BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #155
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Bumping this up .. does anybody have the bias calcs for these F8x brakes?
And does it seem like the front calipers could fit with a custom bracket instead of the spindles?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:27 PM   #156
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
And does it seem like the front calipers could fit with a custom bracket instead of the spindles?
I am running the full set on my M3. Went with new steering knuckles instead of trying to make a bracket. Definitely can feel a difference over the stock brakes. Much firmer pedal feel.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #157
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Very nice. Yeah might splurge on the spindles/knuckles if I can find lightly used calipers for a good price. Was hoping simple brackets could be made for less than the knuckles. Did you experience a slight increase in front ride height?

The rotors are obviously better than ours, calipers can’t be worse and should give better feel. With pads/lines/fluid, this should be a solid setup for all but the track junkeys, and a pretty 4 wheel setup for the price of an ST40 front. ST40 probably better for the track, but also has more expensive replacement rotors.

Last edited by wyatth; 01-21-2019 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #158
kevin @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very nice. Yeah might splurge on the spindles/knuckles if I can find lightly used calipers for a good price. Was hoping simple brackets could be made for less than the knuckles. Did you experience a slight increase in front ride height?

The rotors are obviously better than ours, calipers can’t be worse and should give better feel. With pads/lines/fluid, this should be a solid setup for all but the track junkeys, and a pretty 4 wheel setup for the price of an ST40 front. ST40 probably better for the track, but also has more expensive replacement rotors.
Slight increase in ride height but didnt mind as I scrape everywhere.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #159
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
+1
No luck finding on F80post so far ...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 06:01 PM   #160
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
+1
No luck finding on F80post so far ...
Not really an issue since they’re coming off a vehicle with nearly identical dynamics and weight distribution.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #161
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

But different master cylinders and electronic controls, no?
I’m sure they’re close and will be fine, but data is still helpful to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #162
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
But different master cylinders and electronic controls, no?
I’m sure they’re close and will be fine, but data is still helpful to confirm.
That’s true about the master cylinder actually. I’ll try to look into it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #163
ruben_17non
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 LCI / BMW X4

please, anyone can check or say me offset of original rotor of m2/3/4?
i need "D" Measure (image is just example)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 06:45 AM   #164
ruben_17non
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 LCI / BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM3UK View Post
Hi , just joined so i can post this, i fitted these to my car back in August

Ok then, bought these back in August , a full set of F8* M3/M4 brakes , consisting of 370mm rear discs with 2 pot calipers ,380mm front discs with 4 pot calipers and also the front spindle/hub assembie's too, you need those for the front calipers as the pitch betwwen mounting lugs is smaller on the M4 as opposed to the E92 M3, I was assured from theseller that they would just bolt on so after many messages back and forth I took the plunge and bought them, I dont think anyone has done a detailed write up about fitting this brake set up so here goes

the full set along with spindles

so with the car on axle stands for a few days I stripped my front hubs/spindles off to compare to the M4 set.

back to back measuring to compare the centreline ,angle and height of how the damper will sit , its exactly the same

carefull measurements of the centrelines and angles of the balljoint holes, if this is different then its game over ! indeed they are exactly the same

Now this is the one where its slightly different, note the four holes for the wheel bearing , they sit around 4-5 mm lower on the M4 spindle, making the length from the strut top mount to the wheel centre 4-5mm longer, this will raise the car's ride height ever so slightly, we'll see later on!

also the E92 wheel bearing fits exactly to the m4 spindle, i tried it off the car first then bolted the disc on and caliper, its plug and play with no altering of the track ,the wheels sit exactly the same and i still use my 10mm spacer with no ill affect.

old spindles and front arms removed for cleaning and painting

removing bushes ready for powerflex items

painted

spindles cleaned up ready for painting, can you see where this is leading to?

coat of 2k primer

painted silver

bushes fitted

arch liners cleaned up

back on and bolted up, I marked the damper with a line around the top of the old spindle , its the same with the M4 spindle

caliper on and bled

Rears now, I measures the thickness of the discs from the mating face to the inner surface, i can comfirm they're the measuremnt on both sets of discs, the rears are plug and play with the handbrake shoes lining up perfect too!

the only thing thats required for the caliper fitment is these spacer washers between caliper and hub to centralise the caliper on the disc

caliper bolted on and bled

use also use the E92 brake hoses as theyre a direct fit

Also fitted these, a set of competition pack springs

this is how it sits with the comp pack springs and m4 brakes

I'd say its a little high in the front ,maybe due to that measurement I talked about earlier, making the centre of the wheel to the strut top 4-5mm longer due to the wheel bearing mounting holes, it was on eibachs for a bit and looked good with them fitted but the comp springs handle far superior!

bought some used Intrax springs , have to say they handle really well but a very hard ride, this is how it looks with those fitted, I think the drop is a bit low, even with the M4 spindles!

so to conclude , Im happy with the M4 brake set up, a nice solid feel with no exceess pedal travel the some BBk's can give, only thing is im looking for the holy grail of springs to give me that perfect stance with comp pack ride/handling , dont say eibachs as ive had those, KW has set maybe on the cards!
would i reccommend the M4 set up ? Yes! allthough I may paint the calipers Austin yellow one day!

