BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-27-2019, 12:29 AM   #23
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

I may be wrong, but I think I saw in some thread here that some people say copper spark plugs are less durable but more powerful, and could be good to the S65 engine.

Does somebody know if that's true?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:56 AM   #24
commedeschatons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335d, '03 Jetta Wagon

theres another thread about the Ruthenium plugs listed as compatible on NGKs website, but the OP tried them and led to misfires, only the iridium plugs work.

only use NGK LKR8AP. No need to pay for BMW, NGKs are exactly same work perfect for me.
Appreciate 3
      11-23-2022, 02:07 PM   #25
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by debom3 View Post
When people say OEM for an item like this I never really understand.

BMW does not manufacture spark plugs. BMW manufactures some parts, but not everything on a vehicle. They outsource certain parts to other specialty vendors like Spark Plugs, Tires, Rims, Radiators, etc.

This is a different scenario than saying "I want an OEM bumper vs an aftermarket bumper." There is a definite superior part in quality and function in this example.

In this case, the spark plugs linked are the EXACT same as the ones that BMW sells. They are BOTH OEM plugs. One is just much more expensive because of BWM markup.
Some info on OE vs OEM (from Turner):

What is the Difference Between OE and OEM?
OE (Original Equipment or Genuine BMW)
These are the parts that you get EXACTLY as if you are walking up to an authorized dealership and buying a part at the parts counter. (Example: Oxygen Sensor, BMW Part # 11 78 1 735 499). These parts usually come in BMW marked packaging.

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
OEM parts are parts that come from the same factory that makes your Original BMW parts, but they are boxed in their respective brands. BMW makes very few components themselves. Nearly the entire car consists of components and sub-assemblies sourced from various manufacturers or Tier-1 suppliers. (Example: Oxygen Sensor, Bosch Part #13231, which cross references to: BMW Part # 11 78 1 735 499). These parts are sold directly from the manufacturer to distributors, suppliers, or retailers and not through the BMW Dealer network. This usually means savings for the end consumer while still having the same OE standards that the vehicle manufacturer specified. They are identical - a lot of times you can find where the OEM part had the BMW logo removed! In order to be labeled as an OEM part, it must meet the exact same design as the original part, regardless of where in the world it was manufactured. Any deviation from the original BMW spec is not considered OEM. In addition, in Germany for a part to be labeled "OEM" it must achieve German TUV certification.

Some OEMs may choose to produce a performance version of the original design. Technically speaking, these are no longer OEM parts but since they are coming from the original supplier you can be sure the quality is excellent and on par with the original. We generally refer to these as 'Performance Alternatives'.

Aftermarket
Aftermarket parts are produced by manufacturers that have no connection with OE. These are generally copied from OE parts but produced and sold for less cost than an OE/OEM. They are not necessarily inferior, unsafe, or poorly made. But since they have not achieved OEM or TUV status their quality is not guaranteed. In some cases, we have found an aftermarket part to be superior than OEM but it is rare. Turner Motorsport will not sell a product we are not completely satisfied using ourselves or one with high return rates or that receives too many customer complaints. Our experience is from 20+ years in the BMW business with mail order, in-house auto repair and service, and real racetrack experience influencing what we sell. In many cases we have learned to use only OE or OEM parts in many applications as the quality of the aftermarket part just doesn't live up to BMW or Turner standards.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after low pricing is forgotten," - Leon Cautillo, author.

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 08:29 PM   #26
M3JayM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 (e92)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Just ordered the NGK 4471 LKR8AP off Amazon to be installed next week. Car has 50k miles on it and I don’t see spark plug replacement anywhere on the Carfax report.
Appreciate 1
jvictormp881.00
      12-09-2022, 06:46 PM   #27
M3JayM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 (e92)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Scheduled the replacement for first thing Tuesday morning
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      07-30-2023, 10:22 PM   #28
bimmergixxer
Railside Performance
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 R8 V10 Q5

Garage List
Just ordered on amazon.com also for only 78 bucks shipped (plus tax) for 8 LkR8AP. Car runs perfect at the moment but it has been about 80000 km since last changed so overdue.
Ducati Monster 796 / Ducati Bronco 1964
Railside Performance
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 10:38 PM   #29
Donut Lord
Do Donuts
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW E92 M3

OEMs are just NGK with BMW print somewhere on them. Save $10? per spark plug and just get the NGK version
      09-09-2023, 02:50 PM   #30
gavinsan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

How many miles are you guys doing between plug change ?

