BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

10-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Zoli007
Professional lurker
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 MCB M3 sold =(

Anyone care to discuss their negotiating tactics?

I will be the first to admit, I dont know the first thing about negotiating a price for anything, much less a car. To me, a price tag means thats what it costs, the end.

Can some of you crafty negotiators who have managed 3k+ off of your purchase go through how exactly you do that?

I walk in, I find a sales guy and say Im interested in buying an M3. We sit down, discuss options bla bla. Then comes the price. I doubt they are going to offer money off up front. Do you just ask for it? How does that process work?

Yes I'll order the car, but only if you guys take 3k off sticker. what if they say no we cant do that, that it?

I apologize if this is stupid, but I know that I lurk more than I post and I read all these amazing deals some of you get and I sit baffled at how exactly you do that.
      10-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
jaay11
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Dinan 2

Where do you want to be with payments? :-D

Yep, stay away from the "payments" discussion. Do your homework and research the invoice price for the car + options. Then....as an informed customer, make an offer for your car adding in a reasonable profit (i.e. invoice + $500).

This is a good time to do it because they want to get rid of the 08s. Make sure you do your homework and stand firm. Walk away for a week if you have too....they'll call you everyday with "what do I have to do to get you in this car" talk. Stand on your offer. Others might be able to add to this....just my 2˘

btw, I guess I don't know what a reasonable offer is....but you can decide what you want to pay them.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
JamesYachouh
Rep
Drives: 2004/SG/M3, 2007/FG/MB E350

Are you leasing or purchasing?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Depends if you want to order it or buy one on the lot.

If you're buying one on the lot, go in last few days of the month and seem only slightly interested & not ready to buy even though you are. Kill a majority of their time by talking about the car, driving it, running numbers, changing your mind speaking out loud that this is way over your budget, etc. After a few hours of getting nowhere, they will have a hard time letting you walk without offering you a great deal.

If you're ordering one, go in at the beginning of the month (they'll be more inclined to talk to you longer) to your favorite dealer and decide to buy from them. Find a salesperson who is not on the prowl, maybe one recommended by an acquaintance and explain to them the exact car you're looking for. Have them build it online for the sake of getting an MSRP. Be upfront and tell him you wouldn't want to waste his time and that you want to order and not looking to purchase this month. Chat them up, look around in their cube to see if there's a conversation starter, gain their confidence. Not only do people buy from who they like, they also give good deals to who they like. Let them know that another dealer has already commited to $2.5-3k off of MSRP to go with them since you told them you were going to the dealership you're at. Tell him you'll put a deposit and call it a done deal if he can go $3.5k or more off MSRP.

If you already have a relationship with your CA, you will be able to be more upfront and honest to the point where you'll tell him what you want to pay based off invoice, etc.

There's so many different variables/scenarios...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
nullspace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 m40i

I don't bother setting foot in a dealer until we have agreed on a price. I simply call or email every dealer in the state and ask for their best price. That sounds like a lot of emails, but there really aren't all that many dealers. Just copy-paste for an hour and you're done. That's less time than you'd spend sitting at a single dealer. Some won't respond, others will give you a high price, and a few will give you a good deal. I don't negotiate, and I don't make dealers bid against each other. I'm always courteous, and I thank everyone for their time.

I've bought a lot of cars this way, and I've always been able to get a great deal. My ordered 2009 E92 is coming next month for $1000 over invoice. It's easy and stress free.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
Zoli007
Professional lurker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesDKE View Post
Depends if you want to order it or buy one on the lot.

If you're buying one on the lot, go in last few days of the month and seem only slightly interested & not ready to buy even though you are. Kill a majority of their time by talking about the car, driving it, running numbers, changing your mind speaking out loud that this is way over your budget, etc. After a few hours of getting nowhere, they will have a hard time letting you walk without offering you a great deal.

If you're ordering one, go in at the beginning of the month (they'll be more inclined to talk to you longer) to your favorite dealer and decide to buy from them. Find a salesperson who is not on the prowl, maybe one recommended by an acquaintance and explain to them the exact car you're looking for. Have them build it online for the sake of getting an MSRP. Be upfront and tell him you wouldn't want to waste his time and that you want to order and not looking to purchase this month. Chat them up, look around in their cube to see if there's a conversation starter, gain their confidence. Not only do people buy from who they like, they also give good deals to who they like. Let them know that another dealer has already commited to $2.5-3k off of MSRP to go with them since you told them you were going to the dealership you're at. Tell him you'll put a deposit and call it a done deal if he can go $3.5k or more off MSRP.

If you already have a relationship with your CA, you will be able to be more upfront and honest to the point where you'll tell him what you want to pay based off invoice, etc.

There's so many different variables/scenarios...
We will be ordering because I really want a lot of the 09 options, le mans blue being the main one. I already know our salesguy since my father has ordered 4 cars from him, also my uncle and aunt have purchased from him.

I will probably just tell him what price I want to pay, probably 2-3k off sticker and tell him thats what Im going to pay. I will also look into other states and do PCD if I have to. My biggest problem is I want the car NOW, patience is not one of my virtues so I tend to give in easily. But I want to be smart this time around. Im really interested in hearing your stories of how to do that.
      10-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Go up to the dealer and order a new car, when it arrives get him to register it in the dealership name and put it out the back for 45 days.

