BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-04-2010, 01:48 AM   #23
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtud View Post
the dvd spinning is a completely different sound (and very annoying as well, but something i can deal with since it's not constant nor as loud nor as high pitched).

put your ear up to the tweeter when the car is off (right after you unlock your door, or just after your turn your car off). you should be able to hear it quite clearly. this is a bit bothersome that there are several people with this same issue.
I just went to my car and put my ear next to the tweeter right after I unlocked the door. I heard the beep. Very high pitched and very annoying.

I just thought it might be the DVD since I kept hearing the noise, but never took the time to figure out where it's actually coming from.
      02-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #24
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

does everyone who has the buzzing and high pitch noise have the enhanced premium sound upgrade? i am thinking the noise is originating from the amplifier (otherwise i would hear the same sound in all the 335s i've driven)

if this is the case, it would be quite hilarious that bmw is charging $1900 for an optional frequency to be played with our car. not to mention the system sounds worse than the logic 7.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #25
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
does everyone who has the buzzing and high pitch noise have the enhanced premium sound upgrade? i am thinking the noise is originating from the amplifier (otherwise i would hear the same sound in all the 335s i've driven)

if this is the case, it would be quite hilarious that bmw is charging $1900 for an optional frequency to be played with our car. not to mention the system sounds worse than the logic 7.
I own both systems and have been in both vehicles a fair bit, and I completely disagree

The Individual Audio System is a 850 Watts system, with DIRAC live technology in its speakers!
You have to get the settings right in order to hear it properly
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 02:19 AM   #26
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

I have iDrive but I don't have the EP audio and I don't have the noise.

Last edited by quality_sound; 02-05-2010 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #27
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

i have played with the settings. the problem is the speakers sound like they're underwater at low volumes....... or as if they're being muffled by someone trying to suffocate them. when you punch up the volume, they wake up, but at low volumes it sounds worse than my honda cr-v from a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #28
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

I have the noise but really only hear it after I rev the car up and it's winding down. I have Nav and i-drive but no EP audio. It is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #29
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

i think that's a different noise then. you should be able to hear it quite clearly when the car is off and holding your ear to the tweeter. the noise doesn't seem to get louder or softer whether the car is on or off or revving.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #30
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

anybody have any luck resolving this?

i took my car to a different dealer, and they have again told me that it is "normal", which it clearly is not. infuriating - not only that, but they are charging me for the time to diagnose the problem. the annoying part is that they ordered a replacement amplifier, and are unwilling to install it now that they've been told by BMW that it is a "normal" noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #31
jeffz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
anybody have any luck resolving this?

i took my car to a different dealer, and they have again told me that it is "normal", which it clearly is not. infuriating - not only that, but they are charging me for the time to diagnose the problem. the annoying part is that they ordered a replacement amplifier, and are unwilling to install it now that they've been told by BMW that it is a "normal" noise.
I'm new to the forum, I registered so I could post a reply. I have the same issue in my 08 E90 M3. I have had the car for over a year with no problems. The issue did not exist until last week.

The History:

I took the car in due to a check engine light (the check engine was related to a bad emissions sensor.) and when I picked it up the next day they address the issue with the check engine but the service advisor told me they also updated my software. Now with the new software I have the same f'n noise you folks are referring to. The high pitch sound exists from the time i open the car door and constant while driving. I have called my service advisor and logged a compaliant and told them I want the software updated rolled back to the old version as I had no "Software" related issues. They told me to bring it in next week and they'll go through it. I'm am extremely pissed off and highly suggest that anyone taking their car in for service explicitly state you do not want them updating your software. BMW needs to resolve this right away.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #32
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

that's really interesting. i told them that it could have been the software update as well and asked them to roll it back. they said they could not.

do you have the enhanced premium sound (EPS) option? i have a feeling it could be the new software not liking the EPS amplifier. the next dealer was just about to swap the amplifier and see if that fixed it and then all of a sudden tells me that it is considered "normal" and blamed it on my angel eye bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #33
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
i have played with the settings. the problem is the speakers sound like they're underwater at low volumes....... or as if they're being muffled by someone trying to suffocate them. when you punch up the volume, they wake up, but at low volumes it sounds worse than my honda cr-v from a few years ago.
I agree. Low volumes, the bass overcomes the treble. At mid to high volumes it sounds beautiful. When you completely blast it, that's when you can hear the subs are underpowered or just don't produce a low enough frequency.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #34
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffz View Post
I'm new to the forum, I registered so I could post a reply. I have the same issue in my 08 E90 M3. I have had the car for over a year with no problems. The issue did not exist until last week.

The History:

I took the car in due to a check engine light (the check engine was related to a bad emissions sensor.) and when I picked it up the next day they address the issue with the check engine but the service advisor told me they also updated my software. Now with the new software I have the same f'n noise you folks are referring to. The high pitch sound exists from the time i open the car door and constant while driving. I have called my service advisor and logged a compaliant and told them I want the software updated rolled back to the old version as I had no "Software" related issues. They told me to bring it in next week and they'll go through it. I'm am extremely pissed off and highly suggest that anyone taking their car in for service explicitly state you do not want them updating your software. BMW needs to resolve this right away.
Do you have a 6MT or DCT? I'm going to need to take my car in for an oil change soon. I thought they don't really do software updates on 6MT?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #35
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

I have a 6MT and they updated the software when I had them install the OEM alarm.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #36
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don't know why I didn't do this earlier.

Watch the video and you can clearly hear the noise when the car isn't even on. Of course it's also on when the car is on..... and it never stops............ hilarious that two BMW dealerships say this is normal for M3s.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27727967@N02/4391109528/
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #37
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

it seems that many will not be able to hear it. you will need to jack up the volume.. as i mentioned, it is similar to a 16khz frequency, so if your ears cannot hear that, you probably won't hear this noise either.

i would download one of the many dog whistle apps on the iphone/droid and see where your hearing limit is.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #38
jeffz
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Do you have a 6MT or DCT? I'm going to need to take my car in for an oil change soon. I thought they don't really do software updates on 6MT?
6MT with enhanced audio.. and yes they do updates on MT's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #39
jeffz
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I don't know why I didn't do this earlier.

Watch the video and you can clearly hear the noise when the car isn't even on. Of course it's also on when the car is on..... and it never stops............ hilarious that two BMW dealerships say this is normal for M3s.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27727967@N02/4391109528/
dead on.. exactly the same issue!

I'm taking my car in Tuesday. I'll post back my results.... Oh and my Check Engine Soon Light came on again on my way home from work today so it had to go back any way.... hopefully this time it comes back in better shape than when it is left.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #40
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

i am now fairly certain rolling back the software will fix this problem. let me know how it goes jeffz as i plan on telling the dealer to do the same if it works out for you.

Last edited by SCtud; 03-01-2010 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #41
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

its called suppression, it is an interference through the audio system, that increases as revs increase.

Take it to a professional audio shop, its usually a ground/earthing issue on something that causes it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #42
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
its called suppression, it is an interference through the audio system, that increases as revs increase.

Take it to a professional audio shop, its usually a ground/earthing issue on something that causes it.
not sure if you were referring to my problem, but you'll note in the video that the sound is there when the car engine is not even on, let alone revving.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #43
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep

bump!
i'm amazed no one else is having this issue if it is related to the software update on enhanced premium sound systems!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #44
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Whew, and I thought the ground loop issue was only something I had to worry about when I was flying vintage, tail-dragger airplanes. When I saw this, I had to click to see how people were ground looping their M3s.