BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

BPM

01-02-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
Shan75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 (MY10) BMW M3 E90

Exhaust system - do I remove and replace or modify the existing Eisenmann System?

Hi Guys,

My 2009 E90 M3 came with an Eisenmann system.
I believe it is the Performance race system with Lemans tips.

I love the sound this thing makes, but unfortunately my wife does not. She has been giving me a fair bit of stick about it over the last couple of months and as much as I hate saying it, I have given in. I was hoping she would be accustomed to the sound, but I am now sick of arguing about it.

So....wondering realistically what my options are?

Clearly it is a well made system,so ideally want to avoid having to replace it completely.

Is there a way I and make this thing a little more quiet? Appreciate in doing so, will likely reduce the performance of the unit, but wondering what can be done.

Also - in the event I need to sell the system - what would it be worth here in Oz?

Cheers,
Shanan
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
S65_Screamer
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan75 View Post
Hi Guys,

My 2009 E90 M3 came with an Eisenmann system.
I believe it is the Performance race system with Lemans tips.

I love the sound this thing makes, but unfortunately my wife does not. She has been giving me a fair bit of stick about it over the last couple of months and as much as I hate saying it, I have given in. I was hoping she would be accustomed to the sound, but I am now sick of arguing about it.
Well there's your first problem...stand firm. It's your car and your toy. If she doesn't like it, she can always take the bus

Quote:
So....wondering realistically what my options are?

Clearly it is a well made system,so ideally want to avoid having to replace it completely.

Is there a way I and make this thing a little more quiet? Appreciate in doing so, will likely reduce the performance of the unit, but wondering what can be done.
Does your system still have primary & secondary cats? Maybe just secondary? If that's the case, adding cats will severely dampen the sound.

In terms of systems, Eisenmann is up there with Akrapovic.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 11:10 PM   #3
Qikish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 MY11 ZCP

Such a tough situation to be in, adding cats would definitely dull it but not sure if it would be enough to to please the missus.
Eisenmann exhausts are loud, I am sure there is a buyer who would pay good money for it if it is in good condition, you could maybe take the profit and buy something like the M Power Inconel exhaust? Which sounds beautiful at wide open throttle but sounds standard at idle which will keep the wife happy?

Price wise(just looking at new prices in the US) is 2.3k vs 2.7k for the Eisenmann so you could sell your exhaust and buy one or look for someone who wants to swap.

Alternative is to buy your wife noise cancelling headphones.
      01-04-2020, 03:49 AM   #4
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
There are two models of these, race and sport. You can identity the race spec by shining a torch in the rear tips and you can see if it goes straight through without baffles. This model is a lot louder (and has more drone) than the sport version but you might be able to calm it by fitting valves on a pair of the outlets (inner or outer)
To test this try blocking the outside pair of pipes first, then the inner pair to see what gives the better results. Try driving it (moderately) with that pair closed off to see if you are satisfied with the results.
If this works for you its possible to then fit a set of valves with remote control to open and close the valves at will.
As other said check to see of the car has an aftermarket X pipe or test pipes have been fitted
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 05:31 PM   #5
Shan75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys!

I will take some photos and post them up shortly - get some opinions on what my options are. Really appreciate the input.

I am pretty sure these are the race version, but will confirm. The original owner also has some sort of Gonzo spiral vortex kit installed in the pipes also.....supposed to increase the flow of air out of the exhaust? Way too fancy for a guy like me to understand, but yeah.....I don't think he cut any corners.

Photos coming.....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #6
Shan75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here are the pics.

Looks like it is a race version.

Can't see inside due to the gonzo spiral inserts - although these are removable.
Looks like those inserts could do with a clean-up and powder coat anyways....might get onto that.

Looks like a active autowerke x-pipe as well......did not even know that was on there. Previous owner never told me....only had the car a little while.

Would like to hear more about the valve options I could install and what the likely result in noise reduction would be?

Any other options based on my config you guys could suggest?
Attached Images

Last edited by Shan75; 01-04-2020 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 04:16 AM   #7
M3 hacker
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

I think those spiral inserts would be there in an effort to make it more quiet. I think only option you have is to sell the Eisemann rear box (which would be easy) and get a stock rear muffler or something more quiet.
I’ve got the Remus sport rear muffler and find its perfect for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 08:19 AM   #8
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Looks like there is no secondary cats on that after market xpipes. Primary cats (unless they are hallowed out) are in place and there are a set of resonators.

So swapping out the xpipe and installing a stock xpipe is an option to reduce sound levels.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #9
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

Just a view but back boxes are where you need to focus if you want to reduce the db's.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:54 AM   #10
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Here are the pics.

Looks like it is a race version.

Can't see inside due to the gonzo spiral inserts - although these are removable.
Looks like those inserts could do with a clean-up and powder coat anyways....might get onto that.

Looks like a active autowerke x-pipe as well......did not even know that was on there. Previous owner never told me....only had the car a little while.

Would like to hear more about the valve options I could install and what the likely result in noise reduction would be?

Any other options based on my config you guys could suggest?
I’d remove those “cones” they should not be in there under load. To test valve compatibility as mentioned completely block off a pair of pipes, probably the outer pair, but still test the inner pair for good measure. This is particular muffler sounds awesome from the street but is hard to live with especially as a daily. You could fit valves but you might be better off selling this and replacing it with something quieter. The sport version of this is quieter than the race but there area lot of alternatives depending on the type of sound you want from raspy to deep.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 07:01 PM   #11
Shan75
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am thinking I might sell the Eisenmann Race. Seems to be the only way to ensure the outcome I need.

I’ll keep the x pipe, just replace the rear section.

I looked into the m performance inconel - I think this would be about right for me.

I also prefer the factory look underneath....filling out all the right voids...

Thanks for the comments guys - much appreciate.

Will our up the Eisenmann FS once it is off the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 01:25 AM   #12
Qikish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 MY11 ZCP

I don't think you will struggle to find an E90 owner to snap it up
      01-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #13
Shan75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Agreed - seems to be a pretty popular item.... Still gutted I have to take it off to be honest.....

Is what it is.

Got an OEM used muffler for $200, so will tie me over until I have enough coin to replace it with something better....
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:18 PM   #14
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Sounds like you need a new wife. Even though mine doesn't care of the Akrapovic added volume, she sure does love the way it sounds in the higher RPMs.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #15
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Try Corsa. it's not raspy at all, no drone, maybe that's what she does not like.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:10 AM   #16
Shan75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys.

Appreciate all the input.....

I would consider a new wife, but then I would lose the car in divorce.

A man can’t win sometimes... ; )
Appreciate 0