BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

02-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
Kafka
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMG

Question Ok, learn how to drive, eh?

Thanks for the welcome folks. I have checked out the "search" feature so I hope my questions aren't old ones that cause annoyance (or worse). While I love the car, I love more the driving of the car.

Like so many of you, I enthusiastically(!!) await the new M3 (or any related news at any time). And I struggle with the patience (!!) for my delivery date and M3.
Rather than being completely frustrated I want to DO something while I wait for summer or probably even later 2008 - God, not 2009 I hope (estimated delivery time from my trusted dealer and my location on the waiting list). Anyway, while I wait I want to improve my driving skills (and there is lots to improve on) to bring to the car (what's the point of the M3 if the driver has few skills to bring to the machine?). I have taken a couple of BMW driving schools (early 2000's) and they were a blast. But developing a plan for taking a number of these schools is difficult so I hope some of you can offer some advice so I can plan bookings for later this year and early 2008. I just want to drive!

1. In the US (recall I'm in Canada) there are some great schools beginning with the one at Spartanburg. As you know it offers a 2 day M school and ultimately an advanced M class. However, the Canadian BMW schools classify their schools, not by M or not, but by various levels (e.g. advanced I, II, perfection, fascination, etc.). Maybe this is like some of the local BMW club courses, I don't know. Given the course and travel costs I would like to have some idea of the sequence of courses to take (while I was an intermediate driver, I now will have to start over given the lapse in time). Has anyone take a variety of these courses to have an idea of how to "progress" through the levels as best as possible. Or maybe it's not an issue? Any thoughts from those of you who have take some of these courses? Did you go through a sequence?

2. To complicate matter I understand there are some great non-BMW course such as the Skip Barber and Bondurant schools. How do these mesh with the BMW courses in terms of developing skills on the track?

Any other thoughts on driving schools in prep for the M3? I have asked local people but they don't seem to know much about all the driving school possibilities in the US of A.

March 8th!

Cheers,
K.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

I can address one of the options you mention: BMW club schools. I understand you are in Canada, so some of this information may not apply to you personally, although it may help others. The BMWCCA offers excellent schools at many major road courses thoughout the US. I myself have attended schools at Road America in Wisconsin using my E46 M3, and the instruction was absolutely top notch. You can learn a lot about car control and gain a realistic assessment of your own abilities/need for improvement at these schools. I highly recommend that you check with the BMW club in Canada or perhaps explore whether you can attend schools offered by the BMWCCA in the US.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
2. To complicate matter I understand there are some great non-BMW course such as the Skip Barber and Bondurant schools. How do these mesh with the BMW courses in terms of developing skills on the track?

Cheers,
K.
I can only comment on the above....each school/organization or course has its own style & each time you attend you have to have an open mind knowing that it maybe be different from what your used to...it really doesn't matter what your weapon of choice is (BMW, P-car, ect ect) the principles & techniques are all the same but of course you have to adjust to/for the car/track/conditions ect...

I have not taken any "car" driving courses but I have taken many motorcycle courses & have many many trackdays under my belt & each time a take a course or go to a trackday I learn something new the most important thing is to have fun

I'm not sure if any other course clashes w/ the BMW courses but you will be a better driver after any course (hopefully), HTH

Bill
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Kafka
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks to someone whose done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
I can address one of the options you mention: BMW club schools. I understand you are in Canada, so some of this information may not apply to you personally, although it may help others. The BMWCCA offers excellent schools at many major road courses thoughout the US. I myself have attended schools at Road America in Wisconsin using my E46 M3, and the instruction was absolutely top notch. You can learn a lot about car control and gain a realistic assessment of your own abilities/need for improvement at these schools. I highly recommend that you check with the BMW club in Canada or perhaps explore whether you can attend schools offered by the BMWCCA in the US.
Thanks for this (!), it is helpful and encouraging to hear from someone who has actually taken BMWCCA (I am also a new member there) courses. The trick, for now, is that I don't have a car that would be suitable for the track so I am limited to schools that provide the cars until I take delivery of my M3 (no guessing here). I apologize for not making this fact front and center in my note. The BMWCCA courses are a lot more $ than the ones offered locally but from your experiences, but I can see they are well worth it. I will definitely follow up on your advice for after July. Plus I get to explore parts of the US I haven't yet seen (road trip!). Enjoy your E46 M3 (spring will be here soon).
K.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Kafka
Private
Canada
Rep

Solid advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
I can only comment on the above....each school/organization or course has its own style & each time you attend you have to have an open mind knowing that it maybe be different from what your used to...it really doesn't matter what your weapon of choice is (BMW, P-car, ect ect) the principles & techniques are all the same but of course you have to adjust to/for the car/track/conditions ect...

I have not taken any "car" driving courses but I have taken many motorcycle courses & have many many trackdays under my belt & each time a take a course or go to a trackday I learn something new the most important thing is to have fun

I'm not sure if any other course clashes w/ the BMW courses but you will be a better driver after any course (hopefully), HTH

Bill
Bill,
What you say sounds good. Regardless of the sequence of courses one can only enjoy the thrill of driving, meeting some cool people, and (hopefully - can't get worse) improving one's skills to add to art of driving. With these kinds of feed back I'm encouraged to just "do it". As soon as I know my schedule I will book a course for the late summer or early Fall (Arizona or Colorado would be ideal as I expect to be around there for a month or so). I can already see, from the responses to my post, that there is a large group of (BMW) "driving" people compared to my smaller locale. Glad I joined this forum. Cool.

Bike track courses, must be like flying!

Thanks for the input.
K.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Kafka, what part of Canada are you in? I have some info on the BMW Car Club of Ottawa. They have a brand new track nearby.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 06:31 AM   #7
Kafka
Private
Canada
Rep

I'm in Calgary. New track new Ottawa, sounds interesting.
I'm heading toward buying a 2004 M3 Cabriolet. It's the only M3 available and I realize the convertible is not the best option for the track. But at least I will have some fun driving and pick up some skills (how many, we'll see) while I wait for the 2008 arrival (2009 I think given my spot on the list).

I've heard that some BMW driving schools don't allow convertibles. Have you, or anyone else, heard anything about this rule?

Thanks for the info and reply.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Arizona/Colorado

Here is a good school in the vicinity. You can stay in Las Vegas if you want. I drive this track all the time -- it's very fun. The Corvettes are similar to the M3 in that they are rear wheel drive and have plenty of power. You can also drive the new C6 Z06 in this school, even in the level one school.

http://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/

Also, if you can't get to a track, and even when you do... read "Going Faster" by Carl Lopez/Skip Barber. Amazing book for anyone who goes to the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
Kafka
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Here is a good school in the vicinity. You can stay in Las Vegas if you want. I drive this track all the time -- it's very fun. The Corvettes are similar to the M3 in that they are rear wheel drive and have plenty of power. You can also drive the new C6 Z06 in this school, even in the level one school.

http://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/

Also, if you can't get to a track, and even when you do... read "Going Faster" by Carl Lopez/Skip Barber. Amazing book for anyone who goes to the track.
Thanks Hans.
I expect to be in the Denver area for a couple of months, with some side trips to Arizona and New Mexico, so this is useful information.
I took your advice and ordered the book.
Enjoy the driving.
K.

Last edited by Kafka; 03-03-2007 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0