BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

06-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #287
ludalex
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
Kremersino unit definitely works with steering wheel controls. Volume and Track up/down and phone button work. But Voice command button doesn't invoke Siri as you pointed out.
It also does start automatically on engine start, but doesn't go into Carplay mode until you press the Menu button for a few seconds.
I've updated the list, thanks.
By starting on engine start I actually meant automatically going into CarPlay mode without user interaction. This is a big plus for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:48 AM   #288
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludalex View Post
By starting on engine start I actually meant automatically going into CarPlay mode without user interaction. This is a big plus for me.
Gotcha...there's probably a way to do this with the Kremersino unit, or to get a SW update to do it. They just sent me a SW update to address the reversing issue I have on occasion. I haven't installed the update yet but will later today.
      06-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #289
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Unichip (wired)
reselled by Carlinkit

+ connects to OEM microphone
+ can use steering wheel voice command button to invoke Siri
- it's wired only
I just chatted with Unichip, they claim their CIC wireless carplay will be available to order next week.. No installation manual available yet, but they did state that it will use a separate microphone.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #290
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
I just chatted with Unichip, they claim their CIC wireless carplay will be available to order next week.. No installation manual available yet, but they did state that it will use a separate microphone.

It would be interesting with to see if UniChip uses a QuadLock connector or using iDrive.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:05 PM   #291
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
It would be interesting with to see if UniChip uses a QuadLock connector or using iDrive.
I've seen this Quadlock vs. iDrive come up a few times.. I know what the Quadlock harness is behind the CIC unit - pardon my ignorance but what is the difference if it uses Quadlock vs. iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #292
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Kremersino unit definitely works with steering wheel controls. Volume and Track up/down and phone button work. But Voice command button doesn't invoke Siri as you pointed out.
It also does start automatically on engine start, but doesn't go into Carplay mode until you press the Menu button for a few seconds.
Interestingly, I noticed that when I went to apply the kremersino update, the system did start up in CarPlay mode. I thought I had noticed this before as well but wasn't sure if it was doing it all the time. I need to experiment and confirm whether it does it every time, or just when I plug in the usb, etc
      06-28-2019, 10:23 PM   #293
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Interestingly, I noticed that when I went to apply the kremersino update, the system did start up in CarPlay mode. I thought I had noticed this before as well but wasn't sure if it was doing it all the time. I need to experiment and confirm whether it does it every time, or just when I plug in the usb, etc
My Limicet (JoyeAuto) box doesn't go into CarPlay mode automatically, and has an external mic, but the external mic is HORRIBLE when driving.

Any way to use OEM mic? These models that use OEM mic, how is it wired?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #294
ludalex
Rep

Quote:
Ah, interesting. Keep us up to date so I can update the list. I might make a new thread but there is already a similiar one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmcclelland View Post
My Limicet (JoyeAuto) box doesn't go into CarPlay mode automatically, and has an external mic, but the external mic is HORRIBLE when driving.

Any way to use OEM mic? These models that use OEM mic, how is it wired?
Your JoyeAuto is wired, right? Cause wireless JoyeAuto's manufacturer should be IDCORE and not Limicet, weird.
Also, what do you mean the external mic is horrible when driving? Other people confirmed that it's very close to the OEM one.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #295
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Ah, interesting. Keep us up to date so I can update the list. I might make a new thread but there is already a similiar one.

Your JoyeAuto is wired, right? Cause wireless JoyeAuto's manufacturer should be IDCORE and not Limicet, weird.
Also, what do you mean the external mic is horrible when driving? Other people confirmed that it's very close to the OEM one.

He has the previous Wired JoyeAuto prior to wireless existence.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:36 AM   #296
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Since the update, my unit is starting up in Carplay mode every time now. And the reversing issue (where it wouldn't always go into OEM PDC reverse mode) is fixed.
      07-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #297
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I haven't noticed any issues with heat but then again I haven't put my hand under the glovebox to check or anything. I did have the one episode of Spotify cutting in and out and the system being laggy once but it hasn't happened since that one time.

