BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
mj157681
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 JZB DCT

Wierd Ticking or Tapping noise Noise - help!!

Hi folks,

So as I was driving back from work tonight the low engine oil warning came up asking me to add a quart of oil. I dint have oil and I was 15 miles away from home so figured I will go home and top it. As I was pulling over into my garage I noticed a weird ticking sound. I filled up the oil and restarted the car again but the noise is still there when idling. I am starting to get paranoid about it now. Can someone please listen and comment? The good thing is I am still under factory warranty till May of this year but would like to hear your thoughts before I take it to the dealership. Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/UtOa5CJvw6w
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
It's probably the same ticking noise that many (I mean many) of us get especially when it starts to get warm out. Hard to tell from your video without revving it some. If you are still under warranty you might as well take it in to be on the safe side though, especially since it expires in just 2 months.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 11:36 PM   #3
mj157681
United_States
Rep

I will try to post another one while revving it. I did rev it up a little bit when I was not recording but IIRC i dint hear the Ticking noise then but may be I was too confused to notice.

My concern is tomorrow I wake up to find the noise gone completely only for it to come back again in a few days/weeks and then Paranoia starts again

Also I am wondering if driving for 15-20 miles with oil at Minimum level had something to do with it...

Can others look at the video and advise please...

If it is anything bad or major I would rather it happen now than later after my Warranty expires.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj157681 View Post
I will try to post another one while revving it. I did rev it up a little bit when I was not recording but IIRC i dint hear the Ticking noise then but may be I was too confused to notice.

My concern is tomorrow I wake up to find the noise gone completely only for it to come back again in a few days/weeks and then Paranoia starts again

Also I am wondering if driving for 15-20 miles with oil at Minimum level had something to do with it...

Can others look at the video and advise please...

If it is anything bad or major I would rather it happen now than later after my Warranty expires.
1-Hold your cam close to the driver side front wheel while you rev it "slowly" up to 3K rpm's ..repait this 3 times .
2-Post up your new video .
3-Reply me with your new Youtube link .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

Rod Bearings!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #6
mj157681
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
1-Hold your cam close to the driver side front wheel while you rev it "slowly" up to 3K rpm's ..repait this 3 times .
2-Post up your new video .
3-Reply me with your new Youtube link .

I was hoping for you to respond. Thanks for all your inputs .

Here you go - Just like you said.

https://youtu.be/tFAt5BnXur4

44' to 47', 1:08' to 1:11' and 1:24' to 1:29'

When I started it this evening the ticking noise was not there. So I took it for a drive till it got heated up nicely and then as I pulled up into my garage, boom the noise starts. If you notice in the video it is almost always there but as I start revving around 1500 - 2000 at around the 44' to 47' mark, 1:08 to 1:11 and 1:24 to 1:29 in the video it is rhythmic with the increased revs.

I am really upset and concerned guys. I have never tracked my car and rarely drive it aggressively and as far as I know the car is bone stock. Please tell me this is something else.

Should I continue driving or have it taken/towed to the dealership right away?
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
stiles
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M3

Quote:

When I started it this evening the ticking noise was not there. So I took it for a drive till it got heated up nicely and then as I pulled up into my garage, boom the noise starts. If you notice in the video it is almost always there but as I start revving around 1500 - 2000 at around the 44' to 47' mark, 1:08 to 1:11 and 1:24 to 1:29 in the video it is rhythmic with the increased revs.

I am really upset and concerned guys. I have never tracked my car and rarely drive it aggressively and as far as I know the car is bone stock. Please tell me this is something else.

Try not to panic, I had the same ticking for 6 months during the warmer days in Virginia. It vanished when it got colder. You'll find very few people who have had the issue escalate past just an annoying noise. People will shout rod bearing, but it's most likely a tiny exhaust leak or something irrelevant. Do some searches, I even started a similar thread where I freaked out, 5,000 miles later, the car runs great and I've had no problems. From the research I've done rod bearing is almost always a knock (not a metal tick noise) that is consistent. Try to relax and take a deep breath, it's a common issue. If you're still under warranty, you can take it in if it makes you feel better, but they may disassemble the engine or replace things that don't ever fix it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #8
mj157681
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiles View Post
Try not to panic, I had the same ticking for 6 months during the warmer days in Virginia. It vanished when it got colder. You'll find very few people who have had the issue escalate past just an annoying noise. People will shout rod bearing, but it's most likely a tiny exhaust leak or something irrelevant. Do some searches, I even started a similar thread where I freaked out, 5,000 miles later, the car runs great and I've had no problems. From the research I've done rod bearing is almost always a knock (not a metal tick noise) that is consistent. Try to relax and take a deep breath, it's a common issue. If you're still under warranty, you can take it in if it makes you feel better, but they may disassemble the engine or replace things that don't ever fix it.

