BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Bogo Shipyo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Need some advice on an audi a4

98 b5 a4 auto 1.8t quartto
current problems
engines sludge
abs and srs sensor light
and brake lights keep on flashing
116k miles
price - 1500

anyone experience the b5 a4 before from this forum ? im not familiar with audis but i would like to know any additional info about the car /common problems ??

kim
planning to purchase this car as a beater
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
I would post this over on Audizine.com since those guys will have more to say then we would.
      09-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogoshipyo View Post
98 b5 a4 auto 1.8t quartto
current problems
engines sludge
abs and srs sensor light
and brake lights keep on flashing
116k miles
price - 1500

anyone experience the b5 a4 before from this forum ? im not familiar with audis but i would like to know any additional info about the car /common problems ??

kim
planning to purchase this car as a beater
Well...since I started the NorCal Audi club in 1997...and have owned FIVE A4s...I guess I can comment. Sludge is a big problem...it can lead to requiring a new engine. That is a mechanics car...I wouldnt touch it if you have no knowledge of Audis...it is probably that low since someone told them they need a new engine.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Well...since I started the NorCal Audi club in 1997...and have owned FIVE A4s...I guess I can comment. Sludge is a big problem...it can lead to requiring a new engine. That is a mechanics car...I wouldnt touch it if you have no knowledge of Audis...it is probably that low since someone told them they need a new engine.
Engine sludge, I take it's the oil and what's seen when he opens the oil filler cap?

If so then there is a few possible causes.

1: Quality of the engine oil - some old Castrol oils caused this plus some oils if in the engine for a lot more miles than recommended with also cause this effect.

2: Cylinder head gasket : It may need replaced as water is entering the oil, only small amount but this will be the effect.

ABS could be a simple sensor fault but on the other car it could be an expensive fix. Best get a mechanic to run his eye over it before parting with the cash, there's always another sweet deal just around the corner so if in doubt stay away.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Engine sludge, I take it's the oil and what's seen when he opens the oil filler cap?

If so then there is a few possible causes.

1: Quality of the engine oil - some old Castrol oils caused this plus some oils if in the engine for a lot more miles than recommended with also cause this effect.

2: Cylinder head gasket : It may need replaced as water is entering the oil, only small amount but this will be the effect.

ABS could be a simple sensor fault but on the other car it could be an expensive fix. Best get a mechanic to run his eye over it before parting with the cash, there's always another sweet deal just around the corner so if in doubt stay away.
I use to be a service writer at a Porsche Audi dealership and the early 1.8T engines had this sludge issue..my best friend actually got a new engine from audi when his car had 120,000 miles on it...talk about rare!!! That doesnt happen very often. The sludge is normally found at the bottom of the engine, if I remember correctly..and it clogs up a place where it is suppose to flow through. Sorry I cant remember more..I was a writer back in 2004...and only worked there a week. I would really stay away from this car unless I was a mechanic.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
That's why I asked if it was sludge in the cap.

Funny thing is that I had two Audis with this engine, an A3 1.8T and a TT 225hp Coupe, neither engine suffered any issues though I did request the oil that was used and never accepted the VAG dealer's choice of replacement oil.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Bogo Shipyo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

thanks for the advice guys, i guess ill look more into it and actaully sign up and become a member on audizine /o=

ill let you know if theres any updates

kim
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
PoorMan
Hello my name is...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
I use to be a service writer at a Porsche Audi dealership and the early 1.8T engines had this sludge issue..my best friend actually got a new engine from audi when his car had 120,000 miles on it...talk about rare!!! That doesnt happen very often. The sludge is normally found at the bottom of the engine, if I remember correctly..and it clogs up a place where it is suppose to flow through. Sorry I cant remember more..I was a writer back in 2004...and only worked there a week. I would really stay away from this car unless I was a mechanic.
Yeah I concur..My wife had one of the early cars with that same issue. Turned us off to Audi for a while.

OP I agree with the others be wary of that car.. Good luck!
Appreciate 0