BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #2443
Letsrunem8
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Disregard me being a noob,
but how have your acquired so much knowledge about stocks/bonds and the entire financial market? I have been trying for a while, still havent fully mastered the subject. Any tips to start off would be great
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #2444
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

mkt is up, but not liking what i see...bet we selloff abit from here...not liking the action on metals.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #2445
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
mkt is up, but not liking what i see...bet we selloff abit from here...not liking the action on metals.
Right on cue, 10 pt reversal in 1.5 hrs...support at 1199-1200 ES or we go down for few more days.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #2446
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

There is no easy way...you will never master the mkts...only time and experience will guide you...dont ever blindly follow anyone...only use people for guidance...but one word of advice, most of the money will be made during the int and longterm trends and not short term trading...unless you are a true daytrader(but even they have 90% chance of losing), VST and ST are for suckers...people with real jobs will have 90% of losing if they think they can trade for VST or ST, as human emotions are volatile and predictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsrunem8 View Post
Disregard me being a noob,
but how have your acquired so much knowledge about stocks/bonds and the entire financial market? I have been trying for a while, still havent fully mastered the subject. Any tips to start off would be great
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #2447
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right on cue, 10 pt reversal in 1.5 hrs...support at 1199-1200 ES or we go down for few more days.
Met support near 1200 so selling pressure eased...VIX divergence setting up for rally...1225 important level...if we clear this level were headed towards 1255-60 ES....still think the rally to 1300's is on unless mkts accept prices below 1190...cycles work has always said we dont top until 1st quarter next yr into 1300's...if we take out 1260 then this is likely course.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #2448
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Stocking stuffer

I need some ideas as stocking stuffers. Highest money amount $35 bux, any ideas? Im stumped
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #2449
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I need some ideas as stocking stuffers. Highest money amount $35 bux, any ideas? Im stumped
condoms
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #2450
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
condoms
hahahahahaha!

we need more info. Who's it for? kid/adult/gf?

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #2451
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
toiletries, candy/chocolate, or gift cards
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #2452
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Ferrero Rocher Rondnoir (dark chocolate)

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #2453
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
^ looks good

lottery scratch offs
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #2454
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [7.50]
Yea, Lottery tickets are always fun..
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #2455
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

FBI Runs ‘Perfect Hedge’ to Nab Inside Traders

Quote:
The two men, head of securities and commodities fraud units at the New York office, faced a dilemma. Informants had told them the hedge fund industry was similar to organized crime: insular and distrusting of outsiders. Without people on the inside, the government would have a tough time gathering enough evidence to prosecute. They needed more tools to gather more information on traders who move faster, and more secretly, than your typical Mafia soldier.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...ing-class.html
      12-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #2456
Neurosis
Rep
Drives: my car is very nice.

Thank you for sharing and good luck with the thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #2457
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
Thank you for sharing and good luck with the thread.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #2458
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Seriously... this is what you tell someone who's interested in learning about finance? First of all, don't give statistics without backing them up - where do you come up with the number of 90% for the "chance" that day-traders losing? This thread is becoming a cesspool of misinformation and your personal opinions.

@Letsrunem8

If you really want to learn about finance and the stock market just start with the basics which is really the question - why is anything "trading" at a specific price? Start with bonds and learn why a specific bond is trading at a certain price (i.e. learn how a bond works, how many coupons you receive and how to take the "present value" of the payments to arrive at the "fair" price). If you move onto stocks, ask yourself why certain stocks (shares of a company) are trading at a certain price. If a company pays dividends, perhaps the value of that stock should be the present value of all expected future dividends? What about stocks that don't pay dividends - why do they trade at their price?

Again, learn the basics before you get into anything more complicated. There's no "master key" that will tell you the exact price of any given security on any given day but you should be able to get pretty close with just common sense. Once you get the basics down, stick with what you know. If you're into cars and the automotive industry, take a look at those stocks. If you're into gadgets and electronics, check out tech stocks. For example, a year ago some people might've been wondering why shares of RIM were trading so high despite their products being quite inferior to offerings from Apple or Google.

Disregard anything you read about "triangle breakouts", "head and shoulders" and "candle stick shooting stars" for now as most of those are kind of the alchemy of finance anyway (think self-fulfilling prophecy maybe).
Quote:
There is no easy way...you will never master the mkts...only time and experience will guide you...dont ever blindly follow anyone...only use people for guidance...but one word of advice, most of the money will be made during the int and longterm trends and not short term trading...unless you are a true daytrader(but even they have 90% chance of losing), VST and ST are for suckers...people with real jobs will have 90% of losing if they think they can trade for VST or ST, as human emotions are volatile and predictable.
      12-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #2459
Letsrunem8
Private
Rep

For sure, thanks guys. Any input helps and I appreciate it. I'm taking upper division finance courses next quarter. So I'm sure that'll help.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #2460
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

1. the mkts are a cesspool...fact...this thread is a cesspool...fact...everything I say on here is my opinion...fact.