Thanks for your words of encouragement and your input. When you say you had this noise was it increasing as you were revving it up or just random noise while idling. The random noise when idling doesn't concern me a lot just the fact that it is rhythmic with the rpms is what bothers me. Did you have this too or just random ticks.

I am in Florida so it rarely gets cold right now its in the upper 60's. I try not to panic or worry but its kind of there in my head given the fact that I take care of my car like a baby. I will wait for more inputs and then based on that will take it to the dealership and have them check it out. Thanks again.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #9
RoundelObsession
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: S65M3

Do not start or drive the car anymore. Research and find the best independent shop near you within reason and have it towed to them.

Last edited by RoundelObsession; 03-06-2016 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #10
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

Sorry for the late respons ,I had to work and I'm running 9 hours in front of your local time ..
I can hear it very clear , and from 1:20 to 1:30 the ticking noise is loud and rhythmic with the increased rpm's , actually just like you said .
But it's "no" rattle noise or knock (would be game over) so my advice is..
Take it to your BWM/Dealer ASAP , because personal I think your S65 needs an investigation after the cause of the noise .
I saw in your # 1 comment that you still have BMW "factory warranty till May" and that's really good in your situation .
You asked also...
I would call them first and explain the situation ,and send your youtube-link from your video also to your BMW/Dealer .
If they say that you can still drive your car to the dealership , the responsibility is also for the dealership if something would go wrong .
I would drive the car "not more" than really necessary and keep the rpm's low .
Your situation needs precaution , take no risks because we never know with our S65 engine .
I saw a few cases from ticking noises that came from the heat shield , manifold and even from the cats , so please let's not panic .
But it's for sure .."The ticking noise is very clear"
Please keep us/me posted about the update from your BMW/Dealer .
Feel free to PM me at any time .. Good luck .
-Philippe .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #11
mj157681
United_States
Rep

No Problem. Thanks for checking it out. I scheduled an appointment for this afternoon and they said its ok to drive it to the Dealership.

I was up till 3am this morning reading about this fucking noise on this thread. Like Stiles mentioned so many people with the same noise but most of them were found to be some reason or the other than Rod bearings. I also saw videos with the knocking noise before BF and they do sound different from what most of us have.

What I am getting to is the noise before a BF is metallic and for sure different than this Ticking noise which sounds more like plastic. I guess the question is how many of the folks started out with this ticking noise and ended up with a hole in their engine? If we don't have evidence of that happening then we can feel fairly comfortable.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #12
mj157681
United_States
Rep

Update:

Took the car in and the SA said lets hear it out. The ticking noise was there but not very clear. He had the shop foreman hear it and he did agree that there was a noise. They were hesitant to give me a loaner so asked me to wait a while they look at it. If it turns out to be nothing they said they will give the car back to me in an hour or so. I thought to myself they better not do that.

Anyways while doing the paperwork I did bring it up to the SA about stuff on the internet and the rod bearing failures on the M3's and asked him if they have had any E9x M3's with a BF. Of course he rolled his eyes like what fucking bearing failures are you talking about and said no. He said don't read a lot into the internet and the forums, there's a lot of BS out there

Finally after waiting for close to two hours he says they were not able to determine the cause and will need extra time to diagnose and gave me a loaner.

I will know on Monday what is going on. Till then fingers crossed..
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #13
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

Quote:

Anyways while doing the paperwork I did bring it up to the SA about stuff on the internet and the rod bearing failures on the M3's and asked him if they have had any E9x M3's with a BF. Of course he rolled his eyes like what fucking bearing failures are you talking about and said no. He said don't read a lot into the internet and the forums, there's a lot of BS out there
haha, that is absolutely the consensus reaction among mechanics i've used.

Keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #14
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Update:

Took the car in and the SA said lets hear it out. The ticking noise was there but not very clear. He had the shop foreman hear it and he did agree that there was a noise. They were hesitant to give me a loaner so asked me to wait a while they look at it. If it turns out to be nothing they said they will give the car back to me in an hour or so. I thought to myself they better not do that.

Finally after waiting for close to two hours he says they were not able to determine the cause and will need extra time to diagnose and gave me a loaner.

I will know on Monday what is going on. Till then fingers crossed..
Exactly what I expected !
Show them your new youtube video and put them a damn headphone on !
Thanks for the update

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #15
stiles
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M3

Quote:
Thanks for your words of encouragement and your input. When you say you had this noise was it increasing as you were revving it up or just random noise while idling. The random noise when idling doesn't concern me a lot just the fact that it is rhythmic with the rpms is what bothers me. Did you have this too or just random ticks.

