BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

02-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #23
72dan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT coupe white/beige

Garage List
shaving tires

I have had wheel shake on and off with my M3 depending on the tires.
Once a bent wheel, I run Forgeline GA3R wheels.

I am not a fan of wheel spacers, they put a tremendous load on the lug nuts and I would not do it on a car that is driven aggressively or run on the track.
Get wheels with the correct offset.

I run Yokohama Advan AD08R tires currently. I don't drive my car daily. If the car hasn't been driven in a while I will get wheel shake for the first 10 miles or so as they have flat spotted temporarily.

The ultimate fix that I did on the last set was send them out to be mounted and shaved enough to make them perfectly round. 20 years ago there were more tire stores that offered shaving. It is assumed with modern radials that it is no longer necessary but they aren't always perfectly round. The more upgrades you make in terms of solid bushings, spherical rod ends, the more sensitive it will be to out of round and out of balance wheels and tires.
      02-04-2019, 12:24 AM   #24
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72dan View Post
I have had wheel shake on and off with my M3 depending on the tires.
Once a bent wheel, I run Forgeline GA3R wheels.

I am not a fan of wheel spacers, they put a tremendous load on the lug nuts and I would not do it on a car that is driven aggressively or run on the track.
Get wheels with the correct offset.

I run Yokohama Advan AD08R tires currently. I don't drive my car daily. If the car hasn't been driven in a while I will get wheel shake for the first 10 miles or so as they have flat spotted temporarily.

The ultimate fix that I did on the last set was send them out to be mounted and shaved enough to make them perfectly round. 20 years ago there were more tire stores that offered shaving. It is assumed with modern radials that it is no longer necessary but they aren't always perfectly round. The more upgrades you make in terms of solid bushings, spherical rod ends, the more sensitive it will be to out of round and out of balance wheels and tires.
Spacers don't out tremoudous force on bolts. You might need to read some on clamping forces and hub centric spacers. BMW GT4 cars run spacers and so does the factory GTS.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/t...s_spacers.aspx
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:55 AM   #25
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Spacers don't out tremoudous force on bolts. You might need to read some on clamping forces and hub centric spacers. BMW GT4 cars run spacers and so does the factory GTS.

That's what I heard too. Sure a spacer will make the problem more pronounced, but a quality hub centric spacer torqued properly shouldn't introduce a new one.
The wheels were balanced again and it seems they bolted them wrong the last time (left on the right side and vice versa). Now everything is mounted correctly, I just need to wait for the weather to get better and take it on a highway to check.
      02-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #26
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokemycocktus View Post
That's what I heard too. Sure a spacer will make the problem more pronounced, but a quality hub centric spacer torqued properly shouldn't introduce a new one.
The wheels were balanced again and it seems they bolted them wrong the last time (left on the right side and vice versa). Now everything is mounted correctly, I just need to wait for the weather to get better and take it on a highway to check.
What were your road force rates this time around?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #27
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

The same. We have checked the left rear wheel to see if it gets a better result and maybe swap it (square winter setup), but unfortunately it was around 60N too.
But now knowing the wheels were swapped left-right I am thinking that we should have checked the right rear wheel for possibility of swapping it with the front... I don't know, I'm getting tired of it. The winter ends soon anyway and I will be putting brand new ps4s on my summer 19" BBS so then I suppose we will know whether it's caused by the wheels or not.
      02-04-2019, 11:35 PM   #28
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokemycocktus View Post
The same. We have checked the left rear wheel to see if it gets a better result and maybe swap it (square winter setup), but unfortunately it was around 60N too.
But now knowing the wheels were swapped left-right I am thinking that we should have checked the right rear wheel for possibility of swapping it with the front... I don't know, I'm getting tired of it. The winter ends soon anyway and I will be putting brand new ps4s on my summer 19" BBS so then I suppose we will know whether it's caused by the wheels or not.
Man, that's still too much for a road force reading.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:21 AM   #29
72dan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT coupe white/beige

Garage List
Wheel spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post

I have to disagree. I have built cars for a long time, over 30 years. Wheel spacers move the wheel farther out on the stud just like using a longer wrench it provides more leverage, increasing loads on the stud where it threads in the hub. If the spacer fits on the hub very tight and very tight on the studs or bolts that would help.

I started as a performance mechanic in 1989 we built Datsun Z cars and I lost track of the number of wheel studs we had to drill out because the customer put in spacers and the studs broke. It was almost guaranteed on those cars.
      02-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #30
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
So I was having a steering wheel shake and found the lower control arm loose and it cause a sight ovaling at the subframe. Might check that.
      03-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #31
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Update
I have removed both front wheels, cleaned the surfaces again, and torqued the bolts with the wheel in the air - first only by hand, then a bit harder with a wrench, and then to 120Nm, all in a star pattern. The shake is completely gone, literally zero vibration. Tested at different speeds.
Torquing the bolts with the wheel in the air isn't easy, but it does a great job with centering the wheel.