BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

03-20-2016, 10:15 PM   #177
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPower15 View Post
Since so many people in this thread want to know how much swift lowered the car compared to stock, I measured the distance from the ground to the fender of my car on stock zcp suspension. If someone could do the same with swift springs I'm sure many of us would appreciate it.
The better way is to do center of hub to fender. If you do ground then wheel size, tire size, tire psi, etc comes into play that can throw off measurement.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 12:10 AM   #178
///MPower15
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvinclunk View Post
The better way is to do center of hub to fender. If you do ground then wheel size, tire size, tire psi, etc comes into play that can throw off measurement.
True, I'll measure it again when I have time.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #179
Inf4life
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPower15 View Post
True, I'll measure it again when I have time.
I'll measure mine tomorrow morning. I won't be home till late tonight.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #180
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

My swift springs were the first batch so i don't know if there been any revisions since then.

It might not look like it but the measurement was from the center of the center caps.

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #181
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

Has anyone noticed a difference in initial turn-in feel? When I turn the wheel a little at highway speed, it feels like the rear dips/sways a little. It feels kind of like a progressive spring setting up. I can easily reproduce it by lightly swerving back and forth. My stock suspension ZCP felt crisp in the initial turn-in. The car feels great once the suspension sets up on an on-ramp. I haven't had the car on the track with the new springs yet.

I just had a an alignment done. I'm running 1.8° 0 toe F, 1.8° 1/8 toe in R. I have Vorshlag camper plates, Bimmerworld spherical front lower control arm bushings and solid rear subframe bushings.

The wheel spring rates for the Swift Spec Rs are 257F/225R where the stock wheel rates are 147F/185R. Maybe, it's the fact that the rear is less stiff than the front with the Swifts. A lot of coilovers have stiffer front springs; so I don't know if that's the reason it feels different.

I only track a few times a year, but I enjoy spirited street driving. I miss the crisp turn in I had before. Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #182
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrbr View Post
Has anyone noticed a difference in initial turn-in feel? When I turn the wheel a little at highway speed, it feels like the rear dips/sways a little. It feels kind of like a progressive spring setting up. I can easily reproduce it by lightly swerving back and forth. My stock suspension ZCP felt crisp in the initial turn-in. The car feels great once the suspension sets up on an on-ramp. I haven't had the car on the track with the new springs yet.

I just had a an alignment done. I'm running 1.8° 0 toe F, 1.8° 1/8 toe in R. I have Vorshlag camper plates, Bimmerworld spherical front lower control arm bushings and solid rear subframe bushings.

The wheel spring rates for the Swift Spec Rs are 257F/225R where the stock wheel rates are 147F/185R. Maybe, it's the fact that the rear is less stiff than the front with the Swifts. A lot of coilovers have stiffer front springs; so I don't know if that's the reason it feels different.

I only track a few times a year, but I enjoy spirited street driving. I miss the crisp turn in I had before. Any help is appreciated.
The springs were tuned for the stock set-up without all of those things you installed on top of the springs, so it could be a number of things really. You could try playing with some spacer set-ups to see how it might change the dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 10:34 PM   #183
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
The springs were tuned for the stock set-up without all of those things you installed on top of the springs, so it could be a number of things really. You could try playing with some spacer set-ups to see how it might change the dynamics.
These spring rates are confusing to me - the number quoted on EAS was 279lbs/in for the fronts and 670lbs/in for the rears. The stock numbers are 160 lb/in front and 550 lb/in rear, aren't they? This 257/225 are the wheel spring rates, how did this get measured?
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 05:03 AM   #184
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
These spring rates are confusing to me - the number quoted on EAS was 279lbs/in for the fronts and 670lbs/in for the rears. The stock numbers are 160 lb/in front and 550 lb/in rear, aren't they? This 257/225 are the wheel spring rates, how did this get measured?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 06:32 AM   #185
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

Quote:
The wheel spring rate is calculated based on the position of the spring in reference to the wheel. Since the rear spring is divorced from the shock and inboard, it has a low motion ration. It's the reason the rear spring has a much higher rate than the front. I found the information here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzm3 View Post
Work in progress. Please reply to add/edit information to the list.