Thanks for the suggestion on routing the cables. I was trying to get that slotted cover off but I couldn't figure out how to pry it off so I gave up. apparently too soon!
You have to take the e-brake boot off and you can undo the clips from here to remove that cover.

Also it sounds like your unit is better supported on the updates. I asked JoyeAuto about this and they claim they will provide updates to support any issues. But as other have said, their claims to support will fall on deaf ears after they already have your money and sent you a unit. My unit is working fine for now, but I fear in the future I'll have to buy another unit.

I wonder if they can develop something that includes wireless connection, OEM microphone, GPS antenna and sound system integration. Probably too complicated.
      07-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #298
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7en View Post
You have to take the e-brake boot off and you can undo the clips from here to remove that cover.

Also it sounds like your unit is better supported on the updates. I asked JoyeAuto about this and they claim they will provide updates to support any issues. But as other have said, their claims to support will fall on deaf ears after they already have your money and sent you a unit. My unit is working fine for now, but I fear in the future I'll have to buy another unit.

I wonder if they can develop something that includes wireless connection, OEM microphone, GPS antenna and sound system integration. Probably too complicated.
It is 100% possible for someone to make a box that will plug into the MOST Bus and emulate the CD changer to get high quality audio. Then they can provide an OEM mic that you could stick in the second microphone slot in the dome light. But all of that costs more money for a box that is already expensive.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #299
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7en View Post

Ah, OK, thanks. I guess it's moot at this stage given I've already drilled the glovebox but good to know for others looking to do this.

Yeah the support from Kremersino seems pretty good so far.

Yeah sound system and mic integration would be much more useful for sound quality. I really wonder why that's not possible but imagine there's probably signifcant coding or programming that would have to happen.
      07-03-2019, 04:01 PM   #300
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Anyone else order the Kremersino unit off AliExpress?

Finally bit the bullet and put in the order, but just shows my payment as "being verified".

EDIT: Changed to "Awaiting Shipment - Processing Time remaining: 4 days 23 hours 26 minutes". Woo!
Attached Images

Last edited by MJBO; 07-03-2019 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
derbo3605.50
PACarGuy677.50
      07-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #301
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Anyone else order the Kremersino unit off AliExpress?

Finally bit the bullet and put in the order, but just shows my payment as "being verified".

EDIT: Changed to "Awaiting Shipment - Processing Time remaining: 4 days 23 hours 26 minutes". Woo!
got mine within 5 days shipped via DHL to US.

I just installed mine this weekend after reading PACarGuy review. So far no complains and surprised on how easy the install was.

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy677.50
      07-06-2019, 06:59 AM   #302
ludalex
Rep

My JoyeAuto Wireless NBT for my F20 will be here soon and I wanted to ask you guys who gave it:

- do you need to route the AUX cable inside the armrest compartment to plug it? If so, is there a video somehow? Cause their installation videos don’t show it.
- is there a video to show how to properly route the microphone next to where the OEM one is?
- where does the female USB connector goes? In the armrest compartment?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #303
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My JoyeAuto Wireless NBT for my F20 will be here soon and I wanted to ask you guys who gave it:

- do you need to route the AUX cable inside the armrest compartment to plug it? If so, is there a video somehow? Cause their installation videos don’t show it.
- is there a video to show how to properly route the microphone next to where the OEM one is?
- where does the female USB connector goes? In the armrest compartment?
- You don't have to route the AUX cable inside the armrest, but it will be much cleaner if you do. If you don't, you'll have it running from somewhere under the passenger dash all the way across to the armrest outside the center console. It will be odd that way and look messy.
- I posted earlier a video showing how to loosen the headliner and pop out the upper mic/lighting/bluetooth mic console to route the new mic wire and mount the new mic next to the OEM one. It's pretty easy actually. Just remember to pop out the inside black mic panel cover so that the sound is not blocked to the new mic.
- The female USB compartment goes either in the glove compartment or in the armrest. I put mine in the armrest because I added a USB split dongle to get more charging power from the cigarette lighter in the armrest.

