BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

09-12-2015, 06:06 AM   #45
apexkingjusto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Nasa ST2 S2000

Nice build man, looks like you are going down the slippery slope! Building a race car is expensive, but once you start racing w2w it gets insane! Good luck with it, and be VERY GLAD you made the right decision with proper safety. Too many people are dying in this sport from not having it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #46
chamba002
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 2009, e90 335i, FZJ80

Much inspiration
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #47
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexkingjusto View Post
Nice build man, looks like you are going down the slippery slope! Building a race car is expensive, but once you start racing w2w it gets insane! Good luck with it, and be VERY GLAD you made the right decision with proper safety. Too many people are dying in this sport from not having it.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm very happy to have this level of safety in the car. It gives a secure feeling. But it took me awhile to commit to doing the project because the car was still a street-going car, and I sorta felt bad ripping apart a beautiful car that I loved, but once it turned 6 years old and needed to be smog inspected in CA, which it would not pass due to blower and exhaust, it was a much easier decision. I really did want the safety and now I had an easy justification to do it. I turned the car over to RWE for the cage one week before it turned 6 years-old.

Now I really do like the whole process of sliding into the race seat, putting the neck restraint all in place, strapping in, buckling and tightening everything down----it's a very comforting feeling…..until of course, I realize I forgot to start the damn GoPro which sits on my front bumper…..

Slippery slope? No way. I have no idea what you're talking about. It's TOTALLY done. Well, except for the Macrolon windows, the exhaust, the solid subframe bushings, the solid control arm bushings, the solid diff bushings, the adjustable toe-arms, the custom diff, the four CSF coolers, the passenger seat setup, a Cool shirt setup, a front lip, the carbon roof, a front splitter, the back seat blank panel to cover the trunk hole, stripping more wiring, window net, totally removing the stock dash and putting a bare-bones dash in it's place, a roll cage GoPro mount, the vinyl logo stickers, the air compressor system for the pickup truck, the air springs for the pickup truck, the gas generator for the trailer, A/C for the trailer…..yup it's totally done. No slippery slope here….no sir……wait, are those Michelin slicks? Ooh I need to try a set of those! hmmm I wonder who I need to contact to retune my blower to run E85….

Last edited by dogbone; 09-14-2015 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-15-2015, 01:40 AM   #48
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Thanks! Yeah, I'm very happy to have this level of safety in the car. It gives a secure feeling. But it took me awhile to commit to doing the project because the car was still a street-going car, and I sorta felt bad ripping apart a beautiful car that I loved, but once it turned 6 years old and needed to be smog inspected in CA, which it would not pass due to blower and exhaust, it was a much easier decision. I really did want the safety and now I had an easy justification to do it. I turned the car over to RWE for the cage one week before it turned 6 years-old.

Now I really do like the whole process of sliding into the race seat, putting the neck restraint all in place, strapping in, buckling and tightening everything down----it's a very comforting feeling…..until of course, I realize I forgot to start the damn GoPro which sits on my front bumper…..

Slippery slope? No way. I have no idea what you're talking about. It's TOTALLY done. Well, except for the Macrolon windows, the exhaust, the solid subframe bushings, the solid control arm bushings, the solid diff bushings, the adjustable toe-arms, the custom diff, the four CSF coolers, the passenger seat setup, a Cool shirt setup, a front lip, the carbon roof, a front splitter, the back seat blank panel to cover the trunk hole, stripping more wiring, window net, totally removing the stock dash and putting a bare-bones dash in it's place, a roll cage GoPro mount, the vinyl logo stickers, the air compressor system for the pickup truck, the air springs for the pickup truck, the gas generator for the trailer, A/C for the trailer…..yup it's totally done. No slippery slope here….no sir……wait, are those Michelin slicks? Ooh I need to try a set of those! hmmm I wonder who I need to contact to retune my blower to run E85….
You need moar to go w2w
- Fire System
- Electrical Cutoff
- Window Net
- Center Net
It def is a slippery slope.
Then there is the fees and tires for w2w ...which is another level of expense.

Although i dont think u are planning on going w2w.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #49
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
You need moar to go w2w

Although i dont think u are planning on going w2w.
No, w2w is not in my future. I'm just out to have fun and do it with some reasonable safety in place. w2w is a whole other world. Not my cup of tea.

I do like Time Attack though!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #50
apexkingjusto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Nasa ST2 S2000

Drop gopro get an aim sporty cam gp tied to MXL turns on automatically.

Hers some of my videos with data overlay:

. This was a race at LRP

HPDE at WGI w Andrie Hartanto!

