event, there is no way I want to deal with pulling the head unit and then trying to get that %&!*ing harness and Head Unit to fit back into the console again. I had a tough enough time the first go-around to last me forever....or until a CIC retrofit....

I'd be interested for anybody to confirm if the supplied new LVDS cable has a different connector on it for the P2000 side connection...

Finny.

Last edited by finbarr.cnaipe; 04-25-2022 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 12:20 AM   #681
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarr.cnaipe View Post
Having a difficult time groking why, (if the end-connectors are the same, and the old cable works fine), you would need to change the LVDS cable?

I have CCC version. In this case P2000 supplies the LVDS cable which goes from P2000 to the display. My E93's original LVDS cable connects to the head-unit on one side, and the P2000 on the other. (So P2000 sits in-between Headunit LVDS and Display LVDS, driving the display from the supplied P2000 LVDS cable.)

So it seems to me we are talking only about the Mr12Volt supplied LVDS cable, which goes from P2000 to the display...

Obviously, they couldn't have changed the connector on the display side...just possibly on the P2000 side, necessitating the need to replace that cable for the new version P2000.

Even so, (and if you've installed P2000 above the glove box), I suspect it would be fully possible to replace with the new LVDS cable by just pulling the display, cup holders, & glove box and then doing a little fishing...without the need to pull the head unit.

In any event, there is no way I want to deal with pulling the head unit and then trying to get that %&!*ing harness and Head Unit to fit back into the console again. I had a tough enough time the first go-around to last me forever....or until a CIC retrofit....

I'd be interested for anybody to confirm if the supplied new LVDS cable has a different connector on it for the P2000 side connection...

Finny.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing; why do they need to change it? They are obviously talking about the LVDS cable that comes with the kit.
They confirmed to me as well, that the LVDS cable has to be changed and the harnesses don't need to be changed. We'll see what's different about the LVDS cable next week when they arrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 04:25 AM   #682
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Time will tell on the LVDS cable!

I just got my $100 reimbursement this morning!
Appreciate 1
drwankel1043.00