BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

03-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 sedan

has this happened to anyone....

driving slowly in city - music playing - suddenly a high pitched ear-drilling buzzing noise....I was not sure if someone honked behind me but ears about to explode...quickly realized next this is coming from WITHIN the car......hit the on/off button for the music as it appeared to be coming from speakers but no response - sound remained loud- looked at instrument cluster but everything normal - suddenly I Drive goes black and then reboots supposedly as "BMW" comes up on the screen - the sound disappears....it boots back up and everything in normal. No impact on driveability or any error messages on screen.

good thing i am not a heart patient or have someone in my car who was a patient - as this was like a random 15 second episode with a sudden shocking high pitched buzzing noise that was in high decibles......will see if i have any fault codes at the 1200 mile service.....it is the 2009 I Drive and I was listening to some songs I had uploaded on the car's hard drive..so perhaps the hard drive crashed...?...oh and sometimes the songs on the hard drive skip at times so not sure if I have faulty I drive to being with....?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
JPH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

I don't have idrive but have not heard of this happening with others. I did have an old lady back into and crinkle my front bumper today though (true story)...then I heard a loud shreak in my own head but...that was just my own rage.

I hope you can figure this out and/or does not happen again.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Kadarin
Ambassador of Crunk
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/blk '08 E92 M3

I seem to remember seeing on this forum somewhere a couple of anecdotes similar to what you are describing. Has not happened to me as yet, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

sounds like a deffective audio card. You should try to play the same song again see if the audio codec goes bezerk again.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

I think the previous op's all had enhanced audio. Do you have EA?
      03-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
AW_M3
///M
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/FR Extended

Car's Hard Drive? do 08 have this as well ?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

this specifiically has not happened to me, but a different malfuction occured. I have the base audio system, no I drive. One day when I started my car, no sound came out of the speakers. The head unit was on, but no sound. like the amplifier died or something. I tried shutting off the car several times to no avail. Then I drove to work and parked it. 8 hours later when i started the car, the music came on like normal. This happened about 2 weeks ago, so keeping an eye on it to see if it recurs.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
drsnooz
Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 M5

I also remember someone mentioning something similar to what you are describing a while back on this forum. Try to do a search with random words and see what you find. I have a 09 as well and this hasn't happened to me.

Edit: Found some posts that might help:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=noise

Last edited by drsnooz; 03-08-2009 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

My theory: basically audio flings around from HDD transport to digital audio amp using some digital bitstream, maybe optical or electrical who knows, but whenever there is an error in the compressed bitstream, the receiving end just blows up with random noise until it syncs again with some later correct frame. Errors can happen from EMI (electrical magnetic interference) from other car engine parts, your cellphone, who knows....

SHould happen very rarely. SOlutions could be finding out what is allowing noise to corrupt the digital connection... could be a bad ground for example...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
I think the previous op's all had enhanced audio. Do you have EA?
No I have base system....will try listening to same song if it skips to see if HD issue or poor recording but I am quite sure it is the HD as the skipping is not frequent and across different songs....I have been uploading songs via the USB connect in the glove compartment (using flash drive/memory stick)...I can add/delete songs off the new I drive so user-friendly/ 15 GB storage.... but the reboot was a first...especially with the in-car loud buzzing 'siren'..!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndoe View Post
No I have base system....will try listening to same song if it skips to see if HD issue or poor recording but I am quite sure it is the HD as the skipping is not frequent and across different songs....I have been uploading songs via the USB connect in the glove compartment (using flash drive/memory stick)...I can add/delete songs off the new I drive so user-friendly/ 15 GB storage.... but the reboot was a first...especially with the in-car loud buzzing 'siren'..!!
poor recording is not the reason I suggested you retry the same track. Rather the problem might be with an unstable Delta-Sigma audio DAC design.
if it gets unstable for some audio input bit stream it can ocillate at high frequency and make the high pitched full scale sound you heard. If that's the case then it's poor design and bad news for everyone without the EA system.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Just want to add to this thread in case this becomes a problem.
A variation of that happened to me, and I have an '08 (6/08 build date) with EA. While changing from SAT to CD, and while lowering the volume on the steering wheel at the same time, I got this piercingly loud noise from the front tweeters (daughter jumped out of the seat, hitting her head) but only for a second. No iDrive reset here; everything back to normal after that. Tried to duplicate it (without lowering the volume at the same time) and no luck. Hope it was a fluke, but something is not entirely right. With all the interfaces on this overly complex car, I doubt we'll find the culprit, but I still have almost 4 years for that to happen . Good day.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
g10zz
JiggaManJZ89
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Lime Rock

I had a problem where the system made a pop sound after 2-3 hrs into the ride. It was rather loud. Sounded like a big rock had hit my windshield. Then BMW reprogramed the whole system which takes about 5-6 hrs. After than i haven't had a problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #14
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I had the exact same issue with idrive reset while I was listening to some MP3s just last weekend. That sound was crazy loud and lasted for a few seconds before the idrive reset. The car kept running fine.

This is the first and only time this happened to me and I was listening to a DVD I had just made full of MP3s.

Went back to the same song it was playing at the time but I couldn't reproduce it.

I do have enhanced sound.
Appreciate 0