Discussion regarding each kit should be posted in their relevent threads. Information in this thread are subject to error and modification. Please use at your own risks.

Notes:
  • Spring rates (lb per inch) are approximate and are based on information from various threads and manufacturer's available data
  • Front motion ratio is approximated to be 0.96
  • Rear motion ratio is approximated to be 0.58
  • Wheel Rate = Spring Rate * (Motion Ratio)^2
  • OE Spring Rates: 160F/550R
  • OE Wheel Rates: 147F/185R
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #186
JuzMe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X4; E92 M3

Guys, I had Swift Spec-R installed before and it looked good lowered but affected ride quality. Going over humps in carparks wasn't comfortable especially the rears. Bouncy on highways therefore EDC has to be set to sports / sports+. Eventually uninstall them after 1+ year and went for Ohlins which is so much better for ride height adjustments, ride quality and performance. Obviously lost EDC functionality. I should have gone for coilovers from day 1 instead of mucking around with springs which do not match perfectly with OEM setup
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #187
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzMe View Post
Guys, I had Swift Spec-R installed before and it looked good lowered but affected ride quality. Going over humps in carparks wasn't comfortable especially the rears. Bouncy on highways therefore EDC has to be set to sports / sports+. Eventually uninstall them after 1+ year and went for Ohlins which is so much better for ride height adjustments, ride quality and performance. Obviously lost EDC functionality. I should have gone for coilovers from day 1 instead of mucking around with springs which do not match perfectly with OEM setup
What I plan on doing. I did like the stock setup a bit more then the swifts because it wasn't bouncy in comfort but the car does look great with the swifts. At the end of the day, they're great for city driving and do handle very nicely but on the long run ohlins is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #188
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you run the springs with a stiffer front sway bar? I have the Dinan setup in the middle slot, and I'm wondering if that will negatively impact performance.

To note, I only care about track performance - if it makes a difference there, that's all that matters to me.

I will eventually do a full upgrade to MCS 2-way or 3-way coilovers, but in the time attack series I'm competing in, the springs are a "free" 0 point upgrade.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 04:25 AM   #189
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Did you run the springs with a stiffer front sway bar? I have the Dinan setup in the middle slot, and I'm wondering if that will negatively impact performance.

To note, I only care about track performance - if it makes a difference there, that's all that matters to me.

I will eventually do a full upgrade to MCS 2-way or 3-way coilovers, but in the time attack series I'm competing in, the springs are a "free" 0 point upgrade.
I only had the swift springs actually. however, like i say in my review, coilovers are the way to go for track rats, and while I am a track rat myself, I simply didn't want to spend $3k for coilovers : ) haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #190
Inf4life
Retired
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzMe View Post
I agree, they are more stiff than my stock springs and do bounce a little bit. But I don't drive a Cadillac Brougham so I can deal with a little bit more rawness. It's a small price to pay for better handling when I need it and the improved looks of being lowered.

I just didn't want to spend $2k+ on a set of coilovers. These will be just fine until I get another car.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #191
simpleM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 06' E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
19’ BMW M5C  [0.00]
2007 E61 530XI  [0.00]
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I finally got mine installed after months of them sitting in my trunk. I can't comment too much about the performance because I haven't gotten an alignment, but I did feel the slight bounce, which I don't really like, but in the grand scheme of it, it's negligible. As for the look or drop, that I will say came out perfectly. It's exactly what I wanted. Not too aggressive, but low enough to make the difference. I was really impressed with how mine came out because I started to get worried after seeing some of the pics people posted. The rear drop was mild, but it really only needed a mild drop. The front came down at least an inch. I think someone on here said it's relatively close to the ZCP drop. I disagree. My front is lower than any stock ZCP. Anyhow, I'll post pics when I have time and possibly take a measurement, but not sure when I'm going to feel like doing that as I don't drive much. BTW, I'm running ZCP wheels with stock tire sizes and no spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
I agree, they are more stiff than my stock springs and do bounce a little bit. But I don't drive a Cadillac Brougham so I can deal with a little bit more rawness. It's a small price to pay for better handling when I need it and the improved looks of being lowered.

