BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-06-2019, 03:08 AM   #331
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Worth the money, the response from the driveline above 4K rpm is insane
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #332
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFactory View Post
If it's already been on for 10K and it's not came apart, then you should be fine
appreciate the reassurance.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 11:42 PM   #333
kuy902
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: G-power SKII CS e92 M3 (2008)

Ive blown my 6MT transmission synchro (2nd to 3rd) from heavy track/ race use at ~90k -100k mark.

The less rotational inertia from lighter driveshaft allows smoother and easier gear engagements; which FEELS like it will be easier on the synchro as well. Ive since got a new 6MT transmission from BMW so lets see if this one outlasts older one with lighter driveshaft.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #334
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

100kiloklicks or kilomiles
      08-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #335
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

is it worth doing this to a relatively stock E90 DCT or will there be issues without upgrading other components?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #336
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
is it worth doing this to a relatively stock E90 DCT or will there be issues without upgrading other components?
I can't see any downside to this. You can upgrade other components as you want and will only enhance the feel of the driveshaft.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #337
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
Quote:
I can't see any downside to this. You can upgrade other components as you want and will only enhance the feel of the driveshaft.
Ok thanks. I need a DS but some posts on other threads about CF ones mentioned issues with having to do DCT mounts, and potentially other suspension changes to avoid some potential issues. but I'm so ignorant to this stuff... so worried about pulling the trigger
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #338
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
Quote:
Ok thanks. I need a DS but some posts on other threads about CF ones mentioned issues with having to do DCT mounts, and potentially other suspension changes to avoid some potential issues. but I'm so ignorant to this stuff... so worried about pulling the trigger
You don't have to change other suspension stuff in order to do it. You will need to drop the DCT tranny mounts to jack the tranny up to get clearance to install the new driveshaft. It's not all that hard but requires about 4.5 hours to do it. You can change out the subframe and diff bushings if you want to solid bushings; I didn't and don't have any issues with it at all.
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881104.00
      08-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #339
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
No additional changes required for CF DS to work. But while you're down there, you might to check and replace some other bits like the guibo, etc.
Appreciate 2
wfdeacon881104.00
Silos555.50
      08-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #340
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
nope. its only going to help. this is one of those high performance value, reasonable cost, zero downsides mods.
      08-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #341
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Quote:
nope. its only going to help. this is one of those high performance value, reasonable cost, zero downsides mods.
Thanks. Must have been reading some pessimistic posts.. Is there a group buy still open?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #342
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I would not put a one piece CF as high performance value. There may be some minimal power gain but nothing you can feel. There is a more direct drivetrain connection that you can feel, but it is not dramatic and there is nothing wrong with an M3 with a good condition stock driveshaft. If you have already done all the other mods and are looking for something new, or if your stock shaft is worn out and you are about to spend money to have it rebuilt, then the one piece CF shaft makes sense.

I have had mine for 2 years. I would rate stiffer subframe bushings higher. A tune would definitely be higher. An x-pipe would definitely be higher.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #343
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Let me offer some clarity- the value based on cost compared to performance, feel, and influence is high. It's not going to turn the car into a beast.
This is icing on the cake.

I had my sub/diff bushings for a while before I installed this cf shaft. I'd say the carbon shaft added just as much "feel" to the car as the sub/diff bushings. I feel like it's the "stage two" of adding sub/diff bushings.
      08-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #344
E4superfly
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I would not put a one piece CF as high performance value. There may be some minimal power gain but nothing you can feel. There is a more direct drivetrain connection that you can feel, but it is not dramatic and there is nothing wrong with an M3 with a good condition stock driveshaft. If you have already done all the other mods and are looking for something new, or if your stock shaft is worn out and you are about to spend money to have it rebuilt, then the one piece CF shaft makes sense.

I have had mine for 2 years. I would rate stiffer subframe bushings higher. A tune would definitely be higher. An x-pipe would definitely be higher.

I beg to differ if you are dct it's just another mod. If your 6mt this is the best bang for buck.

As a 6mt owner best mod I've done to my car hands down the car feels completely different at the limit it inspires so much more confidence.

down shifts are way more fun, changing from 1st to 2nd is better. Turn in is actually improved, the rear is more planted and offers more feel.

Out of every corner I can put the power down way earlier.
      08-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #345
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I am 6MT. There is simply not the dramatic difference you claim. A driveshaft does not change the car’s handling, does not improve turn in, does not make the car more planted, and does not put the power down way earlier. Stiffer subframe bushings help with those things. I do agree the one piece CF DS gives a more direct feel when shifting or getting on and off the throttle, because removal of the center ujoint eliminates the little bit of play that existed in the center of the shaft.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #346
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quick question Mfactory, what's the torque specs on the bolts and do they need to be reapplied with any kind of loctite?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #347
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Quick question Mfactory, what's the torque specs on the bolts and do they need to be reapplied with any kind of loctite?
New TIS has the torque specs as well as some other postings on here. Green loctite is suggested for the ZNS bolts at the diff end of you are reusing them. I didn't and can't really see why after their torqued in. It's going to be almost impossible to torque the front end of the DS to spec so you'll just have to do it by feel.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #348
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E4superfly View Post
I beg to differ if you are dct it's just another mod.
i'd say it enhances both the DCT and 6MT in different ways. we just feel it differently.
i don't keep track of gas mileage- at all. i look at the idrive mileage estimate for fun from time to time, but i don't keep track and don't care. i feel like i'm getting better gas mileage with this driveshaft.
allow me to explain;
my other car is electric, and coasting and managing regen is done through manipulating the throttle. some of this habit carries over when i'm driving the m3. anyone who drives a dct knows how quickly this car decelerates when you simply lift off the throttle when going straight. i noticed right away the car doesn't decelerate as quickly when i lift off the throttle. there is also the obvious benefit of turning less mass when simply maintaining speed. how much mpg? no idea, and i don't care, but the car seems less thirsty.

secondary to that, the dct is already clunky. going to a one piece shaft enhances the mechanical feel of the dct. this also becomes magnified with solid sub/diff mounts. it is very sharp and direct. the visualization doesn't make any sense, but if you bolted the diff directly to the output of the dct, i would imagine this is how it would feel. lol

how i rate the quality of parts is this- knowing what i now know, would i buy it again? would i recommend it to a friend? yes to both for this one.
      08-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #349
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
its tight clearance and you'll have a hard time getting an accurate torque meter on the there. the bolt directions parallel the driveshaft and you don't want to slip or put any accidental leverage on the carbon tube. TAF standard- "tight as F."
      08-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #350
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E4superfly View Post
Turn in is actually improved, the rear is more planted and offers more feel.

Out of every corner I can put the power down way earlier.
Wow, you make this sound like the God Mod

Sorry, no way the driveshaft changes handling dynamics to these extents. What does the ds have to do with turn-in and putting the power down??
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #351
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

yea, that's a bit of a stretch for me.
      08-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #352
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Trailing throttle is going to feel different with a different driveshaft, and a lighter spinning object resists being tilted off its axis less than a heavy one, but yeah, I mean. Imma need to see some receipts