BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

06-17-2016, 10:18 PM   #1
///MTex
Rep
Drives: '15 Azurite Black F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Running rough with P2316, P2319

I'm currently seeing an "Engine malfunction. Reduced power" and/or "Increased Emissions" message with really rough riding conditions. I suspect I'm getting intermittent cylinders firing. I pulled the codes and received the following :
  • P2316 - IGNITION COIL "F" PRIMARY CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH
  • P2319 - IGNITION COIL "G" PRIMARY CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH
  • P0111 - INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE
I figured the P2316 and P2319 errors were caused by bad ignition coils on cylinders 6 and 7 (F & G = 6 & 7 letters of the alphabet?) so I replaced those coils today. However, the errors still persist.

I want to make sure I'm replacing the right coils. Does anyone know if the the cylinder letters on the codes translate to the cylinder numbers? I doubt it's related to firing order but who knows?

Also, I'm thinking P0111 is caused by the other two errors but I'm not sure about that. I thought it would be wise to resolve the first two errors and then see if the third error went away. Unless someone has other suggestions?

Last edited by ///MTex; 06-18-2016 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
Xusem3
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 m3

Hello, Did you ever figure out what the issue was? im having the same issue with these 2 codes and so far i cant find any help on the fourms. Please update this and let us know. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MTex View Post
I'm currently seeing an "Engine malfunction. Reduced power" and/or "Increased Emissions" message with really rough riding conditions. I suspect I'm getting intermittent cylinders firing. I pulled the codes and received the following :
  • P2316 - IGNITION COIL "F" PRIMARY CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH
  • P2319 - IGNITION COIL "G" PRIMARY CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH
  • P0111 - INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE
I figured the P2316 and P2319 errors were caused by bad ignition coils on cylinders 6 and 7 (F & G = 6 & 7 letters of the alphabet?) so I replaced those coils today. However, the errors still persist.

I want to make sure I'm replacing the right coils. Does anyone know if the the cylinder letters on the codes translate to the cylinder numbers? I doubt it's related to firing order but who knows?

Also, I'm thinking P0111 is caused by the other two errors but I'm not sure about that. I thought it would be wise to resolve the first two errors and then see if the third error went away. Unless someone has other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
///MTex
Rep
Drives: '15 Azurite Black F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I should have posted the solution to this earlier, but I thought my situation was unique, especially since no one else seems to have had the same issues. My car may have had these issues because I had to replace my engine about 1.5 yrs ago due to rod bearing damage. Since then, I've had to deal with a number of issues, this being one of them.

The codes indicated there was a problem with the coils. I tried new coils, but the problem didn't go away. I finally took it to my local indy shop. They worked through a similar diagnostic test, but couldn't find anything wrong w/the coils. From there, they decided to focus on combustion rather than ignition, looking for air leaks or poor fuel delivery.

Eventually, they found a couple of the injectors were not seated properly. They raised and cleaned the injectors and ports, reseated them properly, and this solved all of the problems. I can only theorize that this problem was due to complications of the engine replacement so it may not be the same solution for you, but the diagnostic process may be helpful in resolving your issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:43 AM   #4
E46tknv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

I have the same issue as well but with ignition coil B and C. I swapped injectors and code stayed at the same cylinder.
Appreciate 0