BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

Mporium BMW

01-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
mrspecter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

Driving in NY without front plate

I've had my M3 for a year now and I've been driving without a front plate and there really hasn't been any major issues. I will say that I have been pulled over twice by Nassau County cops two blocks from my house, but both times they let me go without even asking for my license or registration because I have a PBA card from a friend who is a Nassau County cop.

For those who are familiar with Long Island and the NYC metro area, I often drive through Queens either locally or on the Parkways and I've never been pulled over by NYPD or State Troopers, but I'm wondering if I'll run into an issue if I ever have to drive through Manhattan. There have always been NYPD camped outside of the QMT for as long as I can remember, but within the last year or so I've noticed the presence of state troopers waiting at the tunnels as well. I heard that the troopers are on the lookout for people trying to evade the new cashless toll system so my car would be an obvious target with no front plate.

For those who live in this NYC metro area, can you shed some light on your experiences?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:46 PM   #2
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspecter View Post
I've had my M3 for a year now and I've been driving without a front plate and there really hasn't been any major issues. I will say that I have been pulled over twice by Nassau County cops two blocks from my house, but both times they let me go without even asking for my license or registration because I have a PBA card from a friend who is a Nassau County cop.

For those who are familiar with Long Island and the NYC metro area, I often drive through Queens either locally or on the Parkways and I've never been pulled over by NYPD or State Troopers, but I'm wondering if I'll run into an issue if I ever have to drive through Manhattan. There have always been NYPD camped outside of the QMT for as long as I can remember, but within the last year or so I've noticed the presence of state troopers waiting at the tunnels as well. I heard that the troopers are on the lookout for people trying to evade the new cashless toll system so my car would be an obvious target with no front plate.

For those who live in this NYC metro area, can you shed some light on your experiences?
Used to live in Manhattan. I ran a euro plate for a while, but after getting my bumper repainted I didn't drill holes. Instead I kept a front plate in my glove box. If ever pulled over, I would slide it from the glove box to my dash and perch it between the dash and the front windshield. If the cop ever faults me for it, i'd say respectfully, "I didn't want to drill in to my front bumper so I placed it here on the windshield in front, if that won't suffice I'll fix it asap." And I've never had an issue. Cops seemed to understanding not wanting to ruin the bumper, and appreciate that I would try to oblige the law with still having the plate in the front.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
mrspecter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGatsby View Post
Used to live in Manhattan. I ran a euro plate for a while, but after getting my bumper repainted I didn't drill holes. Instead I kept a front plate in my glove box. If ever pulled over, I would slide it from the glove box to my dash and perch it between the dash and the front windshield. If the cop ever faults me for it, i'd say respectfully, "I didn't want to drill in to my front bumper so I placed it here on the windshield in front, if that won't suffice I'll fix it asap." And I've never had an issue. Cops seemed to understanding not wanting to ruin the bumper, and appreciate that I would try to oblige the law with still having the plate in the front.
I was actually curious about the effectiveness of the front plate on the windshield as well. I've heard of people still getting cited because I believe that NYS law states that the front plate has to be physically attached to the front bumper or something along those lines.

Man, you're lucky now that you've moved to Florida. No front plate required and you have nice weather all year round to enjoy your M3. I'm jealous
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Only times I get tickets for no front plate were all from a metro north parking lot in Westchester. Never been pulled over yet for no front plate.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #5
mlee4984
Slow M3 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP

I got all my tickets from meter maids while street parked...

2014 Citrin Schwarz Metallic M5
2005 Interlagos Blau Metallic M3
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 06:09 AM   #6
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

I work For the city and I have A city ID, but nypd doesn’t bother me much, the state troopers posted at the tunnels and bridges will stop me if they notice it and they don’t care who you work for.

Also I dont Street park so that’s not much of an issue here..

