BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

12-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #375
chaoqi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 BMW M3

Can someone please explain the pros and cons of using something like this over say an AVIN replacement unit?

Is it purely a price thing? Does the AVIN units have better resolution because of the replacement screen or something?

As far as I can tell, the functionalities are the same with both providing wireless CarPlay, just that AVIN is a full screen replacement whereas the Mr12Volt is a piggyback system. Would that be correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 11:11 PM   #376
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

The AVIN unit uses AUX in to deliver audio to the CIC/CCC system which still managing audio for the car. This is an analog signal, and as such has multiple pieces in the way that can alter the signal. Multiple Digital to analog converters, an analog to digital converter, analog audio over a wire, 3.5mm audio plugs all are examples of many wildly variable components.

There is a benefit here of this just being a screen replacement, and not having to hide a box somewhere in the dash. Also adding touch is an additional benefit to the screen route.

The mr12volt transmits its audio over MOST, which is the fiber optic audio system in the car. It impersonates a CD changer to deliver it's audio to the CIC/CCC system. The advantage here, is the signal over MOST is digital, and as such it should be able to deliver audio as cleanly as a factory CD changer hooked up to the car. Meaning a clean pure untampered digital audio stream. There's a single Digital to Audio converter in the mix, and that's the CIC or CCC unit itself.

It has a box you have to hide, but it has a side benefit for installation, as you dont have to deal with a quadlock adapter to shove behind the CIC or CCC like with AVIN which are commented on as being notoriously bulky and difficult to manage. The only thing you have to hide behind the CIC or CCC with the mr12volt system is the MOST adapter, which is 4 fiber optic lines.

They both offer carplay and android auto and allow you to use the idrive controller. Mr12volt integrates better into the CIC/CCC system, as its a uniquely selectable device.

My personal 2 cents is, if the car has CIC, the factory CIC screen is good enough for carplay. Adding touch in this car doesn't make alot of sense. The screen position and surrounding plastic was not designed with touch in mind. Mr12volt is the clear winner here due to the audio.

If I had CCC- the problem weighs a bit differently. The factory CCC screen is just too low of a resolution to use carplay or android auto reasonably. The screen replacement of something like AVIN is a major benefit here. The better fix IMHO would be to retrofit CIC and add mr12volt to that.

Last edited by drwankel; 12-01-2021 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 11:12 PM   #377
fdrxseven
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335, F02 740LI

Adding a device to your original bmw system that gives your desire function is always better than replacing the original parts IMO. The P2000 lights car interface uses the LVDS input and so it would not be too bad in terms of resolution and clarity. And you do not lose the original audio quality as it uses M.O.S.T as audio source rather than Aux input on after replacing the system.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #378
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (E90)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoqi View Post
Can someone please explain the pros and cons of using something like this over say an AVIN replacement unit?

Is it purely a price thing? Does the AVIN units have better resolution because of the replacement screen or something?

As far as I can tell, the functionalities are the same with both providing wireless CarPlay, just that AVIN is a full screen replacement whereas the Mr12Volt is a piggyback system. Would that be correct?

Personally, I find the Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto on the Mr12Volt box quick and easy, whereas when I installed an AVIN unit in a friend's car, I had to go back and forth with the service rep so a technician from Hong Kong can "activate" the wireless CarPlay app on the AVIN unit. The benefit with an AVIN unit is that it's a full-fledged android system that can be modified, flashed with different ROM, install apps like MHD, contains cellular data support via SIM card, etc.

Cons with the AVIN unit is that it utilizes AUX which decreases audio quality in all regards, along with the sketchy CarPlay app situation that I encountered. I believe the screen is also the same size if you are replacing the stock iDrive screen in E-series cars (someone correct me if I'm wrong). These android head units are all Chinese dropshipped, you can get the exact same thing on Amazon or even Aliexpress if you do some research. The only reason I'd recommend AVIN is for their reliable customer support.

Mr12Volt box utilizes MOST instead of AUX, keeping the audio digital throughout the MOST bus and excellent for users with an upgraded sound system from factories like Logic7 and Individual audio. It supports Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto/Bluetooth/Screen Mirroring. If this is all you need (which for a lot of people including myself, it is) then this is the perfect addition to the stock iDrive setup and completely modernizes it. The install is plug-n-play and looks OEM since it retains all the iDrive parts.

I hope this helped in your decision making, if you want Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto with better sound quality, go with Mr12Volt. If you need a full-fledged android system and screen replacement at the cost of some sound quality, go with AVIN or other suppliers.