Need front spacers of 10mm for new brakes in m359 wheels?
and maybe is possible adapt also brake booster of m4?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:24 PM   #165
kevin @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben_17non View Post
Shouldnt need any spacers for 359 wheels. I have seem the 359's on a M4 before without spacers and no issues.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #166
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 125i

Quote:
Quote:

Ok then, bought these back in August , a full set of F8* M3/M4 brakes , consisting of 370mm rear discs with 2 pot calipers ,380mm front discs with 4 pot calipers and also the front spindle/hub assembie's too, you need those for the front calipers as the pitch betwwen mounting lugs is smaller on the M4 as opposed to the E92 M3, I was assured from theseller that they would just bolt on so after many messages back and forth I took the plunge and bought them, I dont think anyone has done a detailed write up about fitting this brake set up so here goes

so with the car on axle stands for a few days I stripped my front hubs/spindles off to compare to the M4 set.

back to back measuring to compare the centreline ,angle and height of how the damper will sit , its exactly the same

carefull measurements of the centrelines and angles of the balljoint holes, if this is different then its game over ! indeed they are exactly the same

Now this is the one where its slightly different, note the four holes for the wheel bearing , they sit around 4-5 mm lower on the M4 spindle, making the length from the strut top mount to the wheel centre 4-5mm longer, this will raise the car's ride height ever so slightly, we'll see later on!

also the E92 wheel bearing fits exactly to the m4 spindle, i tried it off the car first then bolted the disc on and caliper, its plug and play with no altering of the track ,the wheels sit exactly the same and i still use my 10mm spacer with no ill affect.

painted

coat of 2k primer

painted silver

bushes fitted

arch liners cleaned up

back on and bolted up, I marked the damper with a line around the top of the old spindle , its the same with the M4 spindle

caliper on and bled

Rears now, I measures the thickness of the discs from the mating face to the inner surface, i can comfirm they're the measuremnt on both sets of discs, the rears are plug and play with the handbrake shoes lining up perfect too!

the only thing thats required for the caliper fitment is these spacer washers between caliper and hub to centralise the caliper on the disc

I'd say its a little high in the front ,maybe due to that measurement I talked about earlier, making the centre of the wheel to the strut top 4-5mm longer due to the wheel bearing mounting holes, it was on eibachs for a bit and looked good with them fitted but the comp springs handle far superior!

bought some used Intrax springs , have to say they handle really well but a very hard ride, this is how it looks with those fitted, I think the drop is a bit low, even with the M4 spindles!

so to conclude , Im happy with the M4 brake set up, a nice solid feel with no exceess pedal travel the some BBk's can give, only thing is im looking for the holy grail of springs to give me that perfect stance with comp pack ride/handling , dont say eibachs as ive had those, KW has set maybe on the cards!
would i reccommend the M4 set up ? Yes! allthough I may paint the calipers Austin yellow one day!

Hi,

you want to fit 380mm rotors with M4 Calipers???

i have a set of rotors+calipers& brake pads in perfect condition if you need it PM me. BR.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #167
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
[IMG]https://burkhart-engineering.com/Web..._2_282_445.jpg[/IMG]
D is around 63mm.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #168
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

We should quote KevM3UK's post again on this page.
Appreciate 5
ornicar134.50
Nguyener150.50
Silos555.50
chocstraw495.50
      06-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #169
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
: yes, lets!
      07-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #170
LAF
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3, Z3 M coupe

Quote:

painted

coat of 2k primer

painted silver

bushes fitted

arch liners cleaned up

caliper on and bled

Hi, please tell me did you have any issues with those speed sensors on the knuckles? They are positioned on the opposite place on the F80 knuckles.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #171
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF View Post
Quote:

painted

coat of 2k primer

painted silver

bushes fitted

arch liners cleaned up

caliper on and bled

Hi, please tell me did you have any issues with those speed sensors on the knuckles? They are positioned on the opposite place on the F80 knuckles.
Speed sensor Exx match 100% on M Fxx knuckles without issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #172
kevin @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had quite a bit of trouble with my DCT shifting. Very clunky shifting and the downshifts felt terrible. Just figured this out recently, if you use the positioning of the speed sensors in the M4 knuckles the car thinks the front wheels are going in reverse. The fix is rotating the sensor 180 degrees and securing to get the speed sensors going the correct direction. After that shifting was fixed and car feel smooth again. I am assuming the OP must of had a 6 speed so didnt run into that issue.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:13 AM   #173
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
Quote:
I had quite a bit of trouble with my DCT shifting. Very clunky shifting and the downshifts felt terrible. Just figured this out recently, if you use the positioning of the speed sensors in the M4 knuckles the car thinks the front wheels are going in reverse. The fix is rotating the sensor 180 degrees and securing to get the speed sensors going the correct direction. After that shifting was fixed and car feel smooth again. I am assuming the OP must of had a 6 speed so didnt run into that issue.
Correct, i have no problem with my 6 speed manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:56 AM   #174
LAF
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3, Z3 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
How did you rotate it by 180 degrees?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 07:13 AM   #175
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Someone needs to try CCBs from an f8x!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #176
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ornicar View Post
D is around 63mm.
Im trying to do an absolutely custom set up here, can someone give me the Exact measurement of the offset ("D") PLEASE, also wold like to know if there is a "lip" (little raise for Ebrake shoes) like on the E60 345mm rotor?

Really be thankful for this info guys!
Appreciate 0