I have to budget almost 5k per race weekend! New stickers, crew/coach, brakes, prep/travel/gas.... At least $1000 worth of parts pre or post race to be replaced. Oh by the way I race a Honda!!! I wish it was never boosted, but oh well. My advice to you is sell off the blower now and figure out a class to run without blower. I built my car to the class it fit in w a blower and am not happy with this decision as I'd have to redo everything now to run a more reasonable class. Not to mention at my level (just started w2w this yr after 2 short 1/2 seasons of HPDE) I am in no position do drive something so fast....
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #51
Matt@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: V8 tricycle

Great meeting you this weekend! Had fun BS'ing and checking the car out with you. Here's a couple of shots I snapped of her. Absolutely love it!!

Appreciate 2
      09-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #52
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOcouture View Post
Great meeting you this weekend! Had fun BS'ing and checking the car out with you. Here's a couple of shots I snapped of her. Absolutely love it!!
Nice to meet you guys too! Nice pix!!

Last edited by dogbone; 09-22-2015 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 10:35 PM   #53
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both feet

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Awesome build!
Think I saw you at the Speed District event at Big Willow last month?
I was in the MK7 Golf R, but your build makes me miss my E90 even more.

Last edited by SneakyDeeky; 10-04-2015 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 09:52 PM   #54
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

what are your front camber settings? i have the same track wheels as you and may want to try 295's up front. any rubbing on the plastic fender liner? i know those JRZ's are helping you some with clearance as well...
      10-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #55
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
what are your front camber settings? i have the same track wheels as you and may want to try 295's up front. any rubbing on the plastic fender liner? i know those JRZ's are helping you some with clearance as well...
I use Vorshlag camber plates. They allow me to push the top of the damper all the way to the inside of that hole. So, I'm just going for max camber there. It turns out to be about -3.8ş, but for me, the number is arbitrary. I'm just going for as much as possible. I've found that more camber saves the outside edge of the tires. Otherwise, those edges get trashed immediately and the tires are ruined very quickly. I've considered making the hole wider so that I can get even more camber, but at some point braking performance will degrade as you get to extreme camber settings, so I haven't done it. Max camber given the strut top hole seems to give me good braking power, good turn in, and keeps the tire's edge alive enough that if I'm good about rotating wheels around, the edges last long enough. After enough heat cycles, the TD's just don't grip very well and I'm ready to get back to a fresher tire. I got to that point this weekend at Chuckwalla. The old tires still had a few sessions left tread-wise, but grip-wise they were quite far off their prime. When I switched to new tires, the new ones were over 3 seconds faster.

The 295's do rub the plastic fender liner a bit. It's not too bad but after a while it does wear through it. I believe the height the car is set at does affect this as well.

295 is not possible on a stock damper as far as I know---at least not with my 10.5" rims. As I recall, the stock damper's lower spring perch gets in the way, and if you put too big of a spacer, then you start having issues with the tire's outside edge and the fender because the tire is so wide. Camber can assist on the outside to help it tuck, but does nothing to help the issues of the inside edge. Perhaps a 10" rim is different; I don't know. I've never owned a 10" rim.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #56
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Ok, time for a little update since there's a couple new things in the car.

I went to the PCA San Diego's Chuckwalla 2-day event this weekend. I used this event to test some new stuff on the car.

1. Front lip and splitter. Yay! Finally! I love the aero on the front! It balances out the car. I was focused on trying different settings of wing angle and suspension settings every time I went out. I think I found a balance that works for me. Car feels really good. (Someone has already looked at it and said I need canards…..c'mon gimmes a break here! ok ok i'll do it…. ) One of the pix below shows how close the splitter gets to the ground in the Bowl at Chuckwalla.

Speaking of feeling good----PCA-SD requires racing suits if your car is modded enough. This weekend was 85-90ş. I've only been wearing my fire suit sporadically since the cage went in this summer---mainly because I don't really enjoy wearing heavy flannel pajamas in the middle of a hot day……so----->

2. Ultra Chiller water cooling shirt system - I decided to buy the Ultra Chiller brand over Cool Shirt. One of the main reasons is that they have a canister that can securely fastened to my cage, versus an ice chest that's webbing-strapped into a holding tray. (check out the pix) Man, I really enjoyed wearing that cooling shirt. It works GREAT! No heat issues whatsoever when the system was on. I rather enjoyed hanging out in my racing suit. By comparison, I did end up having to sit in the car for 15 minutes with the engine off, so the cooling system was not running. I was miserable. The difference of when it is on and off is stark to say the least. And since I have a sedan, where we positioned the canister makes it the easiest thing in the world to add ice, remove water, etc. I don't even need to open the door. I just reach in the window and I'm good to go. Anyway, I am quite happy that I decided to give the cooling shirt a try. It does add one more thing to deal with though----keeping enough ice around.

