BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Dead man walking

Sigh, the last of a dying breed:

Charge of the light Brigade,
Knights vs. gunpowder
The Alamo

The brave S65 M3. A bold move for M, a hulky V8 snorting and ready to go.. Cut down in it's prime by Orwellian Marxist command economy DIKTATES.
It knows the bell tolls for it, yet it still has a few months left to live. As Davy Crockett said "Damn you all to hell, I'm going to Texas." Our M3 says to "Eco-watermelons" Damn you all to hell I'm going to 8400 RPM'S!

As goes our choices to DECIDE what we want to drive and how much we are willing to pay. So goes our Liberty. We are becoming sheep, bleating for security. The nanny state knows best.

Good night sweet prince, you will be sorely missed.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

I want some of that :
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

thats deep
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Wtf?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Bubajay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver Nissan 370z

You high? If so lemme know your dealer, the stuff sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Have you been working too damn hard.......say what ............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
SGBAILEY79
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 ZCP 6MT, 2012X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post

Knights vs. gunpowder
The Alamo

The brave S65 M3. A bold move for M, a hulky V8 snorting and ready to go.. Cut down in it's prime by Orwellian Marxist command economy DIKTATES.
It knows the bell tolls for it, yet it still has a few months left to live. As Davy Crockett said "Damn you all to hell, I'm going to Texas." Our M3 says to "Eco-watermelons" Damn you all to hell I'm going to 8400 RPM'S!

As goes our choices to DECIDE what we want to drive and how much we are willing to pay. So goes our Liberty. We are becoming sheep, bleating for security. The nanny state knows best.

I agree hopefully on NOV 6th we can change this, and reverse course! If you want European liberalism move the F$#@ over there, don’t bring that shit here
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
MStar
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:

Knights vs. gunpowder
The Alamo

You sir are a scholar and a poet..to echo the words of a greater founder

Give me freedom or give me death!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Super nicely stated and couldn't agree more.

I live amongst sheeple. V8 forever.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGBAILEY79

I agree hopefully on NOV 6th we can change this, and reverse course! If you want European liberalism move the F$#@ over there, don’t bring that shit here

Ironically, European liberalism came over here on boats in 1621, trying to flee intolerance.

Let's not turn M3Post into a political forum, please. This is one outlet I like to enjoy without the bullshit of political opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

LOl, gents.. Thank you for your kind words. I'm reading too much Ayn Rand and such authors.

But really, the S65 is being killed in it's prime for IMHO non-market reasons. Oil/gas being too high not from a pure demand aspect but a command economy aspect. Outcome based thinking dictated from "on high".

BMW wanting to go along to get along to still make money killed off something special that still had a long and intersting life left. 4.4L, S/C, etc.
What would have M done to enhance the next S65 in the next M3/M4.

Ok, going out now. Just a few beers.

Who is John Galt!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

I was going to put a "Stop Global Warming" sticker on the back of mine. Mrs. wasn't impressed.

Sigh.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

RIP.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
M Pulse
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 F82

Anyone think BMW will resurrect the NA V8 in the next gen M3? If you look at the immediate competition - C63, RS5, IS-F, CTS-V - they're all V8's.

Either BMW is the leader of the pack in this segment by shifting away from the V8 or they're completely missing the boat. Guess time will tell.

I think many of us would prefer BMW to continue with the V8 in the upcoming next-gen M3. If sales go down drastically and the rest of the competition continues to have success with the V8's then BMW may not have a choice but to bring it back.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
BarryDaviso
Rep
Drives: bmw

I live amongst sheeple. V8 forever.
      10-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #16
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pulse View Post
Anyone think BMW will resurrect the NA V8 in the next gen M3? If you look at the immediate competition - C63, RS5, IS-F, CTS-V - they're all V8's.

Either BMW is the leader of the pack in this segment by shifting away from the V8 or they're completely missing the boat. Guess time will tell.

I think many of us would prefer BMW to continue with the V8 in the upcoming next-gen M3. If sales go down drastically and the rest of the competition continues to have success with the V8's then BMW may not have a choice but to bring it back.
But only if sales go down drastically. Maybe BMW read too many 335i vs M3 posts and decided to make an M335 for the sheeple.

Even Bernie Ecclestone is having second thoughts about losing the V8 sound in F1.

http://www.formula1blog.com/2012/10/...o-kill-us-all/

M3 should be a V8 or V10, and the M5 should have a V10 or V12.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #17
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Can we relocate this political bull$hit elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #18
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
RIP.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
LOl, gents.. Thank you for your kind words. I'm reading too much Ayn Rand and such authors.

But really, the S65 is being killed in it's prime for IMHO non-market reasons. Oil/gas being too high not from a pure demand aspect but a command economy aspect. Outcome based thinking dictated from "on high".

BMW wanting to go along to get along to still make money killed off something special that still had a long and intersting life left. 4.4L, S/C, etc.
What would have M done to enhance the next S65 in the next M3/M4.

Ok, going out now. Just a few beers.

Who is John Galt!
I was frustrated and angry for weeks after my first read of Atlas Shrugged and completely agree with you. It's a shame to see this motor get kicked under the carpet just because of political policies.. especially as they still pump out 7 liter corvettes with 11:1 compression over here.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

I don't think the S65 is being killed because of US political pressures so much as EU pressures and the fact that their market will likely respond better to a more fuel efficient option. Gas prices here are still relatively low but in the UK and Europe prices are much higher.

I think the blame belongs in two places; one being BMW's decision making and effort to save costs and also to give the market what they want. The enthusiasts on here unfortunately don't represent the market-at-large and I think that market is wanting more "green" options.

On BMW's end I am sure they'll save cost of fines for not meeting EU/US fleet fuel standards. But I also think this is an engineering cost savings move. There is no question that the new M3 will powerful, but it's just a rehash of the N54/N55 engine rather than a truly unique M-division engine (like the S54, S65, S85, etc) and more like the 1M which form powertrain standpoint is just a tuned 135.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #21
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pulse View Post

I've noticed this and kind of wondered about this myself. I see a lot of blame for this move being cast on US and/or EU regulators, but this seems to have been a move made pretty much under BMWs discretion, since at least some of their close competitors appear to be staying NA for now, albiet NA platforms retuned for better fuel economy.

I think the move was made by BMW as much as anything by them either trying to be market leaders and/or improve their reputation for green (efficient dynamics). The i3/i8 models would appear to be done with similar motives. Either this will be a market leading move, or they'll lose share, and rethink the strategy for the next gen M3/M4.

It certainly wouldn't be the first misreading of the market BMW has made. They've already admitted that they thought the small but loyal US wagon market would move to the GT series when they discontinued the 5 series wagon in the US. What they found instead was that no, this group really does want a wagon, when they lost sales of this market to MB and other marques that still had true wagons. It's not like the M3 has always had one signature engine style, and as someone else pointed out, they can always bring it back if sales do drop.
      10-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #22
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:

Knights vs. gunpowder
The Alamo

Calm yourself. You're going to like the new M3, as it will be better than the current model.

Strictly from a personal viewpoint, I love the noises the current V8 makes, especially as it approaches red line, but then again, I have always loved the sonorous snarl made by BMW straight sixes (with the single exception of the asthmatic rasp made by the stock E46 M3 that graced our garage), so I'm looking forward to the new one with great interest.

Bruce

PS - Hey, if you don't like the new one, just keep giving loving care to your current car. If 8400 rpm is what floats your boat, you're already in automotive nirvana, so why worry about what's next?
Appreciate 0