BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

02-03-2022, 04:01 PM   #529
Sedicivalvole
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thumbs up

Sure - question asked I'll see what they come back with
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 04:14 PM   #530
johnnyorange
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 lci e91

latest versions of the software can be found on the mr12volt website here along with instructions therein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post
I was just about the flash the software to put the BMW icon on CarPlay, however I noted the warnings on installing later versions.

My version is below and I cannot find a way of confirming what the version on their site is, does anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 11:54 AM   #531
danbav
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 330i, 335i. Golf GTI mk1

Quote:
Hello all,

An update - I got round to having my unit installed last week.

It went in with no issues into an e92 M3, no coding required.

Coding was required to disable the BMW Voice Command so that the steering wheel button brings up Siri and the two systems don't fight.

We installed the microphone in the OEM location and moved the OEM Microphone over to the passenger side. We found the the included microphone to be very poor. So replaced it with a high quality one, soldered that in place and it works fantastically. Totally crisp and clear.

Changed the boot screen to BMW and I will be fixing the Mr12volt logo within CarPlay shortly and its full OEM install.

One area that is an issue though is the bass. As others have reported I can hear the missing bass. Its not a deal breaker but I would like it resolved. No amount of trickery gets round it bass it missing unfortunately. On some songs its noticeable less so on others.

To sum up - fantastic unit, so smooth and responsive. Definitely recommend and worth doing. However if you have good ears or high a quality setup, OEM HK / Logic 7 or Ind Audio you will notice.

Fingers crossed they get this sorted and organise a discount - I will then be upgrading to the new model

Thanks to all on this thread - the install information was very very helpful

Best
Hi, I also need to remove the voice coding to get Siri working. Can this be done with bimmercode?

Does anyone have instructions?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 01:12 PM   #532
djan9el
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbav View Post
Hi, I also need to remove the voice coding to get Siri working. Can this be done with bimmercode?

Does anyone have instructions?
FYI
Quote:
Originally Posted by djan9el View Post
Using Bimmercode:

Headunit -> Expert Mode -> 3000 HMI
Find SVS option and change it to nicht active
CODE -> START CODING

What is the BMW SVS module?

SVS stands for the voice recognition system. SVS is integrated into the CCC (CIC) unit located in the dashboard. It processes language input from voice commands.
SVS's main function is to control the various vehicle functions using voice commands.
BMW SVS can be used to control the following systems:

Entertainment
Communication
Navigation
Air conditioning Settings

https://www.youcanic.com/guide/bmw-s...cessing-system
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 01:27 PM   #533
Sedicivalvole
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyorange View Post
latest versions of the software can be found on the mr12volt website here along with instructions therein
I messaged Mr12Volt and they told me not to update as my software is later than the one listed on the site.

They said their will be a new release mid February on the site
Appreciate 2
      02-04-2022, 01:28 PM   #534
Sedicivalvole
Rep

drwankel

Unfortunately they do not have a specific model - just that it was an a high spec electronic microphone
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 06:15 PM   #535
danbav
Private
Rep

Quote:
I messaged Mr12Volt and they told me not to update as my software is later than the one listed on the site.

There is a mcu update file that you can apply. I updated mine when I installed last weekend. Dated

I will take a pic of my software version screen tomorrow and post. I Downloaded the mcu file for cic version here. I did not need to update the software just the mcu file.

https://www.mr12volt.com/pages/p2000-series-software-updates
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 06:26 PM   #536
danbav
Private
Rep

Quote:
FYI
Thanks for this, do you know if it is a simple process to re enable the standard voice control, should I change my mind?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 08:46 PM   #537
djan9el
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbav View Post
Thanks for this, do you know if it is a simple process to re enable the standard voice control, should I change my mind?
Follow the same procedures and change the SVS option from nicht active (not active) to active (active).
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 05:09 AM   #538
danbav
Private
Rep

Quote:

See the below software versions on my unit. I updated it last weekend.

Just the mcu file needs to be updated on yours.