My cars plugs were changed in 2015 at 17k and now the car is on 28k and thinking time frame wise it is time to change them even though only covered 11k

Thoughts ??
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 05:42 PM   #31
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinsan View Post

My cars plugs were changed in 2015 at 17k and now the car is on 28k and thinking time frame wise it is time to change them even though only covered 11k

Thoughts ??
I think you're over killing it.

I've seen people here in the board saying that would change them with 30k miles even though it's too soon, just because they want to see if changes something. How soon would be 11k?

By the way, they said they felt a difference, so it's up to you.
Appreciate 1
gavinsan150.50
      09-16-2023, 07:42 PM   #32
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Some info on OE vs OEM (from Turner):

What is the Difference Between OE and OEM?
OE (Original Equipment or Genuine BMW)
These are the parts that you get EXACTLY as if you are walking up to an authorized dealership and buying a part at the parts counter. (Example: Oxygen Sensor, BMW Part # 11 78 1 735 499). These parts usually come in BMW marked packaging.

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
OEM parts are parts that come from the same factory that makes your Original BMW parts, but they are boxed in their respective brands. BMW makes very few components themselves. Nearly the entire car consists of components and sub-assemblies sourced from various manufacturers or Tier-1 suppliers. (Example: Oxygen Sensor, Bosch Part #13231, which cross references to: BMW Part # 11 78 1 735 499). These parts are sold directly from the manufacturer to distributors, suppliers, or retailers and not through the BMW Dealer network. This usually means savings for the end consumer while still having the same OE standards that the vehicle manufacturer specified. They are identical - a lot of times you can find where the OEM part had the BMW logo removed! In order to be labeled as an OEM part, it must meet the exact same design as the original part, regardless of where in the world it was manufactured. Any deviation from the original BMW spec is not considered OEM. In addition, in Germany for a part to be labeled "OEM" it must achieve German TUV certification.

Some OEMs may choose to produce a performance version of the original design. Technically speaking, these are no longer OEM parts but since they are coming from the original supplier you can be sure the quality is excellent and on par with the original. We generally refer to these as 'Performance Alternatives'.

Aftermarket
Aftermarket parts are produced by manufacturers that have no connection with OE. These are generally copied from OE parts but produced and sold for less cost than an OE/OEM. They are not necessarily inferior, unsafe, or poorly made. But since they have not achieved OEM or TUV status their quality is not guaranteed. In some cases, we have found an aftermarket part to be superior than OEM but it is rare. Turner Motorsport will not sell a product we are not completely satisfied using ourselves or one with high return rates or that receives too many customer complaints. Our experience is from 20+ years in the BMW business with mail order, in-house auto repair and service, and real racetrack experience influencing what we sell. In many cases we have learned to use only OE or OEM parts in many applications as the quality of the aftermarket part just doesn't live up to BMW or Turner standards.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after low pricing is forgotten," - Leon Cautillo, author.

With that, another e92 M3 supplier take for consideration [link below].
IMO, a worthwhile read for personal assessment(s).

OE vs AM - A retail seller opinion... what y'all think

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Genuine-...ign=header-img

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 09:36 PM   #33
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 12:50 AM   #34
Theodore2
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinsan View Post

Thoughts ??
In my experience with the S65, you will most likely feel a difference even at an 11k mile interval. One of the most rewarding maintenance items you can spend money on for this car.
Appreciate 1
gavinsan150.50
      10-05-2023, 02:40 PM   #35
egebhardt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3, 2024 Nissan Pro4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixride View Post
OEM. Don't take the chance. I don't get people who complain about the price... if you don't no what your getting into when you by a BMW (Let alone an M3) don't buy it. Just did mine in my 09 e92 M3, and wouldn't even think about anything else, but OEM.
A guy above said OEM is Bosch or NGK.
It really comes down to research and prior experience.
There's more than one way do things.
My point is: every part/project requires thinking. To just say "OEM at any expense" may not always be clear or make sense.
Appreciate 1
S65Hunter1187.50