BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #1
VrooM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Car doesn’t have electrical power, HELP

For a few days, the car would at times not unlock the door, and when i would do it manually with the key in the door, it would not have power locks etc, not turn anything on when i put the key in the ignition.

I was reading elsewhere that it may be the receiver for the FOB, wanted some insight from you guys before i ordered the part. Upon inspection, i noticed the battery area had flooded and submerged the battery halfway in water. I uninstalled the battery, drained the water and cleaned any rust buildup, the power lead to the starter had rusted and i cleaned and reinstalled it. I then checked all the fuses on top of the battery and all had continuity.

Anything else i should check or is it most likely the IBS or is it the CAS?

I let the battery charge while it was out and it held a full 13.5V, i then checked continuity from the engine bay power leads (where you connect a trickle charger) and there was consistent voltage across to the battery without any drop.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 06:11 AM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrooM3 View Post
For a few days, the car would at times not unlock the door, and when i would do it manually with the key in the door, it would not have power locks etc, not turn anything on when i put the key in the ignition.

I was reading elsewhere that it may be the receiver for the FOB, wanted some insight from you guys before i ordered the part. Upon inspection, i noticed the battery area had flooded and submerged the battery halfway in water. I uninstalled the battery, drained the water and cleaned any rust buildup, the power lead to the starter had rusted and i cleaned and reinstalled it. I then checked all the fuses on top of the battery and all had continuity.

Anything else i should check or is it most likely the IBS or is it the CAS?

I let the battery charge while it was out and it held a full 13.5V, i then checked continuity from the engine bay power leads (where you connect a trickle charger) and there was consistent voltage across to the battery without any drop.
Bummer with the water coming in, seen it before so seems not uncommon. As long as the water "only" reached half way maybe it actually haven't shorted anything. Did you read about the battery cable re-call? Haven't experienced this myself but read about cars that went completely dead, however in this case easy fix once identified.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
VrooM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Bummer with the water coming in, seen it before so seems not uncommon. As long as the water "only" reached half way maybe it actually haven't shorted anything. Did you read about the battery cable re-call? Haven't experienced this myself but read about cars that went completely dead, however in this case easy fix once identified.

Good luck!
Tnx for the reply, didn’t seem like it damaged any fuses as there was continuity when i checked with a multimeter, same for the power cable recall. If it was a dead connection, there shouldn’t be any continuity to the engine bay, but hey maybe i’m mistaking, so i’ll double check.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
VrooM3
Private
Rep

Anyone? Should i just order the CAS? Any way to check the IBS?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:29 AM   #5
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Get a new battery? - if it was doing the weak unlock thing for a few days, the battery could have been on its way out anyway.

Are you saying it just doesn't have any power anywhere? If so it sounds like you need to dig into/behind the dash fuse box etc. If the water corroded the positive lead there's a chance you had a dead short

iirc continuity to the large engine bay jump start post is a separate circuit

This sounds a lot like the B+ connection issue this guy had

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...=661556&page=2

Last edited by Richbot; 01-13-2020 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 02:23 AM   #6
VrooM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Get a new battery? - if it was doing the weak unlock thing for a few days, the battery could have been on its way out anyway.

Are you saying it just doesn't have any power anywhere? If so it sounds like you need to dig into/behind the dash fuse box etc. If the water corroded the positive lead there's a chance you had a dead short

iirc continuity to the large engine bay jump start post is a separate circuit

This sounds a lot like the B+ connection issue this guy had

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...=661556&page=2
Much appreciated, i’ll look into those options.
Appreciate 0