Software: Box-P260 V3.9.6.1019
Hardware: 02-0010-06-00-00-00-00-00
System :
Mr12volt 2021-08-30
BlueTooth:BT825,V5.5.0
MCU:
bmwCIC 20220111
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 05:12 AM   #539
danbav
Private
Rep

Quote:
Follow the same procedures and change the SVS option from nicht active (not active) to active (active).
That’s great thanks. I have the enhanced voice option (nav control etc) I am assuming the process exactly the same and completely reversible?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 02:14 PM   #540
Sedicivalvole
Rep

Thanks danbav

it is the software file itself I am after - as I am going to change the home icon within CarPlay

I've skipped this firmware as it only does the CCC controller which doesn't apply to me
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 08:30 PM   #541
tennisman94
Rep
Drives: N/A

I'm unfortunately in the middle of a negative experience w/ the P2000. I received the P2000 light (ordered directly from mr12volt) for CCC last week and installed it over the weekend. Sunday night everything was working great, including the GreenYi backup camera recommended in this thread. This morning things took a dark turn - literally. The iDrive screen is now blank, however all audio still worked - including my phone connecting wirelessly to android auto. I then completely removed the P2000 and the screen is still blank (radio/sound works). From what I've read online the CCC LVDS board may have fried. I've messaged Mr. 12volt on whatsapp and will run INPA to check codes soon. Will update this thread as the situation progresses. Any suggestions/ debugging tips welcome.

UPDATE: reseated the LVDS cable and the stock CCC system works again. I believe either the LVDS out port or LVDS out cable from the P2000 is to blame. CID throws A468 only when the P2000 is connected. Got in touch w/ mr12volt, they are sending a replacement cable. Will update once I've received and tested it

Last edited by tennisman94; 02-07-2022 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 11:00 PM   #542
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Question after reading the last bit. If you discovered that the reseating the lvds cable got the stock system working again, did you ever go back and try reseating all the mr12volt connections?

I actually haven't checked my car for codes since installing the box, but I've read that most and canbus errors can be logged after a box like this is introduced into the system this way, but dont cause any harm. I should honestly go check and see what is there now.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 08:17 AM   #543
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisman94 View Post
I'm unfortunately in the middle of a negative experience w/ the P2000. I received the P2000 light (ordered directly from mr12volt) for CCC last week and installed it over the weekend. Sunday night everything was working great, including the GreenYi backup camera recommended in this thread. This morning things took a dark turn - literally. The iDrive screen is now blank, however all audio still worked - including my phone connecting wirelessly to android auto. I then completely removed the P2000 and the screen is still blank (radio/sound works). From what I've read online the CCC LVDS board may have fried. I've messaged Mr. 12volt on whatsapp and will run INPA to check codes soon. Will update this thread as the situation progresses. Any suggestions/ debugging tips welcome.

UPDATE: reseated the LVDS cable and the stock CCC system works again. I believe either the LVDS out port or LVDS out cable from the P2000 is to blame. CID throws A468 only when the P2000 is connected. Got in touch w/ mr12volt, they are sending a replacement cable. Will update once I've received and tested it
Not sure about the CCC, but the CIC has very little wiggle room inside the compartment for these units. So any possible pinching or squeezing of the cable could also potentially cause LVDS issues, or perhaps interference with other wiring in the dash.

Could be a faulty wire, but try to make sure the wires are neatly dressed and routed before reinstalling.
      02-08-2022, 02:57 PM   #544
tennisman94
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Question after reading the last bit. If you discovered that the reseating the lvds cable got the stock system working again, did you ever go back and try reseating all the mr12volt connections?

I actually haven't checked my car for codes since installing the box, but I've read that most and canbus errors can be logged after a box like this is introduced into the system this way, but dont cause any harm. I should honestly go check and see what is there now.

I did try the p2000 again after I got the CCC working, the most life I saw was the screen lighting up for like 200 msec after removing and reinserting the key. Did not get to do the reset on the p2000 (hold idrive knob down for 8sec) but will try that with the new cable.

Quote:
Not sure about the CCC, but the CIC has very little wiggle room inside the compartment for these units. So any possible pinching or squeezing of the cable could also potentially cause LVDS issues, or perhaps interference with other wiring in the dash.

Could be a faulty wire, but try to make sure the wires are neatly dressed and routed before reinstalling.
I'm going to be extra careful the next time, I noticed a frayed/exposed wire as part of the LVDS out bundle so I think that might be the issue. They said the cable will likely ship from HK so it'll be a couple weeks before I can try again.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 01:19 PM   #545
ruimrb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 320ed Auto

Guys
Is the LVDS cable and connector 4 pin or 6 pin (4+2) on these boxes?
The F30 CIC High uses the 4+2 for the screen but I would prefer this box if it would work given the most interface instead of aux.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:01 AM   #546
6spdvert
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post

That's the challenging part.. I had to stop my install last night due to frustration setting in and that never leads to anything positive..

the box I was able to hide between the cage and dash, but the large connector is preventing the radio from fully seating.

Where are you guys routing your big boy connector?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:07 AM   #547
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post

Agree with this, this is why for my install I placed it above the glovebox to keep behind the CIC clear.

