BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

03-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
B.Hallowell
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5

Rift?

Has anyone tried the beta? I've heard great things. I know it comes out today and I have a bunch of friends pressuring me to pick it up on my way home from work.
      03-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I played for about 30 minutes. Then lost complete interest.

Its a grind game, with a dull story, and graphics too flashy and hyper to really benefit from.
      03-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
I've been thinking to buy this game but still unsure because of the amount of subscribers vs WOW. the game is good from what I heard and read, but there are some UI complains, as well as the linear play style (ie FF13). The graphics, and soul system are great. I am going to wait for a while to read more reviews.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Played throughout beta.. I am on the Aedraxis server. Defiant side name: Ybalull

A grind? You can level by questing, instanced dungeons, rifts, or PVP. You want to be 50 as soon as you log on? I never heard people complain about the time it takes to reach max level until WOW became the popular MMO. Easymode ftl.

Last edited by NYCGP; 03-05-2011 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
Played throughout beta.. I am on the Aedraxis server. Defiant side name: Ybalull

A grind? You can level by questing, instanced dungeons, rifts, or PVP. You want to be 50 as soon as you log on? I never heard people complain about the time it takes to reach max level until WOW became the popular MMO. Easymode ftl.
Well how is it? Compared to wow that is.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep

I haven't played wow in half a decade. I don't think having me compare it to wow would be fair.

I really enjoy it. It would appear many others do as well. There aren't any glaring problems with it. The game/servers are very stable. There are already some level 50s around. I am almost 30. The content is very enjoyable. Invasions and Rifts are fun. The 2 instanced dungeons up to this point are pretty legit. Encounters are starting to get kinda tricky, which is refreshing.

Classes are very diverse and you can pretty much be whatever you want. Any type of hybrid you can think of. Normally you hear all types of complaints. I haven't heard many yet. So far so good.
      03-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

So... you liked the bit about time travel as soon as you logged in, eh? Because I thought that was pretty ridiculous in a fantasy mmo. Not to mention the rest of the story is uninspiring. I found no drive to make me want to play it.

I resent your comment about wanting the easy way to max level. If your really interested in why, PM me and I'll get into it.

In regards to WoW simplifying the MMO world, no I disagree. What simplified the MMO world are all the support websites that give all the tricks and tips away for free. The overall knowledge of the customer has gained exponentially during WoW's tenure as king. The only part that WoW is responsible for in that is simply the crazy population increase in the amount of MMO players. This larger population made the websites more profitable from advertisements and thusly more powerful in content.

In regards to the graphics, good graphics are inconsequential. What is number 1 in an MMO game is the gameplay. Graphics can be upgraded or changed with new skins, textures, or general system updates. However, the gameplay is integral. Blizzard knew this all those years ago.

In the end though, all that really matters even above gameplay is fun. So if you have fun in it, more power to you. However, I did not.
      03-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
So... you liked the bit about time travel as soon as you logged in, eh? Because I thought that was pretty ridiculous in a fantasy mmo. Not to mention the rest of the story is uninspiring. I found no drive to make me want to play it.

I resent your comment about wanting the easy way to max level. If your really interested in why, PM me and I'll get into it.

In regards to WoW simplifying the MMO world, no I disagree. What simplified the MMO world are all the support websites that give all the tricks and tips away for free. The overall knowledge of the customer has gained exponentially during WoW's tenure as king. The only part that WoW is responsible for in that is simply the crazy population increase in the amount of MMO players. This larger population made the websites more profitable from advertisements and thusly more powerful in content.

In regards to the graphics, good graphics are inconsequential. What is number 1 in an MMO game is the gameplay. Graphics can be upgraded or changed with new skins, textures, or general system updates. However, the gameplay is integral. Blizzard knew this all those years ago.

In the end though, all that really matters even above gameplay is fun. So if you have fun in it, more power to you. However, I did not.
The day they allowed you to queue up for everything without having to leave town they wrote their own death warrant. Same thing happened to EQ when they introduced the Nexus/Bazaar. The community aspect of the game disappeared.

I have been playing MMO's since UO. You name it, I probably participated in a closed or open beta. Graphics mean absolutely nothing to me. I only comment on them because it is important to some. I run all my MMOs on the lowest settings. Same deal with storylines.. I don't really pay attention to the story lines. I play for the escape factor.

The question I am going to ask is this: When you tried Rift, were you still active in WOW? If so, you are never going to be able to compare a brand new game to your current addiction.

I have absolutely no affinity for any game right now. The last game I put effort into was WAR. It was fun until they destroyed my class and we gained entrance into Cities.

You played for 10 minutes and found the story to be the reason you were not interested in the entire game. Then spent a paragraph explaining the importance of gameplay. Your decision was made before you installed the game. That is not a bad thing. We all play what we enjoy. If we can burn a few hours a day doing something we enjoy, what is the harm in it? Shit, I still enjoy going back and playing P99 from time to time. I played EQ for half a decade and I have very little memory of the storyline. But the game was/is still amazing.

Last edited by NYCGP; 03-07-2011 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The day they allowed you to queue up for everything without having to leave town they wrote their own death warrant. Same thing happened to EQ when they introduced the Nexus/Bazaar. The community aspect of the game disappeared.

I have been playing MMO's since UO. You name it, I probably participated in a closed or open beta. Graphics mean absolutely nothing to me. I only comment on them because it is important to some. I run all my MMOs on the lowest settings. Same deal with storylines.. I don't really pay attention to the story lines. I play for the escape factor.

