BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

12-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
MPG_LOL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Switching out brake pads for the track - is it worth it?

I am going to be taking my car on its first track day soon.
I have heard stories about how bad our stock brakes are at the track, and how the stock components wear out quickly.
I recently replaced the rotors and pads with OEM components.
Would like to minimize the wear on these components if possible

It it worth buying a set of pads to use at the track?
I want to save the life of my current pads since I recently dropped $$ replacing all 4 pads and rotors.

Any advise would be appreciated. I am open to having a set of pads to swap in for track driving,, which I might start doing a few times a year.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you're planning on going to several more track days, it would make sense financially to get the PFC 08 pads.

If you're not, your stock pads are cheaper to replace than just one axle of endurance track pads. Limit the number of consecutive hot laps per session and do at least one to two good cool down laps between hot laps so your stock brakes and you survive. All but the toughest pad deposits should wipe away with paper towel and very fine sandpaper.

This thread might be helpful to review -

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1669516
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

For the first time, just stay stock. Just make sure your brake fluid is fresh or you have Castrol SRF. You think you'll be going fast, but really, you won't be for a few events.

A good street and decent track pad is the Stoptech street/sport pad.
Eventually, you'll want track pads and eventually a BBK.
Which track are you going to?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Depends on how hard you push it. Stock brakes didn't work for me so I upgraded to DTC 70 pads and it was a drastic difference in how fun my day was.
      12-07-2019, 01:08 AM   #5
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Track pads are a good investment. You're more likely to overheat stock pads and waste time cooling them down (or even wasting the whole day) at the track.

Same for brake fluid.

That said, depending on how quickly you learn - or how much you overdrive the car - stock brakes may be sufficient for your first couple of times at track.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 02:28 AM   #6
_paolo
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Yes definitely have a set of track pads if you're going to be doing track days a few times a year. I am on GLOC R10/R8 track pads and I get no fade vs street pads, I'd get brake fade after a couple of hot laps. On a side note, I would also recommend a set of track wheels.
      12-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
MPG_LOL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
For the first time, just stay stock. Just make sure your brake fluid is fresh or you have Castrol SRF. You think you'll be going fast, but really, you won't be for a few events.

A good street and decent track pad is the Stoptech street/sport pad.
Eventually, you'll want track pads and eventually a BBK.
Which track are you going to?
willow springs, both the big track and the Streets.

I guess I'll just go for the pads! I'm not a total novice track driver, will be taking it easy as I get used to the car but purposely slowing down and then doing extra cooling laps does not sound fun.

Any brake fluid recommendations? I've heard Endless is good.
Thanks for the advice guys
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I see. First time for this car.
Then you may want to swap pads if you've got more than 10 track days under your belt.

Which fluid to run depends on how much work you want to put into it.
If you're going to flush regularly, then any decent fluid is ok. I've run Ate in the past but was bleeding/flushing regularly.
I was going to run Castrol SRF and just leave it in all year since the wet boiling point is much higher than anything else, but there was a shortage and had to put Motul 600 in this time. As long as you don't cook SRF, it'll last months. My friend who races Spec e46 doesn't change it unless the pedal doesn't feel right or it's been a year.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:02 AM   #9
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Endless RF650. Best pedal feel in the business.
Appreciate 0