That means the car was a demonstrations model and after 45 they get a special bonus from BWM for having a demo. (You have to pay for the car the day it arrives at the dealership)

Tell him you want 50% of the bonus, he makes money you get a cheap car. Should work out at around 15% off.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
CMOS
Private
Rep
Drives: Carrera 4S

Are you planning to finance the car? If you finance it through the dealership, that's points for them and that may help you get the lower price you seek on the car.
So I would find out the best rate I can from an independent bank first. Then say to the dealer, if you can beat xx percent, then you can do the financing too.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
Zoli007
Professional lurker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOS View Post
Are you planning to finance the car? If you finance it through the dealership, that's points for them and that may help you get the lower price you seek on the car.
So I would find out the best rate I can from an independent bank first. Then say to the dealer, if you can beat xx percent, then you can do the financing too.
Interesting, did not know that. I was planning on getting financing from through my wifes credit union she's been with forever. But this is all good information.

FWIW Im planning on ordering a car around March. I need to get rid of my M5 and put away some money before I feel "safe" ordering the car. We could afford it now but I'd rather wait and be absolutely sure. Not something I want to just jump into. As far as trading the car that is an absolute last resort, they offered me ~$26k I know the car is worth much more than that private party.

I do appreciate all the info coming guys, thanks a lot!
      10-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Tell them the economy/market is shitty and that if they dont give you a discount that you will walk out the door and go buy a C63. Trust me, the dealers are desperate to push inventory right now, just have to show up with your poker face.
      10-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You are a guy right?

Get a female CA. They can usually connect with you better and know what you want.

This is why I had female CA's for my current ride and previous two cars as well

Man are usually just all business...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #12
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Oh MY GOODness, Zoli, I need to go with you. I'll show how it is done: Let's talk about price! Have some balls man! This is how I did it when I purchased the Cayman S for my cousin. Priced advertise: 42K. I test drove it. I like it. Went inside the office, and straight to the manager with the salesrep: Let's talk about price! I offer you 39k. let's do it now. They came back with 41k. I said thanks but no thanks. Then he came back with 40500. I am like, I'll think about it. Final price: 40325. Not bat ehhh.... Hey, it is your money, right? So have some guts. Let me know how it turn out.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #13
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
You are a guy right?

Get a female CA. They can usually connect with you better and know what you want.

This is why I had female CA's for my current ride and previous two cars as well

Man are usually just all business...
no no, bad idea! I don't like to deal with females CA. Sorry, I am not being sexiest. We tend to fall pray to beautiful ones. I hate that
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #14
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
no no, bad idea! I don't like to deal with females CA. Sorry, I am not being sexiest. We tend to fall pray to beautiful ones. I hate that
that's right. but that's why i pick more mature female CA's who are old enough to be my mom
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 04:36 AM   #15
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

well i get 7% dicount from my dealer. just asked him and told him that i will go to another dealer.simple!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 04:53 AM   #16
ericiu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Alpina XB7

I got a pretty good deal on my '09, but that's after I had to leave my local dealership and purchase from outside the state (not a big deal because the drive is only about 200 miles away). Anyway, I was wondering when you guys say "X under MSRP" or "X over invoice" are you factoring in the gas guzzler tax and destination&handling? The website adds D&H to the MSRP but not the gg tax. I didn't notice this when I was originally negotiating, so I did manage to get a good bit off of MSRP+D&H (GG tax not included). I think if GG tax ($1300/1700) is also included in your deal, you're really getting little off of the true MSRP?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #17
M3101
Private
Rep
Drives: Depends on what day...

When you purchase out of your state how is this different than in state? Other than getting a better price. How do you register the vehicle and what tax rate is applied?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #18
nullspace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3101 View Post
When you purchase out of your state how is this different than in state? Other than getting a better price. How do you register the vehicle and what tax rate is applied?
That depends on the state. I live in California, and if you buy out of state you generally have to get the car smog checked before you can register. Once you have your smog certificate, you take the car to the DMV for a quick inspection, and you pay the "use tax" equal to the sales tax on a car purchased in state.

Also, you aren't protected by California's lemon law, which is a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #19
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
that's right. but that's why i pick more mature female CA's who are old enough to be my mom
MILFs'
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #20
M3101
Private
Rep
Drives: Depends on what day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullspace View Post
That depends on the state. I live in California, and if you buy out of state you generally have to get the car smog checked before you can register. Once you have your smog certificate, you take the car to the DMV for a quick inspection, and you pay the "use tax" equal to the sales tax on a car purchased in state.

Also, you aren't protected by California's lemon law, which is a deal breaker for me.
Thanks..and that sucks regarding the lemon law.

Does anyone know how it works in Texas?
Also, I guess when you go to DMV and pay your taxes, this means you can't roll this in with the finance when you purchase the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #21
Canyon Junkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

I'm most successful when I can balance my inclination to "walk away" with the salesman's inclination so say "that's it, that's the best deal I can give you."

These are all great strategies. They all intertwine at some point.
      10-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #22
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

I'm heading in this saturday to negotiate my deal..

wish me luck!
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0