There's also a great video I found detailing the comparison but on the F22 chassis. It's not the Mr12Volt box but the functionality is similar.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #379
chaoqi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 BMW M3

Thank you drwankel, fdrxseven, and mike5124 for your detailed explanations.

Looks like I will be going with the Mr12Volt -- I did not realize the AVIN units still used AUX input.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #380
netcsk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 325, e30 325, e46 m3, 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
It has a box you have to hide, but it has a side benefit for installation, as you dont have to deal with a quadlock adapter to shove behind the CIC or CCC like with AVIN which are commented on as being notoriously bulky and difficult to manage. The only thing you have to hide behind the CIC or CCC with the mr12volt system is the MOST adapter, which is 4 fiber optic lines.
Just to not misinform, the CCC retrofit requires integration with a quadlock adapter. That said, I had no issues fitting with the adapter (yes it would absolutely be easier without) and the resolution is more than adequate for function (not like I'm watching movies).

One thing I haven't heard people mention is that the aftermarket screens tend to have issues with glare and brightness.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #381
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
[QUOTE=netcsk;28319897]Just to not misinform, the CCC retrofit requires integration with a quadlock adapter. That said, I had no issues fitting with the adapter (yes it would absolutely be easier without) and the resolution is more than adequate for function (not like I'm watching movies).

One thing I haven't heard people mention is that the aftermarket screens tend to have issues with glare and brightness.[/QUOTE

Glare is absolutely an issue with the aftermarket screens. It can be resolved by purchasing a screen protector from AVIN.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #382
mr.e90
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Will the Mr12volt device work with hifi audio? Im bypassing my stock amplifier in the next month and notice that i don’t have the MOST cables in the harness that plugs into amplifier. I realized i have hifi option 677, i believe. In that case, how will this work for the mr12volt device to get signal for audio?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 02:53 PM   #383
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.e90 View Post
Will the Mr12volt device work with hifi audio? Im bypassing my stock amplifier in the next month and notice that i don't have the MOST cables in the harness that plugs into amplifier. I realized i have hifi option 677, i believe. In that case, how will this work for the mr12volt device to get signal for audio?
It will work, the box is sending audio signal to the head unit, where the head unit processes it and send it's to the hifi amplifier via regular cables as it normally does. You should expect higher quality as it's one less conversion as oppose to AUX
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #384
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Speaking of the Mr12Volt, I just received and installed the CIC P2000 light box but alas, I don't think I can use it because I still have my CCC controller. Holding the menu button doesn't do anything as oppose to my old CarPlay box, but everything looks connected properly since the CIC iDrive responds to the controller and audio works.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 06:58 PM   #385
Sedicivalvole
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thank you drwankel and your information on the issue. Sounds like it does need fixing then, but it also sounds like they are listening. Any update on the fix?

Looks like the new light versions are arriving! mike5124 when did you order yours? I’m getting excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
I don't suspect that new update is going to fix the issue.

I received communication from them last night, and it sounds like the specific software/driver that needs to be corrected is not written by them- and they are coordinating with that party on a fix. After they receive the fix, they need to test the fix in all of their various configurations (different BMW models) to ensure the fix hasn't caused degradation somewhere else which will take time.

In short, they are aware and have confirmed the problem, it is a priority, but the process of rolling this out to production will take time to do it safely.

I've volunteered to beta test the fix, and they were receptive to that idea.

So we'll have something eventually, but not imminently.

Last edited by Sedicivalvole; 12-05-2021 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #386
Tastyguac
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5124 View Post
Speaking of the Mr12Volt, I just received and installed the CIC P2000 light box but alas, I don't think I can use it because I still have my CCC controller. Holding the menu button doesn't do anything as oppose to my old CarPlay box, but everything looks connected properly since the CIC iDrive responds to the controller and audio works.
I wish they listed this on their website. I received my P2000 light yesterday, installed it in my CIC-swapped 2007 E91, and couldn't control it with the CCC controller either. I found a local wrecker with a CIC controller and dash trim though, and it seems to work well. I will have an extra CIC controller and wood console trim soon as well if anyone here wants to buy it.

Separate topic. I'm getting some occasional flicker in the screen. Anyone else seen this or have a fix? I'm wondering if this is a Light version only issue.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2021, 11:37 AM   #387
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post
Looks like the new light versions are arriving! mike5124 when did you order yours? I'm getting excited!
I preordered it on Oct 25th and it shipped on December 1st
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 07:58 AM   #388
AxisF80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Received mine over ther weekend and installed it right away. Installation was pretty straightforward and the CarPlay works really well.