Be respectful to nypd and 99% of the time they’ll let you go with a warning.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
shwinturbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I live in Manhattan and drive around a ton, no issue except for the state troopers at B&T...i try to hide diagonally from then behind an SUV haha
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Never got pulled over while driving, but the meter maids when street parking will get you a nice no front plate ticket.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Why even risk attracting the cops attention by running no front plate? I often see people getting pulled over on the palisades, having to pull over into the muddy grass. Anywhere you risk pulling over in a crappy place you risk broken glass, rode debris on the side of the road etc. Just doesn't seem worth the hassle to me. My bumper is undrilled, I use a tow hook plate.
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

+1 on tow hook, you can also buy kits that let you mount the plate from the underside. You drill the bumper but you are drilling from the underside rather than the front (how I ended up doing it here in VA). Of course the clean front is a clean front is a clean front.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #11
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Why even risk attracting the cops attention by running no front plate? I often see people getting pulled over on the palisades, having to pull over into the muddy grass. Anywhere you risk pulling over in a crappy place you risk broken glass, rode debris on the side of the road etc. Just doesn't seem worth the hassle to me. My bumper is undrilled, I use a tow hook plate.
i was running a tow hook plate because the parking maids in my village will always ticket me. recently i took it off and seems like the old maid wasn't there anymore or maybe he/she eased up, i don't get ticket anymore on my village lot, and i also never had a experience of getting pull over because of no front plate.

i actually got a slight scratch from the tow hook plate, maybe someone's car bump me slightly in a parking spot at some point... and i also love the look of no plate, always found the asymmetric look of tow hook plate not very appealing...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #12
BWB
Rep
Drives: Too many cars, never enough.

Try this
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #13
mrspecter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwinturbo View Post
I live in Manhattan and drive around a ton, no issue except for the state troopers at B&T...i try to hide diagonally from then behind an SUV haha
That's funny cause I use a similar technique on the parkways too when I'm coming up on common speed traps.

Did it really work out or did the trooper give you a ticket?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #14
mrspecter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
I work For the city and I have A city ID, but nypd doesn’t bother me much, the state troopers posted at the tunnels and bridges will stop me if they notice it and they don’t care who you work for.

Also I dont Street park so that’s not much of an issue here..

Be respectful to nypd and 99% of the time they’ll let you go with a warning.
Are you saying you've been stopped before by the troopers and given a ticket before?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #15
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you saying you've been stopped before by the troopers and given a ticket before?
Yes it’s happened multiple times, the state troopers are in NYC to give people a hard time and put a pinch on the major since the mayor and the governor have a beef so take it out of the people.

It’s only $60, I usually plead not guilt and submit a story online. At the end of the day I’m not putting a front plate on my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #16
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
Yes it’s happened multiple times, the state troopers are in NYC to give people a hard time and put a pinch on the major since the mayor and the governor have a beef so take it out of the people.

It’s only $60, I usually plead not guilt and submit a story online. At the end of the day I’m not putting a front plate on my car.
curious what kind of story you usually provide for no front plate... "it fell off"?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #17
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
curious what kind of story you usually provide for no front plate... "it fell off"?
Use your imagination say the car was parked on the street and someone backed into it, those cheap brackets just fall apart you know.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #18
KhaledKharma
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP

Drive in manhattan almost weekly. Got pulled over once for my front plate. But I think it was a bullshit stop (that’s another story). Anyway, all my paperwork was legit and he let me go. You should be fine but at you’re own risk of course
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #19
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

You could always vote out those looney liberals and have them change the laws to resemble some common sense about only needing one plate. Even better, you could move to a southern state which only requires a single plate.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #20
Nazty Naze One!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
You could always vote out those looney liberals and have them change the laws to resemble some common sense about only needing one plate. Even better, you could move to a southern state which only requires a single plate.
Mr practical
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #21
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

there's a 3m large size Velcro kit available for uk plates (so it works), no US kit of course, but the Velcro is available on its own, just need to find a plate holder that has flat back. I have clear bra on my bumper so I don't mind sticking this on, rather than drilling holes

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #22
E46tknv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

Quote:
I had my first no front plate ticket on the M3, given at 5am while sleeping and parked in front of my house(parked behind a big durango. the nerve...right?) Luckily, a simple picture of the car with plate on and it’s dismissed. I leave the plate explicitly exposed on the windshield(for shits n giggles, when parked). I have no suggestions when driving though.

If it happens again, I’ll get the tow hook bracket. Not sure how many times the picture will bail me out. Bottom line is, find a way to display it. It’s not even worth being pulled over for a plate and finding out you had more then enough drinks.
Appreciate 0