I am in Florida so it rarely gets cold right now its in the upper 60's. I try not to panic or worry but its kind of there in my head given the fact that I take care of my car like a baby. I will wait for more inputs and then based on that will take it to the dealership and have them check it out. Thanks again.
Hey man, I had the same experience taking it into a shop. They said they'd need to remove the exhaust system to get closer to the noise. I'm not under warranty so I declined.

Here's the thread I started, it's very similar to this one: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161351

You can see my crisis and watch my videos I posted. The noise is identical to yours, and does increase when revving. It's gone right now and I expect it will be back when the warmer months come around. Some people have had luck switching from one gas station to another (whether it's coincidence or not, who knows?). Some people have had it disappear after an oil change. Some people have had it disappear after changing the oil to a different weight/brand. Some people say it's gone away on it's own. I can't seem to find a group of folks who have seen this specific ticking noise lead to engine failure. I'm glad you have it in the shop, just for piece of mind. People have had their rod bearings replaced due to this noise, only to have the noise reappear when they have the car back. The only mod I've done to my car is OEM exhaust mod, and it came up directly after that. Have you had any exhaust work done? Maybe if they pull the exhaust off it can create a leak? Who knows lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #16
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Take it to the dealer, pay the 1 hr diagnostic fee, and see what they say. This way it's on-record in case anything gets worse.

Frankly, the car being down a quart on oil isn't really a problem unless you're at a very technical track where the pickup *might* get momentarily starved. The sump is massive so there's plenty of extra oil in there.

Protip: buy the silly BMW oil bag for the trunk and keep a spare quart in there.
      03-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #17
mj157681
United_States
Rep

Update:

My SA called and said they weren't able to pinpoint the reason for the noise. As far as my concern regarding RB, they said it not due to Rod bearings. They said it could be due Heat expansions as we have heard so many times on this forum. They also said the noise is not something abnormal. I find it hard to accept how can a noise that started suddenly be normal, there has to be some reason for it.

Anyways I am going to pick it up this evening. Is there any thing in specific that I need to get from them in the worst case this turns out to be something major? Any tips?

Members who were given reasons like this-did you guys get something in your paperwork regarding this?
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 04:40 PM   #18
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Update:

My SA called and said they weren't able to pinpoint the reason for the noise. As far as my concern regarding RB, they said it not due to Rod bearings. They said it could be due Heat expansions as we have heard so many times on this forum. They also said the noise is not something abnormal. I find it hard to accept how can a noise that started suddenly be normal, there has to be some reason for it.

Anyways I am going to pick it up this evening. Is there any thing in specific that I need to get from them in the worst case this turns out to be something major? Any tips?

Members who were given reasons like this-did you guys get something in your paperwork regarding this?
So they tell you that ticking noises from heat expansions are normal ..but they are rhythmic with your increased rpm's ?
And that's actually what we can hear in your video ?
I'm sorry ...But that sounds like BS to me , and personal I would tell them they talk BS !

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #19
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Not really, just make sure the diagnostic sheet they give you has this written on there. It'll be on record in the BMW system in case anything gets worse.

Keep on motoring.

Quote:
Update:

03-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #20
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

have you done an oil analysis?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #21
mj157681
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
have you done an oil analysis?
No. I am at 38k and thought I will do it around the 50k mark. But now I am planning to do it at the next oil change.

BTW when I went to pick my car up I told the SA that the heat expansion theory was BS and I don't buy it. He just gave me a smile. He said BMW will not pay them to go deeper to open up the engine or do the bearings until an issue is found. He said drive the car hard and if something is wrong it will get worse within the next 2 months.

Another thing I am completely pissed about is they said they test drove the car for 5 miles but when I look at the trip computer the mpg has dropped to 15.8 mpg. I remember resetting my trip computer at the last gas fill and had driven for around 200 miles before I dropped it at the dealer. Before dropping it off the mpg was 17.5. I am completely baffled how can it drop to 15.8 if they drove it for 5 miles. I would have to drive the shit out of the car to drop like that within 5 miles. I am so fucking pissed . It makes me sick to the stomach at the thought that those assholes could have possibly redlined my car at cold start. I have taken so much care of this car and never revved past 3k before the temp hits 210...this just fucking sucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #22
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

SAs are not always technical guys. They are mostly sales people -- speak to the actual technician(s) if you want to get some details.

Just relax. The car was probably idling and being driven around town for a few minutes, which would obviously be below 17.5mpg. I drive in downtown Chicago all the time and when I'm going from light-to-light I'm barely managing 10mpg.

If this dealer isn't meeting your needs, find another.