Chuckwalla was a good test for the splitter. My main complaint about the car was that it would start to significantly understeer beyond 80 mph in wide rounders like Riverside at Buttonwillow, or Turn 2 and 9 at Big Willow. Chuckwalla is all about rounders. I went with a time-attack-legal 5-inch-from-the-nose-of-the-vehicle splitter. I think this will be enough to balance the car out. I have continued to change suspension settings to see what the net result is. I had the opportunity to run both beat-up old TD tires and brand new TDs this weekend. With new tires, the understeer was virtually gone. With old tires, you still get a bit, but nothing like before.

And I'm happy to report that I've run my first new PB with the latest new setup, along with new tires. I dropped 3 full seconds from my previous best at Chuckwalla CW----from 1:58.8 to 1:55.8. And this was in 85 degree heat. Put up some cool weather and get me a few more days at Chuckwalla and there's plenty of room to improve.

Oh----and I have my first picture of my wheel in the air after jumping off a berm! I am so LEGIT now!

Appreciate 5
      10-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #57
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

awesome! car looks great. its interesting that a front splitter can cause understeer, i thought it would help get rid of it.
      10-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #58
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
awesome! car looks great. its interesting that a front splitter can cause understeer, i thought it would help get rid of it.
The front splitter reduces understeer. The wing in the rear creates opportunity for understeer.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #59
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I'm a dumbass... I misread your post, makes sense now. You were taking about understeer before the splitter, I get it now. Everything makes sense.
      10-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #60
Casey@RWE
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

car looks great bud!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #61
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey@RWE View Post
car looks great bud!
What would you know about it?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 11:37 PM   #62
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey@RWE View Post
car looks great bud!
Thanks for all your hard work to transform the car into this dedicated track car! It's been a fun journey!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #63
dc640
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

dogbone - tell me more about Ultra chiller - vs typical cool shirt w big 12/24 qt box - Obvious diff is the size. How is the longevity of the "coldness"?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:04 AM   #64
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc640 View Post
dogbone - tell me more about Ultra chiller - vs typical cool shirt w big 12/24 qt box - Obvious diff is the size. How is the longevity of the "coldness"?
I was considering both Cool Shirt and Ultra Chiller. Currently, the UltraChiller system cools for about an hour, but they are working on a mod to the system that will allow it to cool a LOT longer. From what they told me, they may have the cooling upgrade in about a month or so. For me, longevity of cooling wasn't an issue because I'm just an HPDE guy who does some time attack.

Ultimately, the thing that really drew me to the UltraChiller was the canister that straps to my cage. I've heard the stories of ice chests coming loose and bouncing around during a bad wreck. That's the last thing I want----20+lbs bouncing around…..So, for me, the canister seemed better than an ice chest that's webbing-strapped to a plate. Plus you gotta undo all that stuff to pull the chest out…..blah…..The UltraChiller has a red top that simply screws off and you can scoop some water out quickly (or have drained it) and dump ice in and you're good to go.

I got mine with the optional power switch. Very glad I did that. It's nice to have the option to turn it off and on.

The UltraChiller shirt has the water lines extend out from the front middle bottom. Cool Shirt has the tubes on the side. Cool Shirt recommends cutting a hole in your racing suit pocket to get the lines out. UltraChiller has you unzip the suit from the bottom to get the lines out. I preferred the UltraChiller method. Cutting the pocket liner is perhaps not deadly, but it's still an odd mod.

I believe UltraChiller is a little less money than the same Cool Shirt system.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #65
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
A few more minor updates:

-Powerflex Front Tension Arm to Chassis Bushings - minicorsa installed these bushings for me. I've driven them at Chuckwalla and Big Willow. I can't say I notice any difference with them. But I wanted to replace them since they are rubber-only bushings and they've seen plenty of action.

-Casey at RWE made a blank panel from carbon fibre to fill in where the radio controls used to be. We're using the panel to house switches. It looks quite nice! The first switch to go on there was for the cooling suit. I would also like to add another switch for the misting system. Currently the misting system does have a power switch, but it lives in the engine bay.

-I went to Big Willow this past weekend with full aero for the first time, and I was able to reduce my personal best by 2.4 seconds, down to 1:28.44. The aero offers amazing stability. It's so awesome that as I was coming into Turn 9 and braking and turning in---without any effort or drama, the car went instantly from the outer edge to the inner edge of the track without any problems. I was like….uhhh what am I doing over here already? hmmm I guess I don't need to slow down as much or turn in as early. It's going to take awhile to get used to the grip.

So, Buttonwillow is next. I'm really curious what's possible there. In addition to full aero for the first time at Buttonwillow, I will also be trying BFGoodrich R1S too. They're supposed to be grippier than TD's……we'll see!

Last edited by dogbone; 11-06-2015 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 2
divadp17193.50
      11-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #66
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

its crazy how smooth the DCT is...was just watching your video above from WSIR and you are switching gears mid corner with no drama and lightning fast.
Appreciate 0