The question I am going to ask is this: When you tried Rift, were you still active in WOW? If so, you are never going to be able to compare a brand new game to your current addiction.

I have absolutely no affinity for any game right now. The last game I put effort into was WAR. It was fun until they destroyed my class and we gained entrance into Cities.

You played for 10 minutes and found the story to be the reason you were not interested in the entire game. Then spent a paragraph explaining the importance of gameplay. Your decision was made before you installed the game. That is not a bad thing. We all play what we enjoy. If we can burn a few hours a day doing something we enjoy, what is the harm in it? Shit, I still enjoy going back and playing P99 from time to time. I played EQ for half a decade and I have very little memory of the storyline. But the game was/is still amazing.
I haven't been active in wow for a while. Pretty much just waiting for SWTOR at this point.
      03-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Another quick note.

I won't deny my decision was made, but if it had been an actual fun and engaging game then that shouldn't matter as I'm not currently playing anything else and have spare time. I instead played the Darkspore beta and found it to be entertaining.

And I played for over 10 minutes (got to lvl 10, so possibly an hour or 2) cumulatively, across 2 different days. And I spent 2 sentences on gameplay. About as much as I did the story aspect.

In the end, there are many functional MMO's out there. In the future of MMO's, in my opinion it'll be about the story and gameplay that pulls poeple to them. In Rift, I saw no significant feature of the gameplay that really made me want to work on a character there. The soul system is different, and less restrictive than a class and talent system, however it is more restrictive than a straight up sandbox game. After my time in the original SWG, it paled in comparison.

And i'll reiterate, I also found the character movement awkward.
      03-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

By the way, Dragon Age 2 is coming out tomorrow. If it is the same step up from DA:O that ME2 was from ME1, its going to be a hell of a game.

I think my time will be much better suited there for now.
      03-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #12
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Wow, this turned into a 1 man rant thread really quick... I don't want to pick on Ultimate but do want to give my own opinion.

For background, I've played Warhammer Online, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings, DC Universe... and I know I'm forgetting some others.
The one game that pulled me in the most and kept me coming back was Warcraft.
I would say that Rift has the same potential. The beginning story was meh, I will agree. I don't care though. It's a 2 minute cutscene that I wanted to skip by so I could start playing.

The first few levels weren't too exciting but get you accustomed to the game. If you've played other MMO's it's pretty easy. A lot of the commands and menus are almost copied from WoW.
The only interface thing that bugs me is I can't figure out how to have more that one cast bar visible at a time. You have to scroll up or down panes and can only see a limited amount of spells at a time.

Questing is pretty standard. Easy to find questgivers and locations to do the quests. Standard kill/gather quests with some fun variations thrown in.

The Rifts are fun but confusing to figure out. You get thrown into random raid groups and hack away. Would be nice to figure out a way to get more organized but that depends on the other people playing.

The soul idea is pretty cool. It allows a ton of customization. It's fun to mix and match styles and make a hybrid character. Warrior 'caster' is what I'm doing now and it's a lot of fun to play.

I know, not a very good review. I can't explain exactly why I spent several hours playing it yesterday other than it was fun and I couldn't wait to explore the next area.

I would say if you have $50 to burn give it a couple hours and see if you like it.

I too am waiting for Star Wars Old Republic and Elder Scrolls V... this might not last me that long but I think I'll get a good month or two out of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

If you were referring to me, I wouldn't say that I was ranting.

I found no fault of significance with the game. Nothing in it really bothered me too much. I just found it boring. Perhaps my experience with Aion jaded me against similar art styles for MMO's, as Aion was very much a grind. However, from what I saw the quest/lvling system was only there to take up time. Not to really let me learn my class and get into the story.

Anyways. I'm just giving my opinion of the game. Which is what the thread asked for. Only when my opinion was challenged did I get more into it. Also, like I said before. If you found it fun, go for it. I'm not here to tell you what you can and cannot play. But since the OP was looking for people's opinions from Beta, then I gave mine.

Simple as that.

PS. For your issue with the 2nd toolbar, I think I was able to click on the edge of the original bar and expand it outwards for a second. But don't quote me on that, its been a while since I logged in.

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 03-07-2011 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I was more trying to say that I was surprised about no good feedback. Just picking on you because you were the only vocal one. :P

I did figure out the toolbar thing. I was trying to add one in the wrong screen. There's a customization mode where you can move everything around... that's not where you add bars. There's an interface menu with a toolbar tab and you can have tons active at once.

I've found that I got more interested in the story after your time port. You get to explore the area and learn what's happening. I've also learned how to use my skills when killing mobs. I would get beat if there were 2 or more mobs at first. Now that I've picked some better skills and know how to use them I can easily pull 3-4 at a time of same level.

We'll see how much the higher content keeps me interested... I already know I wouldn't be inclined to create a second character of the same faction. The questing areas are so linear that it would be boring to do the same stuff all over again.

I guess the best way I can put it is 'fun filler'. It doesn't suck me in like Fallout 3 did but it doesn't suck either.
The true test will be how Trion develops the game over the next few months... we'll see if they can get subscribers and keep them.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #15
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
picked up the game a few days ago and i like it a lot,

everything is just really fun to me especially when the map-wide invasions occur and you somehow end up in a 40 man raid group going around killing everything lol

i dont feel like going into detail but i'd say if you have the extra cash and want a new game then pick it up!