I just didn't want to spend $2k+ on a set of coilovers. These will be just fine until I get another car.

Last edited by simpleM3; 03-30-2016 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #192
Inf4life
Retired
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleM3 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I finally got mine installed after months of them sitting in my trunk. I can't comment too much about the performance because I haven't gotten an alignment, but I did feel like slight bounce, which I don't really like, but in the grand scheme of it, it's negligible. As for the look or drop, that I will say came out perfectly. It's exactly what I wanted. Not too aggressive, but low enough to make the difference. I was really impressed with how mine came out because I started to get worried after seeing some of the pics people posted. The rear drop was mild, but it really only needed a mild drop. The front came down at least an inch. I think someone on here said it's relatively close to the ZCP drop. I disagree. My front is lower than any stock ZCP. Anyhow, I'll post pics when I have time and possibly take a measurement, but not sure when I'm going to feel like doing that as I don't drive much. BTW, I'm running ZCP wheels with stock tire sizes and no spacers.
I'm glad it came out the way you wanted. It in no way looks like the ZCP drop. My car is ZCP and you can definitely see the difference after I put the springs on. The bounciness is only over really big bumps/dips in the road. Otherwise it's not bad at all. Try and play with your EDC settings to find a good mix of performance and ride quality. I daily my car and it's very livable. If someone just uses it as a weekend car, it shouldn't bother them that much. I'll be waiting for some pics of yours.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #193
simpleM3
Major
Rep

Garage List
19’ BMW M5C  [0.00]
2007 E61 530XI  [0.00]
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
Good call. I totally forgot to try it with the EDC. I was caught up in the moment because I also had a modded (perforated mod) exhaust put on as well, so I was all hyped about that. I may need to drive it later today actually, so I could get some pics up as early as tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
I'm glad it came out the way you wanted. It in no way looks like the ZCP drop. My car is ZCP and you can definitely see the difference after I put the springs on. The bounciness is only over really big bumps/dips in the road. Otherwise it's not bad at all. Try and play with your EDC settings to find a good mix of performance and ride quality. I daily my car and it's very livable. If someone just uses it as a weekend car, it shouldn't bother them that much. I'll be waiting for some pics of yours.

06’ E46 M3 ZCP | Karbonius | Ohlins | Vorshlag | Turner | Kassel | IND | Status Gruppe | Macht Schnell
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #194
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I only had the swift springs actually. however, like i say in my review, coilovers are the way to go for track rats, and while I am a track rat myself, I simply didn't want to spend $3k for coilovers : ) haha.
Yeah, the only reason I'm not doing coilovers is it would put me in a faster car classification for the time challenge series I'm doing. I'm hoping the springs are decent enough to make me somewhat competitive with lower HP cars that have full coilovers. If it's not enough I'll just concede and move to the higher class, lol.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #195
simpleM3
Major
Rep

Garage List
19’ BMW M5C  [0.00]
2007 E61 530XI  [0.00]
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
Drop

Pics with no alignment, filthy car, and from crappy phone. I'm interested in what you think of the pics because the car actually looks lower (in person) than I thought it would. I'm not conservative when it comes to a drop, but guess I was expecting this this to be conservative, but it really isn't.

06’ E46 M3 ZCP | Karbonius | Ohlins | Vorshlag | Turner | Kassel | IND | Status Gruppe | Macht Schnell

Last edited by simpleM3; 03-31-2016 at 06:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 10:31 PM   #196
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You need spacers, looks normal otherwise
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 06:24 AM   #197
simpleM3
Major
Rep

Garage List
19’ BMW M5C  [0.00]
2007 E61 530XI  [0.00]
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
In due time my friend. Between other mod purchases and labor costs, I'm a little strapped at the moment. Spacers are definitely next on the mod purchase list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
You need spacers, looks normal otherwise

Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #198
Inf4life
Retired
United_States
Rep

simpleM3 What size tires are you running?? Stock??
Appreciate 0