CCC seems to have more issues if a quadlock adapter plug is used. There is usually not enough room for all the extra wires. Need to get creative and move the wires to the side as you reinstall the CCC HU.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:17 AM   #548
6spdvert
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Agree with this, this is why for my install I placed it above the glovebox to keep behind the CIC clear.

CCC seems to have more issues if a quadlock adapter plug is used. There is usually not enough room for all the extra wires. Need to get creative and move the wires to the side as you reinstall the CCC HU.
exactly.. the thing that I find interested is in the MR12volt CCC install video, the installer has NO issues running the wiring and reinstalling the CCC unit.. I must've watched that video 20 times to try and following hand placement.. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 11:26 PM   #549
BayAreaBMWFan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 328 2013

Folks:
I am going to retrofit a Carplay unit for my son's car, a 2013 E93 328 (CIC). We are an Apple Family and I also want to add the rear camera to it.

I am doing my research on the units and just came across mr12volt.
Thank you for all the details you have here.

One question I have is that the difference between the $220-$250 units on AliExpress (CarSara, RoadTop) and the mr12volt ($380)

From what I have understood so far, mr12volt interface (MOST) uses digital signals and is likely to have better sound quality. However, it somehow is lacking bass. I am confused about that since if it is an all digital path with no D2A conversion, the sound quality should not be impacted. Is there something I am missing?

Also there is some talk of not being able to use the OEM mic and the included mic not being very good. Do the other non-MOST systems work with the OEM mic?

Any other advice or thought?

This thread on f30post has a lot of info but does not cover mr12volt.

And any group buy discount for mr12volt (their distributer price is around Euro 200

Last edited by BayAreaBMWFan; 02-12-2022 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 07:58 PM   #550
finbarr.cnaipe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Convertible

Hi Folks,

I am the original owner of a CCC 2008 328i E93. Just 39K mi, and honestly, it is garage kept and still looks and smells brand new.

I just wanted to thank everybody who contributed to this thread. I've upgraded from my iPod Connection kit/Tune2Air to Mr12Volt, and am very happy. I was looking for this kind of solution (MOST/No AUX; input method like Tune2Air) for a couple of years. Was VERY happy to find out about Mr12Volt, and it was VASTLY less expensive that doing an Nbt/Evo Refit (quoted to me @~$6K!)

I spent spare time doing the install, and most of the "Fun" was taking apart my dash and learning how everything goes together in my BMW. Took me a week to do everything and get the car back together, with A1 fit and finish...but I did it!

My observations:
- It is working great, and I did not have to do any coding.

- I got the newer version P2000, and did have to experiment with the dip switches to get my CCC controller wheel to work. With all dip switches off, I only had up/down/left/right and push/enter. I can't remember if it was DIP 1 or 2, but I had to enable one of those to get the rotary motion recognized.

- No coding required so far. (But I'm going to be adding in to disable SVS with Bimmer Code, once my ODBII adapter comes this week)

- My Car is L7 audio, and I can't say I notice a difference between Tune2Air and Mr12volt audio and bass...but I need to do more listening.

- Getting the head unit back in took about 4x tries with cabling rerouting. I ended up having to put the quadlock all the way back and to the right of the cage. Finally got it.

- LVDS cable from screen is way sucky short, and there was absolutely NO WAY it was going to work routing it like the guy does in the mr12volt CCC install video. I ended up having to move it to the right of the cage, and up on top (to the left of driver's cup holder). Then I was able to sort of wedge the Mr12volt between the right side of the cage and driver's cup holder.

- Due to the above, it is going to be royal pain to update the Firmware via the SD card. Even an extender wouldn't help, as you have to remove the power connection for the upgrade process. So tearing apart the dash again is going to be the only way to get to the unit to upgrade. (I actually looked to see if I could source a 10pin CCC LVDS extension cable, but could not find one online.) In the meantime, I was able to route the USB cable to the glove box appropriately...so SW updates should not be a prob... If I can find the 10pin LVDS extension cable, I will probably move Mr12Volt into the glove box eventually...provided I can get the cables thru the hole...lol...

- CCC version mr12volt CarPlay resolution/display is completely acceptable. Would i like to have a better screen? Sure. But other than the theoretical solution presented earlier in this thread, I don't see any way to do it without CIC refit or introducing another MMI into the mix. If there was a MOST solution CarPlay MMI w/new screen for CCC, I believe folks would buy that...until then, mr12volt CCC is the best solution and value.

Anyway, thanks again. You guys don't know how much I appreciated this thread when doing my upgrade. You guys are the best!

Finny.
Appreciate 3