2. this is a tech analysis thread...isnt a place for fundamentals...fundamentals only work during supercycle bull mkts...if it was based on simple metrics, then it would be hard to lose money as all you would need is to find co's with growing revenues and earnings...but as you know, when we enter a bear mkt, all stocks go down at once and nobody cares what their earnings are.

Prices are dictated by supply-demand ONLY.

3. If you want to learn the basic of finance, there are a million books and websites that can provide that...but we all know its all garbage...finance and trading are completely different.

4. It is my humble opinion that 90% of day traders lose money...this stat has been repeated by many others.

5. it is my strong opinion that if you blindly follow someones trading advice you will lose money.

6. plot of MSFT and CSCO for 10 yrs and what does this tell you?...unless you are lucky enough to find an AAPL or GOOG, gonna be tough when SPX hasnt gone up at all over the past 11 years...so are these normal times?

I have taken a stand and given my opinion on the mkts...I wont go into why...my job isnt to teach everything I know to strangers...I dont just spew out support resistant levels only...people will listen to who are accurate, that is all people care about really.

But to say things like " why is RIMM trading at these levels?..what are earnings doing?"...thats like learning to add and subtract while the ones you compete with are doing calculus......my word of advice, put money into metals and cash and keep IRA's in money mkts until 2 yrs from now...if you trade, use TA and cycles work...if you use fundamentals to trade this mkt, you will be in for a very unpleasant surprise next yr...so come back middle of next yr with the fundamentals pep talk, cant wait...

mom and pop are going to be very angry by end of next yr.

Lastly, nobody is saying TA is the end all for everything, just a technique, thats all...no better or worse than any other technique.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #2461
Letsrunem8
Private
Rep

Quote:
1. the mkts are a cesspool...fact...this thread is a cesspool...fact...everything I say on here is my opinion...fact.

2. this is a tech analysis thread...isnt a place for fundamentals...fundamentals only work during supercycle bull mkts...if it was based on simple metrics, then it would be hard to lose money as all you would need is to find co's with growing revenues and earnings...but as you know, when we enter a bear mkt, all stocks go down at once and nobody cares what their earnings are.

Prices are dictated by supply-demand ONLY.

3. If you want to learn the basic of finance, there are a million books and websites that can provide that...but we all know its all garbage...finance and trading are completely different.

4. It is my humble opinion that 90% of day traders lose money...this stat has been repeated by many others.

5. it is my strong opinion that if you blindly follow someones trading advice you will lose money.

6. plot of MSFT and CSCO for 10 yrs and what does this tell you?...unless you are lucky enough to find an AAPL or GOOG, gonna be tough when SPX hasnt gone up at all over the past 11 years...so are these normal times?

I have taken a stand and given my opinion on the mkts...I wont go into why...my job isnt to teach everything I know to strangers...I dont just spew out support resistant levels only...people will listen to who are accurate, that is all people care about really.

But to say things like " why is RIMM trading at these levels?..what are earnings doing?"...thats like learning to add and subtract while the ones you compete with are doing calculus......my word of advice, put money into metals and cash and keep IRA's in money mkts until 2 yrs from now...if you trade, use TA and cycles work...if you use fundamentals to trade this mkt, you will be in for a very unpleasant surprise next yr...so come back middle of next yr with the fundamentals pep talk, cant wait...

mom and pop are going to be very angry by end of next yr.

Lastly, nobody is saying TA is the end all for everything, just a technique, thats all...no better or worse than any other technique.
Thanks for your input again. No disrespect, but I wasn't asking for you to teach me everything you know but rather than to guide me where you acquired that information over a period of time. I know this doesn't come overnight to anyone nor does it come through reading textbooks and taking finals/midterms, but I am willing to learn and wanted to get pointed into the right direction. Thats all
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #2462
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Why have there been so many arguments on this thread, and why aren't we arguing about the markets. Hmmm, anyways, it looks like it was a bear trap after all and the 1265 theory is viable. As for buying TVIX, I'd wait a bit longer, wait until late dec or early January when the VIX contracts are trading at normal 30 day intervals again and not over a holiday season. It's futures contracts are already ~40-60% percent higher than its current valuation. This would be for January and the 2012 quarters 1-2.

Until then, just let TVIX get cheap.
      12-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #2463
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sorry if my rant felt directed towards you...it wasnt...my only point was to show that trading mkts is very hard and there is no easy way...will PM you with some hints.

Getting back to mkts, we should see a gap up tomorrow followed slight pullback...should see normal range day tomorrow without a trend day up like today....thats the theory anyway.

Mkts should probe 1260 level within the next week though imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsrunem8 View Post
Thanks for your input again. No disrespect, but I wasn't asking for you to teach me everything you know but rather than to guide me where you acquired that information over a period of time. I know this doesn't come overnight to anyone nor does it come through reading textbooks and taking finals/midterms, but I am willing to learn and wanted to get pointed into the right direction. Thats all
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #2464
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Thanks guys lol, and it's for me.
Appreciate 0