I have one glaring issue. When connected to it, I have horrible GPS reception. I'm a regular waze user (like most of us) but when connected to Mr12volt, Waze/Google Maps are barely functional. They just stop following movement or jump to the wrong street and are constantly recalculating. I located the unit in the area above the glovebox like the installation video recommended.

Going to reach out to Mr12volt but wanted to see if anyone else has this problem or knows a fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #389
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisF80 View Post
Received mine over ther weekend and installed it right away. Installation was pretty straightforward and the CarPlay works really well.

I have one glaring issue. When connected to it, I have horrible GPS reception. I'm a regular waze user (like most of us) but when connected to Mr12volt, Waze/Google Maps are barely functional. They just stop following movement or jump to the wrong street and are constantly recalculating. I located the unit in the area above the glovebox like the installation video recommended.

Going to reach out to Mr12volt but wanted to see if anyone else has this problem or knows a fix.
GPS comes from your phone. Its best to have it in a stable position with a view of the sky.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 09:04 AM   #390
AxisF80
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
GPS comes from your phone. Its best to have it in a stable position with a view of the sky.
I've been reading up on Carplay and it seems that it may rely on the GPS sensor of the car or in this case, Mr12Volt. Honestly, it's unclear to me.

Regardless, my phone is in the same Rennline phone mount that it was I was using prior to install and my Waze worked perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #391
Daro80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastyguac View Post
I wish they listed this on their website. I received my P2000 light yesterday, installed it in my CIC-swapped 2007 E91, and couldn't control it with the CCC controller either. I found a local wrecker with a CIC controller and dash trim though, and it seems to work well. I will have an extra CIC controller and wood console trim soon as well if anyone here wants to buy it.

Separate topic. I'm getting some occasional flicker in the screen. Anyone else seen this or have a fix? I'm wondering if this is a Light version only issue.
Hey there. I've experienced this same flickering issue you mention. It only happened a couple of times, and only when displaying the CIC menu, not while using the Mr12Volt menu/functionality. It's been a while since the last time I saw this effect, but I don't go back to the CIC menu that often either so... I double checked all the connections before putting everything back together and tucking the unit between the headunit and the glove box, just like in the installation video, so it must be something with the unit itself, not the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #392
Daro80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisF80 View Post
I've been reading up on Carplay and it seems that it may rely on the GPS sensor of the car or in this case, Mr12Volt. Honestly, it's unclear to me.

Regardless, my phone is in the same Rennline phone mount that it was I was using prior to install and my Waze worked perfectly.
I've had this same issue. I decided to install both antennas, GPS and Bluetooth, on top of the AC controls and noticed the GPS is a bit unresponsive if the phone is sitting on the center console tray (a.k.a. oddments tray). Putting the phone inside the center arm storage made this issue go away, so it seems to me that the GPS signal is indeed coming from the phone (or phone and Mr12Volt unit were getting into some sort of collision).
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 11:08 AM   #393
AxisF80
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daro80 View Post
I've had this same issue. I decided to install both antennas, GPS and Bluetooth, on top of the AC controls and noticed the GPS is a bit unresponsive if the phone is sitting on the center console tray (a.k.a. oddments tray). Putting the phone inside the center arm storage made this issue go away, so it seems to me that the GPS signal is indeed coming from the phone (or phone and Mr12Volt unit were getting into some sort of collision).
I just came back from a quick drive and messed around with phone placement, I agree you and tdott that it seems to be using the phone as it worked much better when I left it on the dash as a test and the oddments tray as well. What's weird is that I've been using the Rennline mount (which uses the screws that hold the CIC in place) for quite a while and I had perfect GPS reception. The phone is physically in the same place but after Mr12Volt installation, it gets garbage GPS reception there. Weird.

I just ordered the Induktiv tray, so hopefully it works better there.

I have a P2000 Light, so not option to mount the antennas elsewhere without moving the box.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 01:18 PM   #394
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daro80 View Post
Just to clarify- those antennas are WIFI and bluetooth, not GPS and bluetooth.

GPS signal comes from the phone as far as I am aware.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 01:24 PM   #395
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
GPS is from phone in CarPlay, had an old iPhone 8 with GPS issues, they went away when I upgraded to iPhone 12.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #396
Sedicivalvole
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5124 View Post
I preordered it on Oct 25th and it shipped on December 1st
Lovely! I ordered mine on the 15th Nov so shouldn’t be far behind you.

I messaged Mr12Volt and was told this regarding audio

Quote:
The sound processor is preset in this way and most likely not able to adjust by software on our end unless wechange thehardware id say…

It still deliver crystal clear crispy sound compare to the AUX CarPlay though
Just that it doesnt deliver very strong bass
So it doesn’t seem that an audio fix is coming 😟
Appreciate 0