BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

06-16-2020, 06:34 PM   #1
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

TPWS - how is the info displayed?

I understand that the TPWS uses the tyre valve pressure sensors/transmitters (rather than monitoring tyre rotation) - can anyone provide a picture of how this is displayed on the i-Drive?

Is it just OK/Not OK, or are the actual pressures displayed?

(My car, like all Euro-spec cars with TPMS, only displays a low-pressure or puncture warning flag, without any pressure display)

TIA
      04-11-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I understand that the TPWS uses the tyre valve pressure sensors/transmitters (rather than monitoring tyre rotation) - can anyone provide a picture of how this is displayed on the i-Drive?

(My car, like all Euro-spec cars with TPMS, only displays a low-pressure or puncture warning flag, without any pressure display)

TIA
Time for a really polite bump.

I just need to know how US spec E9x CIC cars display tyre (oops...tire) pressure info.

Is it by showing actual pressures (psi/bar) or just Green/Not Green?

Are tyre temperatures also displayed?

TIA2
      04-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Quote:

TIA
Just green or otherwise, no pressure or temp display.
Attached Images

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 1
Tony B84.00
      04-12-2021, 03:49 AM   #4
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpc2u View Post
Just green or otherwise, no pressure or temp display.
Thank you for confirming this!

And the status for your car is driven by pressure sensors in the tyre valves, not by relative wheel rotation speeds (as is the case for Euro/UK spec cars)?

I wonder why they went to the additional cost of doing this via the tyre valve method. Unless it is actually more accurate than relative wheel rotation.
      04-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #5
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Thank you for confirming this!

And the status for your car is driven by pressure sensors in the tyre valves, not by relative wheel rotation speeds (as is the case for Euro/UK spec cars)?

I wonder why they went to the additional cost of doing this via the tyre valve method. Unless it is actually more accurate than relative wheel rotation.
The E9X had two options, TPMS which uses the sensors in the valve stems and FTM which uses rotational speed.

TPMS sensors are generally more accurate but the E9X can't display the individual pressures or temperatures. That feature wasn't available until the F3x/NBT platform.
Tony B84.00
      04-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #6
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
The E9X had two options, TPMS which uses the sensors in the valve stems and FTM which uses rotational speed.

TPMS sensors are generally more accurate but the E9X can't display the individual pressures or temperatures. That feature wasn't available until the F3x/NBT platform.
Thank you for clearing this up.

I was toying with the idea of retrofitting the necessary hardware, and wheel sensors, but this confirms that the effort/cost will not be worth it!