Last edited by PACarGuy; 07-06-2019 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #304
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M BROK3 View Post
got mine within 5 days shipped via DHL to US.

I just installed mine this weekend after reading PACarGuy review. So far no complains and surprised on how easy the install was.
Great to hear. I exchanged a few messages with the seller on the AliExpress app to confirm which iDrive I have and my address, and it should now be on its way. He sent me the install “guide”, but I think the vids I’ve watched will be more helpful!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:46 AM   #305
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
The install guide if anyone wants to read before purchase
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW CIC Installation Manual English Version.pdf (4.49 MB, 756 views)
Appreciate 1
derbo3605.50
      07-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #306
ludalex
Rep

Quote:
- You don't have to route the AUX cable inside the armrest, but it will be much cleaner if you do. If you don't, you'll have it running from somewhere under the passenger dash all the way across to the armrest outside the center console. It will be odd that way and look messy.
- I posted earlier a video showing how to loosen the headliner and pop out the upper mic/lighting/bluetooth mic console to route the new mic wire and mount the new mic next to the OEM one. It's pretty easy actually. Just remember to pop out the inside black mic panel cover so that the sound is not blocked to the new mic.
- The female USB compartment goes either in the glove compartment or in the armrest. I put mine in the armrest because I added a USB split dongle to get more charging power from the cigarette lighter in the armrest.
- Ok. For both USB and AUX though I couldn't find any video/tutorial to explain how you route those cables to the armrest. Do I need to drill a hole?
- Yep saw that. Although what's the most convenient way to route the mic cable from the console to the headliner is not shown in the video. I do remember seeing an installation tutorial on YouTube showing just that but I can't seem to find it.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #307
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
- Ok. For both USB and AUX though I couldn't find any video/tutorial to explain how you route those cables to the armrest. Do I need to drill a hole?
- Yep saw that. Although what's the most convenient way to route the mic cable from the console to the headliner is not shown in the video. I do remember seeing an installation tutorial on YouTube showing just that but I can't seem to find it.
Thanks
- as explained earlier in the thread, you just run both cables under the center console and into the armrest either through the slotted cover on the driver's side of the armrest (you have to pop out the cover by removing the e-brake leather boot), or by drilling a hole in the armrest.
- The video shows how to loosen the headliner so you can tuck the cable into it. To run it from the headliner to the dash, I just tucked the mic cable behind the a-pillar trim cover. First pull the rubber molding off so you can get better access to it.
      07-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #308
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Thanks
Quote:
- as explained earlier in the thread, you just run both cables under the center console and into the armrest either through the slotted cover on the driver's side of the armrest (you have to pop out the cover by removing the e-brake leather boot), or by drilling a hole in the armrest.
- The video shows how to loosen the headliner so you can tuck the cable into it. To run it from the headliner to the dash, I just tucked the mic cable behind the a-pillar trim cover. First pull the rubber molding off so you can get better access to it.
Removing the A pillar cover is super easy, there is a screw under the "Airbag" plastic cover(it just pops out) and then 2 plastic clips in the bottom.

Then you can pop the side of the dash with a trim tool, also held on with clips and fish the wire down from side to under the glovebox.

I also ordered a rear view camera to install directly with the unit without an emulator, hopefully that will work and this setup will be perfect.

Note on sound, you can get pretty decent sound out of the system if you mess with the spotify equalizer and the in car equalizer, keeping the volume low on the AUX input has worked well for me and also added the below ground loop isolator to reduce static from the AUX input at high volume levels:

https://smile.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground...s%2C181&sr=8-3

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy677.50